• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past How Hard is Minimalist?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
yo yo yo one of these days I'mma pick up ALttP for my GBA, but I was in the wondering as to if ALttP Minimalist is very hard compared to a more regular playthrough. I know that having only the Master Sword for the Dark World will make things like Ganon extremely tough, and one can only take so many hits with the Green Jerkin, but is there anything else to look out for?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Very hard indeed. I went through the game minimalist some time ago. Dungeons aren't too bad compared to their regular selves, but bosses I find are the most amplified aspect in difficulty in this case. Dying against a boss and needing to go through the dungeon again is an enormous pain.

I am yet to beat Ganon in this style. I have the file on my GBA forever taunting me in the fact it will remain incomplete...

Since it's impossible to leave a completed dungeon without picking up the heart container dropped by the boss, you obviously can't do a three-heart run or anything, but... I've done a run where I've 100% everything except tunic/sword/shield upgrades and...yeah. The rest of the game is a nice challenge, but it's not impossible or anything. Just takes skill and quick wits and whatnot. There isn't much I have to say about super risky environments except to not be clumsy. xP So, a playthrough with the green jerkin isn't much different than a standard playthrough, really. It's just annoying at times. The sword is the same way, though. You just have to strike things more times because it does less damage. So yeah... mostly the same.

The final battle with Ganon? ...Not so much. With the green jerkin, the impact it has on your life meter is outrageous compared to anything else in the game. These are your heart depletion factors:

Contact with Ganon - 8 hearts
Contact with Trident - 4 hearts
Contact with fire - 4 hearts

Also, attacks from the Master Sword cannot harm Ganon unless you perform a spin attack. Even so, these attacks do minimal damage making you have to strike him, like, 12 times before he even starts channeling fire. Charging spin attacks slows your walking speed and makes you pretty vulnerable to attacks. This makes it really difficult to avoid getting hit if you don't know what you're doing--and because the green jerkin is so penetrable, merely a few slip ups can lead to a game over.

So... Carbon. I bid thee luck.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Contact with Ganon - 8 hearts
Contact with Trident - 4 hearts
Contact with fire - 4 hearts

Also, attacks from the Master Sword cannot harm Ganon unless you perform a spin attack. Even so, these attacks do minimal damage making you have to strike him, like, 12 times before he even starts channeling fire. Charging spin attacks slows your walking speed and makes you pretty vulnerable to attacks. This makes it really difficult to avoid getting hit if you don't know what you're doing--and because the green jerkin is so penetrable, merely a few slip ups can lead to a game over.
Geez. These are just ridiculous parameters...and I love every last one of them. I'll try my hardest; thanks for the good luck wish :yes:
I've done a few endurance runs in other Zeldas, however it seems to me like Mothula may give me the most trouble and not Ganon. In any case, I'll learn as I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom