• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Interpret Link?

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
We all know that Link is silent mainly for the reason so the person playing projects their own personality onto Link. Some people though, like myself, want to him to have his own personality. So how to you interpret Link in general? Do you think he's funny, or the strong silent type? (Haha). Or do you believe that he is your Link to the game therefor he has no personality? Of course I'm talking about the 3D games and newer 2D, the 2D older ones don't give him much of a personality.

I personally think he's a slightly socially awkward, and would often rather be on his own. I think he is probably really into protecting things he loves, and takes on responsibility without question. These are the characteristics I give him. What about you?

That is a great question. I want to see him as me in the games but I just find that hard to do for no apparent reason. So I see him as just a quiet person but not socially akward.

Kaiser Kami

Warrior of Kaiser
I see Adult Link as a strong silent type but throughout the game becomes more open with people. Child Link is a more comical and strong willed type but throughout the game he drops the comical side to see the seriousness of the situation he's in.

D33V92

Son of the Patriots
Link is kind in all sense of the word. He is strong both emotionally and physically. He is used to being alone, and has an introverted personality. But, he has a strong closeness with the few friends he has. He's done bad things before, but learns from his mistakes like an honest person. He's intelligent and learns quickly, but his only education comes from personal experience and his relationship with those around him. And of course, he is incredibly courageous and willing to make sacrifices for the sake of others.

I never really thought about this.
I thought that Link was just a regular kid trying to be a Hero. I always thought of him as a non-social type of person. I sometimes think that maybe once he'll say something just randomly because he is always a quiet kid, but no, he always grunt's when he's doing something. o_O

Link is definitely your link to the game. That is how it was originally intended and it hasn't changed. The sole reason he's mute is because of this, although it is mixed with the "silent protagonist" archetype. In recent times he has changed to have more personality, and this may be them phasing him into being his own character, or rather I think its really them trying to turn him into a balance of player proxy and legitimate character. Give him a personality, but make it somewhat vague and "heroic" while making him silent, allowing the player to identify as him while still making him his own character. I think its a pretty good setup as is, but overall I'm indifferent about Link.

As for the specific personality of Link? Differs from game to game. He was a lazy kid in The Wind Waker, but he was dedicated to his family and friends and even if he was a little cowardly he fought through many challenges to save everyone. In Twilight Princess he was a hard-working, kind and serious farm-worker. He had a strong sense of justice, and he was a father or brother figure to many different people and wanted to protect everyone.

The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess fleshed out his personality the most. Other Zelda games haven't done it half as much as those two, even Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think Link is a loner who had his destiny just dropped right into his lap out of the blue as if it was nothing, and is expected to adapt and proceed as if it's second nature. And he does. Link seems to have the invaluable ability to cope with any given situation and deal with it one way or the other. I see Link as a kid unwillingly dragged into a lifetime of battles and hardships, and the only motivation is his sense of justice.

Link is also a kind person, with a strong, unwavering will to never give up. He is chosen by the Gods, and with that blessing comes courage. Link has the courage to stand up to anything no matter what the cost, because he knows that if he fails, his family and friends will be in danger and be won't be around to help them anymore.

I think that's what drives him the most. Link is given a unique power, and while it is one to banish evil, it is also one to protect. Link has the power to protect his friends, his loved ones, his home and his world. And he uses it for just that. He obtains power for the sake of protecting, and he couragesly fight evil to ensure the things he wants to protect are safe.

And like a true hero, at the end, he walks away before he can get the thanks he deserves. Because it's not like he did it to be thanked in the first place. He did it...

...For the sake of protecting.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I totally agree that he cares more than anything about his friends. I think that in Twilight Princess, he's just a normal guy who got thrust into this adventure. The only reason he ever went as far as Lanayru Province was to save Ilia, and the only reason he finished it out is to make sure they will always be safe, and not become spirits or get kidnapped again. In Wind Waker it's pretty much the same thing. He goes to the Forsaken Fortress to save Aryll, and continues in order to ensure everyone is okay. I don't really feel like he had much motivation in OoT or MM, he was basically just told "go save the world" and so he does. As a result, I think he has less of a personality because he didn't really choose to go on the adventure.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I've been in topics like this before.

The short answer to how I interpret Link - read my fan fiction.

The longer answer... (going by the actual canon games, not the cartoon), I see the various Links as having similiarites (a "base soul" ) and some differences. I see them all as brave, first of all (this is the core trait), fairly humble (word of Miyamoto on that, he's said in an interview somewhere that he envisioned Link as a "brave but humble young man). I see them as essentially independant souls, valuing personal freedom highly. They also care very deeply for friends/relations and want to do the right thing, always. There's always a hint of mischief in them - I see them as maybe a bit more Chaotic Good or Neutral Good than Lawful Good. They like shiny weapons and exploding things way too much to not have a little "chaos" in them. My Links tend to think a lot about what they must do to save the land - in other words, even though they must kill things, any given Link is a "soldier" not a "homicial maniac." Above all, Link is a noble soul.

Some of the differences between them as seen in my fan works:

Original LoZ/AoL Link: The traveler who gets caught up in the troubles of a land not his own (Hyrule). Takes up the sword because he knows that things "just aren't right" and cannot stand to see good people suffer. Good at wilderness-survival.

ALTTP/LA: I haven't written him very much, actually - mostly a small spot in a larger fan fiction. Kind of a confused kid caught up in things he doesn't have much understanding of, but brave, tough. (as I wrote him, a bit guilt-ridden over the fate of a certain island).

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask: Young Link is very serious for his age. He strikes me as a rather serious child, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't enjoy play. He's very playful, he's just more responsible and even grim-minded (especially in Termina/after Termina) than the average kid of 10-11-12. I also like the quirky idea that he does not know how to read. This was taken from a friend of mine, who noticed that the Kokiri (and Link) seem to use fairies to read all the signs.

Adult Link - I do think he matured a little in spirit as well as in body during the magical seven-year's sleep, because there was probably some necessity for it, but mostly, he is a young man with the memories and essentially the soul of a child. It probably enables him to retain the "pure heart" he needs as the Hero of Time. He's rather playful and interested in learning. He has a very ardent desire to "protect." Will of steel.

The both of them, in one- Adult Link has the memories/heart of a child, while Young Link - post being sent back in time by Zelda, has something of an adult heart (from having been one for a while) in a child's body. This makes him a bit of a confused, dualistic being. He takes it in stride, though. I also tend to like the idea of him getting a bit twitchy on nights with full moons after Termina, and suffering nightmares leftover from his experiences. Also, in my fanfictions involving his death, he has an unfortunate tendency to linger as a spirit because he wants to continue to protect people even when he lacks any real power to do so anymore.

Wind Waker Link - A brave, ENERGETIC little boy who loves what family he has left more than anything in the world and will beat you sensless if you lay a hand of harm on his little sister. When I played that game, the kid just struck me as a little ball of energy. Probably quite optomistic.

Twilight Princess Link - Responsible, hardworking and tough. A very kind soul, but also with a touch of grit. I seem to write him (in my fanfictions) as being able to come to terms with things fairly easily - he's had a lot of hardship in life (including a running thing in my fanfictions where he survived a plauge that killed his parents). Values freedom highly. Also very bright (I think all the Links are very bright) and unlike the Hero of Time, an avid reader from a young age (he has many books in his house). Well-versed in old legends, including the ones about the Hero of Time. Tends to be a bit of an artist, likes to sketch and draw. In fanfics of mine where he dies, he tends to accept his death easily, often "moving on" easily, or lingering to help out friends, but being at peace about everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom