• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How Many Towns?

how many towns?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• More

• OVER 9000!

• Total voters

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
LOL You're looking for a specific number? Okay, so over 9000 is obviously more than any game needs, but to answer the question I would say that a Zelda game (or any game) ought to have as many towns as is worthwhile.

Take Bethesda's games, for instance. Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Elder Scrolls. There can be as many as three or four major cities and dozens of small settlements, each one with something going on. And that's the key. Towns are centers of activity and there must be something in them for players to do.

Take Kakariko Village from Ocarina of Time. There was loads of stuff to do there. Hunting (and skewering) chickens, dropping into holes, seeking heart pieces, chatting with townsfolk, shopping. Then look at Kakariko Village from Twilight Princess. What is there to do? not. much. The Hidden Village had even less. Hunt cats then leave. Castle Town had the most going on.

So, Zelda has always had at least Castle Town and Kakariko Village. Zelda II had about a dozen towns give or take. I think there is certainly room for more towns in Hyrule, but only if there's reason to visit.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Since I want the new game to take place in the Link-Is-Defeated timeline and want Nintendo to use the Adventure of Link overworld as a starting point, I chose 'More' since it's littered with towns.

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
It's hard to give a specific number but I like a game with alot of towns. Preferably there should be a town for each distinct geographical region. So if a game has a desert, mountain, ocean, and forest area, there should be at least 1 town corresponding to each of these. Also add to that Link's hometown and a castle town.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Above and beyond seven towns. I want a world to explore; of the breadth of an MMORPG. The Wii U can do it if my lame PC can. I want settlements, towns, castles and so much more. I know Nintendo can do it.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
I would like A TON of towns and by A TON i mean about 12-13. I would like to see that many because it adds life to the game. If it could be more interactive like MM I would love that. because not only would you have that main quest to for-fill but also all the people to take care of to if you wanted. it wouldn't effect the out come of the game or anything but I would like to see somethign like that.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
While I do generally follow the idea of Quality before Quanitity I feel as if in a series such as Zelda this sometimes isn't enough and we need at least 3 really good quest hubs to be in. TWW is an example of too much, hardly anything to do in the towns while SS is too few, lots of things in Skyloft but that's it.

So a balance would be ideal, 3-5 content rich hubs/towns spread across the overworld, not too close to each other and in diverse areas of the map so we don't end up with half the towns in the same landscape but a good variety. MM would be a good example, we have Clock town the main hub, then 4 towns in each landscape spread evenly however MM's problem was that the othe ´r towns didn't have enough content. However with the WiiU I'm optimistic that the engine could handle at least 5 content rich hubs spread across the overworld, crawling with people and stuff to do.

I voted for seven towns in the poll primarily because that's a symbolic number in Zelda-perhaps a naming system after the sages could be used as in AoL-but I'd vouch for many centers of activity.

It'd be interesting for Nintendo to use ideas from past games and incorporate them into a new whole. I wouldn't mind seeing another city in the sky like Skyloft or the ever famous Castle Town and Kakariko Village once more.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I don't think it can be put to a pure number. It's not what matters anyway. Preferably, I'd like few towns, each with plenty of content and having plot-relevance. Backtracking to each would be of no issue with at least a decent warping system. If there were a dozen towns, it's only more likely they would each lack in some regard.

I like that adventure of Link seemed to have a lot of towns but they were very much all the same from what i saw. Like others i'd say we'd need as many towns as is required, sometimes we can do loads in one place and it feels like enough, others had a lot of places and we did very little in each which didnt make them feel like a town at all. If we're gonna have an influx of towns in Zelda i'd like them all to have enough to do within them to make them worthwhile. Though I'm very used to Zelda just having one 'centre of the universe' town like Kakariko and Windfall, they have their charm in that theyre unique, perhaps more towns, however full, will feel less special and it may drop the game into soulless mundanity but who knows. More towns would certainly be welcome or at least more towns with a purpose, gives us a town like Kakariko, a small at-the-foot-of-a-mountain community, and then perhaps give us a harbour town as we saw in Adventure of Link, kind of. I thin that'd be pretty swell =]

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
I don't really see the need for over 9,000 towns, so I would be happy with four. I honestly don't see the fascination with alot of towns in games, especially one like Zelda. Nintendo would be smarter just to keep it on the downside so as not to mess the game up or ruin it. If done right then more towns would be nice, but the chance of failing is, as always, pretty high.

Deeds

no text
I don't really see the need for over 9,000 towns, so I would be happy with four. I honestly don't see the fascination with alot of towns in games, especially one like Zelda. Nintendo would be smarter just to keep it on the downside so as not to mess the game up or ruin it. If done right then more towns would be nice, but the chance of failing is, as always, pretty high.
How can you go wrong with more towns?
More towns make the game longer, and we all want a long game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom