• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How many languages do you speak?

Myself am a Chilean native, so Spanish is my native language. I also speak fluent English, and I've been living in the US for 2 years now.
I also took 3 semesters of German in college but I'm forgetting everything already. It still was useful when visiting Switzerland, Austria and Germany last year, with phrases and word meanings coming back to me.

If you only speak one language, I encourage you to learn a second one!

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
1344454898171_7376760.png

Since those only tend to count as one language though, I'll say that I really only speak english. I learned a little Spanish in high school, and can still speak it somewhat probably, but I'm far from fluent

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
See above picture lol. I'm british native so english is first language, I learnt french for 5 years at school and did one year of german, probably only basics though to get by in the respective countries but not hold a conversation

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I speak English as my native language. I used to be pretty good at Spanish, though having not used it in quite some time these days I can probably only remember the naughty words. Those are the ones that stick with you even as the others fade.

I also learned a bit of French in school but I never took to it and wasn't particularly good.

I'll be learning some Japanese as I'll be going for a few weeks next year and it would be useful to be able to communicate ok with the people.

Last edited:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I'm fluent in English and getting pretty ok in Japanese. I went out last night with a couple of girls who are on exchange from Saitama University (near Tokyo) and our conversations are kind of a mix between the two lanaguages so we can help each other learn the opposite language. I still have another year of studying Japanese before moving to Japan to study it full time for a year, so by the time I get back I'd hope I'm pretty good at it.

I currently know only about 300 kanji so there is a long way to go there.

Monja Elisa

Hyrulean Princess
Are we talking fluently?
Fluently... Im born a norwegian, so I speak norwegian fluently. I also know and speak English pretty fluent....

Understandingwise... I cant really read or talk japanese-- but I can somewhat understand the language after a few crash courses in the languages... I have no issues watching anime raw.... I did take german in school, and I knew alot then... ofcourse now, I litterally forgot it all... LOL
so thats all for me~ LOL

Last edited:

Misty

Ronin
I speak English beyond usual native capability to the point people teasing me have said I speak it like it's my second language. (That English degree pays for itself every day.)

I'm currently studying Japanese on my own time but it's slow going.

Two languages and one dead language.
Fluent in English and speak broken Cantonese/can understand.
Took 4 years of Latin in high school...kind of forgot it now. So useful..

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
English is my native language and I can proficiently speak/get by in Japanese, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese.

Over the years, I have also studied Afrikaans (I only remember a few words and phrases), Hebrew (know some individual words, can read and write, but not speak coherently nor understand), Mandarin (again, just a few words and phrases), and French (A1 level only).

English is my primary language, and I know a little Spanish after learning the language for three years in high school.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Swedish is my native language, so I know that. But I also speak English, as you might guess, and I have done that for a long time. In school I took French, but I only remember a few words by now... It's a very difficult language...

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Just one. I took Spanish and French in high school, but neither of them really stuck beyond a few words. I found Spanish easier than French, but I wasn't too great at either of them. I've thought about possibly trying to learn a different language on my own sometime though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom