• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword How Does Demise Resemble Ganon?

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
In game lore, Demise supposedly looks different to all who see him, but we as the players all saw the same thing. That means that his character design looks similar to Ganondorf (if you agree with that notion). Also, because of the supposed "curse" that Demise says and the concept that Ganondorf is the most reoccurring villain in the series, it is not far fetched to say that Nintendo wanted Demise to be the source of Ganodorf's reoccurrence. You could say that Demise is the source of all the villains in Zelda games, but again that "reocurring villain" thing makes it more likely that it's only related to Ganondorf considering the G-man is the only threat that reoccurs so frequently. We don't have concrete proof that Ganondorf is connected to Demise, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo wanted people to believe so.

To add to this, it is irrelevant to use the fact that Demise appears differently to everyone to discount any similarity to Ganondorf because we as the player are all supposed to see Demise through Link's eyes. Link sees Demise as similar to Ganondorf because Nintendo wants to instill the connection between Demise and all future villains as Link sees them.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
Right--the point is that Nintendo is superimposing an implied visual connection when there is no underlying logic supporting one. This is especially true as, if the curse truly does link Demise to every villain in every game, Ganondorf is really the only one that resembles the form we saw Demise take at the end of SS. Vaati certainly doesn't look anything like Ganondorf or Demise, for example.

Personally, I don't see much resemblance between the two... Ganondorf's a gerudo, Demise is a demon. Unless you want to call the gerudo a bunch of Demonic looking girls, I don't see much of a way to compare them.

Not to be nit-picky, but who's to say that all Gerudo look exactly the same? Not all Hylians look the same, so why would all Gerudo look the same? I mean, sure, the lot of the in-game Gerudo designs are identical to one another; however, in a realistic setting, it can be assumed that each Gerudo—while sharing basic traits—has unique qualities all her own. Probably not wise to overgeneralize...

With that being said, Ganondorf can still share the basis physical traits of the Gerudo race, all the while sharing aesthetic qualities of his alleged progenitor.

Also... I've come to surmise that Demise and Ganon(dorf)—and probably every other villain in the series—are one and the same. Simply beings that exist outside of time and therefore exist all together at once; defiers of time, if you will. This, however, is too complex for those who are not too keen on science and math, therefore it is likely simpler as well as "convenient" to believe that Ganondorf is Demise's hatred incarnate...

Hmm... I wonder what Demise looked like to SS Zelda, and moreover, what Ganon looks like to OoT Zelda... or anyone else for that matter (hypothetically speaking).

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
Also... I've come to surmise that Demise and Ganon(dorf)—and probably every other villain in the series—are one and the same. Simply beings that exist outside of time and therefore exist all together at once; defiers of time, if you will. This, however, is too complex for those who are not too keen on science and math, therefore it is likely simpler as well as "convenient" to believe that Ganondorf is Demise's hatred incarnate...

This is a great theory. It certainly would be an interesting way to tie everything together, although it starts to create some problems for people who want a visual link between Demise and his reincarnations as none of the other villains besdies Ganondorf in the series have the red hair/big nose/black cloak look that Nintendo was clearly trying to use to connect Demise to Ganondorf in SS. But would this include all villains in all worlds, or just villains in Hyrule? Does Demise have the power to extend his curse to Termina, or Holodrum/Labrynna?

Hmm... I wonder what Demise looked like to SS Zelda, and moreover, what Ganon looks like to OoT Zelda... or anyone else for that matter (hypothetically speaking).

I don't know that it would make sense for Ganondorf to take on a different appearance to everyone that sees him (ala Demise). The main thing that makes this problematic, imo, is that Ganondorf is supposed to be a mortal (until he begins seizing the triforce, obviously) reincarnation imbued with a demonic essence, not necessarily the Demon King resurrected. It seems quite clear at the end of SS that Demise isn't saying he will return in full force, but rather that a portion of his power and his now famous hatred will be bestowed upon some chosen individual, much like the Hero's powers are continually bestowed upon later reincarnations of Link.

I don't think they're anything alike at all, in personality, in looks or even reason for being. But to be fair, them being similar isn't the point of why they both exist. I like to think of Ganondorf completely separate from Demise and the curse and everything that SS told me because i didnt enjoy, dont want to consider it an integral part of Zelda's story because in my eyes it diminutises everything nintendo had built over the 25 years leading up to SS.

How does Demise resemble Ganon? I've heard numerous people tell me they look similar, but I don't really see it. Demise is a huge pulsating greyish guy with black scales, and Ganon is a huge blue pig monster.

Demise has a large black anti-Master Sword. Ganon never uses any weapon resembling this.

Demise is talkative. Ganon is usually silent.

Demise has flaming hair. Ganon has orange hair in some depictions.

So how are these two so similar?

When people are talking about Demise resembling Ganon, they're referring to Ganon's human form: Ganondorf. While Ganon is often the name of the beast and Ganondorf the name of the man, in-game characters like Zant and the King of Red Lions use both interchangeably since they are the same character. Demise gives an impression of Ganondorf for many players due to his bulky body, flaming (red) hair, big nose, and the fact he's voiced by Ganondorf's voice actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom