• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Nintendo Can Improve Metroid

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Really the only thing that I can think of that Metroid can improve upon is acrobatics. It's been mentioned before, but Zero Suit Samus needs to be expanded upon.

I don't think anyone gives a damn about Zero Suit though, i've heard that version of her be called a cheap version of Snake, and i'm sure not very many people are aware that she is part Chozo either, so if Nintnedo did expand the Acrobatics she could probably do some amazing things and blow games like Prince of Persia out of the water with agile and lithe moves, and then people would be massively confused as to how.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Okay so here's my opinion. Nintendo's been holding out on Metroid. I love the series to death but it really needs a kick start.

First off we have Metroid 64, a game that was going to be put on the Nintendo 64, but never happened. Supposedly this game had a very different plot line from that of any of the other games before and after.

Next there's Metroid Dread, something that was possibly in the making, but never actually happened. It'd be easy to pull this one in to the series because Project Dread was alluded to through multiple scans in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

We also have the supposed Metroid Prime 1.5, a game that was scrapped in favor of Metroid Prime 2.

Overall 64 has no info, as you can see by the link, but the other two have a basis. Dread was alluded to in Prime 3 and could have worked for a sequel to Prime 3. Prime 1.5 has a much more powerful, and interesting plot basis with better character interaction. Now character interaction isn't needed in the Prime series much, but this game could have given us a much different story from Prime 2.

Overall, I'd love to see Retro Studios come back and fire up the Prime series again. It's still possible because of the fact that Phazze existed for millions of years. In that time frame it had to have created a planet somewhere else in the galaxy or universe that would have eventually become an exact copy the way it's supposed to.

I also had the impression of being able to fly Samus' gunship in Prime 3 and was a bit disappointed when I didn't get the chance.

As far as side scrollers go, I'd like to see Nintendo try a sequel to Fusion. Something where the X survive and make their way to another planet via Space Pirates (we saw the same thing with Prime 2/3 where Samus destroyed Dark Aether but Dark Samus' phazon particles ended up on a Space Pirate vessel).

I liked the ideas for combat behind Other M. I thought the ability to land a finishing blow was quite fun and made for a more active combat system. I'd like to see that combat system come back to a Metroid game at some point (though I could do without the story. It wasn't terrible, but it left a lot to be desired.).

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I don't think anyone gives a damn about Zero Suit though, i've heard that version of her be called a cheap version of Snake, and i'm sure not very many people are aware that she is part Chozo either, so if Nintnedo did expand the Acrobatics she could probably do some amazing things and blow games like Prince of Persia out of the water with agile and lithe moves, and then people would be massively confused as to how.

I don't see how it's a cheap version of Snake at all lol. It's just Samus with different abilities. Maybe it's because I always play as Zero Suit Samus in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but I really would like to see her nimble side developed. It would add something new to the series, and like you said, could make for some B.A. platforming sequences. And so what if she has to use stealth in parts? Does stealth and agility automatically make it a Metal Gear Solid game? No. Zelda has some stealthy parts, but I don't see anyone comparing Link to Snake.

There's just one thing Nintendo...don't baby us by making wall jumps automatic or just by hitting A repeatedly. Make us actually have good timing in order to get to some hard to get places like in the old games.

When I saw that I got to play as Zero Suit at the very end of Other M, I was really excited. Unfortunately I was just trying to escape before everything blew up, but still. It was a fun 5 minutes.

lol running with the helmet.... the epicness of Super Metroid all over again.... moving on.. lol

Yeah, my hope for Metroid is a proper 3rd person adventure with the ability to use or perhaps switch between Zero suit and the Power Suit, I had never seen the power suit 'dissolve' the way it did on other M before and when i saw that i was very excited in the hope i could play as Zero suit in the the game at will but nope =[ Sakamoto being all at once too self-aware and self-ignorant in beating Retro's prime games.

I wouldnt like to see another Prime game though, unless on the wiiU between Tv and controller you could have 1st person view on tablet and 3rd on the tv, and a choice to which if the tv was ever unavailable, if there was another Prime game then i fear that Metroid will go the same way as Zelda and just be too much of the same throughout future installments, and with Other M sucking as much as it did, it'll probably be in nintendo's fail-safe policy to go back to something they know works, namely a prime.

What Other M should have been is something more akin to DKR (lol retro again XD) and the new super mario brogames, wonderful graphics on a 2D view like Super and Fusion, Sakamoto wanted to still prove that he knew what was best for Metroid, he should have gone post-fusion and given us 'Dread' on the Wii instead of love lettering Super Metroid with Other M

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
lol running with the helmet.... the epicness of Super Metroid all over again.... moving on.. lol

Yeah, my hope for Metroid is a proper 3rd person adventure with the ability to use or perhaps switch between Zero suit and the Power Suit, I had never seen the power suit 'dissolve' the way it did on other M before and when i saw that i was very excited in the hope i could play as Zero suit in the the game at will but nope =[ Sakamoto being all at once too self-aware and self-ignorant in beating Retro's prime games.

I wouldnt like to see another Prime game though, unless on the wiiU between Tv and controller you could have 1st person view on tablet and 3rd on the tv, and a choice to which if the tv was ever unavailable, if there was another Prime game then i fear that Metroid will go the same way as Zelda and just be too much of the same throughout future installments, and with Other M sucking as much as it did, it'll probably be in nintendo's fail-safe policy to go back to something they know works, namely a prime.

What Other M should have been is something more akin to DKR (lol retro again XD) and the new super mario brogames, wonderful graphics on a 2D view like Super and Fusion, Sakamoto wanted to still prove that he knew what was best for Metroid, he should have gone post-fusion and given us 'Dread' on the Wii instead of love lettering Super Metroid with Other M

I guess I'll remain one of the few that loved the hell out of Other M. Only thing annoying in the game were the scan sections which were ********, I'll give you that. And the script wasn't the best, but I still enjoyed the voice acting and overall story. But the rest of the game I thought handled fine. I liked that it had the 2.5D feel. It made it feel like a unique game. Sure it would have been cool to see another 2D Metroid, but I'm glad that Team Ninja did what they did with Other M.

As for another Prime game, I'm all for it (just like I'm all for another 2D or 2.5D Metroid.) However, I don't think Prime should be used again just yet. I'd rather a game like Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion. That being said, my bets are on another Prime game, simply because of the controller.

I don't think Dread is ever going to happen now, or a post Fusion installment in general. Unlike Zelda fans, Metroid fans weren't annoyed at Samus's Fusion suit, it was new and different but as a whole i think the metroid community were accepting of it and Fusion was a wonderful game. But i think Sakamoto shot himself in the foot, i dont think he has any ideas for post Fusion games, its almost as if he himself didn't like it. Case in point - Zero Mission, another game that didn't go forward.
And now that Dread has become so much more than what it was originally supposed to be, a 2D post Fusion installment, the title now, i think will be reserved for a 'big' Metroid game, the SS version of Metroid as it were that supposedly shakes the core gameplay up (though which type, 2d, Prime, 3rd person?.) And a lot of that game's selling power will come from its title and probably serve as a smokescreen for something only a little different.

It sucks that Zelda has a legend like Miyamoto behind it and Metroid has a muppet like Sakamoto... Even the Metroid fans know he's a bit of a fool and forever alone and even make fun of him, Fusion of course being a rip off of Other M...

as for 1.5 it had a lot of good ideas and i can't help but ironically seeing a few ideas that Sakamoto used in Other M, which makes me giggle. i do like the idea of a homicidal/ clever AI that serves as an enemy with different personalities, there is a lot of plot and narrative freedom there and it isnt really something metroid has done, it could have really worked with some good voice acting and NPC interaction between Samus and the AI instead of the mercs in other M and P3, the idea of the location being out to kill you is a nice dimension as well and a nice change from the danger merely coming from enemies and in the case of Prime, from things not spcifically out to get you, the concept has a good menace to it and i can see it working.

Perhaps we'll get lucky with Prime 4 and it uses some of these ideas as i'd like to see it, the attacks too like the Halo melee attack. Maybe baby =]

Ohh and some of those enemies were cool too. We can but hope. But really, if the news of 'Sakamoto not in charge of WiiU metroid' ever reaches my ears then i'm gonna be very excited form that point onwards =]

I guess I'll remain one of the few that loved the hell out of Other M. Only thing annoying in the game were the scan sections which were ********, I'll give you that. And the script wasn't the best, but I still enjoyed the voice acting and overall story. But the rest of the game I thought handled fine. I liked that it had the 2.5D feel. It made it feel like a unique game. Sure it would have been cool to see another 2D Metroid, but I'm glad that Team Ninja did what they did with Other M.

With Other M it felt finished it didnt keep secrets for later it just felt as if it forgot entirely, i loved the finishing blows but once you got the Screwball that ability was lost entirely, the worst thing about M:OM aside from the scanning that you mentioned was the complete disregarding of the stick, a 2.5D game on the d-pad hurt like hell, but it was Sakamoto cutting off his own nose to spite his face in his constant struggle to kind of relive Super Metroid, i REALLY wished they'd used the stick, but i hated the Ridley inclusion, it reminded me of pokemon how he kind of 'evolved' into ridley from the 'little birdie/choogle' Samus having PTSD didnt bug me becuase id known about that for a while but the rest of it just felt broken, she had an inferiority complex without doing anyhting, had she caused the incident which led to Adma's brothers' death then maybe it would have worked but she didn't, her deactivating her powers was awful too. and the rest of the characters just really bugged me..

also.. there was a scene where Adam is fired at, but later on its like that scene never happens.... what happened there?

I also didn't like the first person switch, it was okay in loose spots but in boss battles it just made things stupidly difficult.

Other M was a lot like SS in that so much more could have been done to it to make it better with what it was.

But to each there own, M:OM will remain the worst metroid game for me, but i've played so many worse games than that outside of metroid.

Last edited:

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
Ok, how about this. You have a button that switches between first and third person. 3rd person plays like Other M with a few additions like taking cover, climbing ect. but the camera acts like in MGS or Uncharted. 1st person plays a lot like MP, but they add in running. Keep the morph ball, add in ability to use ZS Samus, bring back the scanner from MP (maybe add a different color filter, though.) The transition between 1st and 3rd person should be seamless.

Give ZS Samus more freedom in movement. She should be able to parkour, free climb, and be more acrobatic. Also make her gunwhip (not sure what it's called) more versatile. Keep the creepy atmosphere from the previous games. Maybe add humans here and there that need help. The humans should be able to fend for themselves to a point, so their not seen as baggage.

Keep the narration, but use it very sparingly. This gives us a glimpse of who Samus really is, but also let's us fill in the blanks. Don't make it as monotone; I understand Samus being depressed, but she really sounds bored more than anything. This combined with the fact that she was being ordered around (in Other M) made her seem even more bored, IMO.

Forgive me if any of this sounds stupid; I happen to have a splitting headache ATM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom