• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How emotional is Link

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend

I prefer the Link with less emotions.
For example, if the character has a pre recorded emotion, we see it and we imbue the emotions in us whereas if there's less emotion, we conjure emotions of our own

Gorozoron

wild ride
n580ni8ccvx41.jpg

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Depends on the game. In the older games he shows little to no emotion and in fact can't do so easily
The 3d games with more expressive facial animations have better conveyance of emotion, but even then, the hero of time isn't incredibly emotive- he's shocked or angry every so often but to my recollection he never shows a positive emotion in the way ww tp and SS links are able to.
These three links have the widest range of emotion and I would say skyward sword is even a step beyond the other two in terms of expression and behavior. Part of this is due to the insane quality of the animations in that game, but it also has more of a focus on story than most Zelda games and as such spends time making sure link reacts to the story in reasonable ways (no empty-eyed smiles of default faces like in a certain Pokemon game)

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Most Links aren't very emotional. The only ones I can think of that are expressive are WW, TP, and SS Link, and even then, WW takes the cake for having the widest range of facial expressions he makes throughout the game. Even though he doesn't speak (beyond shouts and "COME ON!"), WW Link actually feels like his own person because of that.

Being emotional and expressive aren't quite the same thing. You could say a lot of the Links are rather passionate about what it is they set out to do, they do have motive or drive to conquer their challenges in the name of something they hold dear, but stoicism doesn't nullify that underlying passion. I don't express myself much in person, but that doesn't mean I'm apathetic or unemotional.

But you can also say that just because Link has reactions to things, doesn't mean it's directly tied to emotion. Most people would react to being hugged by a redead with disgust, and that doesn't necessarily mean it's an emotional response so much as a "what the ****, get off me." Expressiveness can mean other things. Link running out of stamina and being a drama queen isn't an emotion, that's just him being an idiot.

But for expressiveness, how much Link's actually conveying what may be going on in his head, I'd say the Wind Waker and Skyward Sword Links are the most transparent about those feelings in their facial expressions and body language and stuff.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
One thing I love about what they do with Link is they don't take the time to tell us exactly how he's feeling. In AoC every other cutscene seems to be "Zelda feels this way" and "Zelda feels that way" and by the end of it you're just like "okaaaay, we get it, Zelda is whiny. Move on with the story". By restricting Link's speech, they also restrict the ways he's able to express himself. He doesn't just say "Oh no King Bulbin took Ilia now I am distressed." You can tell that by his facial expressions and by his friendship with Ilia, you subliminally figure it out yourself really understand it more than if he straight out told you. I think it works better that way.

Judgement

Vile? I am a sorcerer now.
Link is supposed to be partly a canon character and partly an extension of the player. So not having an emotionally expressive Link leaves room for the player to fill in that aspect of the character's reactions -- making the player's emotional state canon for Link in that specific player's playthrough, in an interesting way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom