• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Feel About More Adult Link?

Personally, I must say, Adult Link is my favorite. Even though he's only been in three games (well, really four, but Adventure of Link doesn't really count, given that he's 8-bit and all) He's the most awesome, heroic, and generally, when the game has a seventeen year old hero as opposed to a ten year old one, it's much more serious of a game. Many of my favorite games in the series have an adult Link in them, and I think that's not only because I like controlling someone who's seventeen more than ten or twelve, size-wise, but also because the games tend to be more epic, dark, and generally more serious and easier to take seriously when it gets serious.
If they wanted to drop ten-year-old/twelve-year-old/toon Link entirely, and just make Adult Link games from now on, I would not complain one bit. If I had my way, this is how it would be (though no doubt many would disagree). I just really like a seventeen-year-old hero more than a younger hero. In addition, after playing Skyward Sword, it feels weird to think of Link as a kid in some games, given that the original, REAL Link was seventeen or so, like in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess.
In addition to all this "preference" garbage, I think, generally, that when portraying Link as near-adulthood, it's easier to give him some character, reveal more about his personal motivations, and create a more character-driven story that's really about this guy.
Note: The Wind Waker is the exception to everything I said in the last paragraph.

So, how do you feel about all this? Do you want to see more Adult Link? Less Adult Link? Bring back Toon Link? An even mix of them all?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I would really appreciate Adult Link in a future game with more mature undertones. Perhaps Zelda Wii U could do this -- graphical power sure says it can.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Well first off, I disagree that it's easier to portray adult link's character over a young link's character. As adult link, most of the actions that depict his character at all are in times of seriousness. It is a rare occasion to see adult link enjoying himself. And even in real life, adults mask their emotions waay more than children do, which is why i think it'd be easier to portray the character of a young link over an adult link.

I wouldnt say i absolutely prefer young link, because i would get sick of him if that's the only character they had. One of the pros of adult Link is that you can actually have conversation with different adults and not have them tell you to shoo because you're just a kid (if the game is being realistic). Adult link succeeds where young link lacks, and vice versa. Adult link can much more greatly provide a sense of epicness and seriousness to a game. Plus it's more realistic to have a almost adult weilding large swords, sheilds, bows, bombs, etc.

Young link however, can capture a different emotional side. We see young links laughing and smiling much more often than adult links. Plus i think that with young links, it's easier to portray fear, sadness, and even anger since children have difficulty masking their feelings. Plus a big pro for young link is that (IMO) he povides a greater sense of adventure. Honestly which is more likely, a 17 year old leaving their home, or a 10 year ol leaving their home? Having a tiny ten year old thrust into a massive big bad world is more perilous and adventurous IMO

They both have their ups and downs. While i certainly would not be happy with just one of them, i'd have to say that maybe 3 out of 5 times id choose young link over adult link.

I also would like to see something in between, like a teen link maybe. we've only seen children link and near adult/adult link, why not a link thats 14-16 years old?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
This is actually something I was hoping would happen in Twilight Princess, but, alas, that dream did not come true. *sigh*

I definitely wouldn't mind if this were to happen. I know it's not necessary, but it would be a huge step forward in giving Link more character development. SS appears to have begun to make Link more alive in the stories. If this sort of thing were to happen in Zelda Wii U (or 3DS, I suppose), it would take Link even farther as a character, and that's something the series can only benefit from.

I think with the 3D/home console games we'll see adult Link a lot more from now on. Whereas depending on if Nintendo keeps making 2D Zelda games for the 3DS it hink young Link will continue to pop up. For the WiiU i definitely think we're going to get adult Link and now that nintendo have gone HD we'll probably get a lot more 'darker' Zelda games with moody lighting epic scenery etc etc that would suit adult Link more than young Link. Though we can never be sure what nintendo are going to do, they're such a big fan of cel-shading that we'll probably see a younger Link again at some point if they decide to go HD Wind Waker.

for me personally, I prefer adult Link, he's very cool. Young Link aggravated me in OoT and MM, not so much in Wind Waker but he had a lot of charm in that and looked like a teletubby. So yeah I'm hoping for adult Link to become the mainstay. And if nintendo do go for more 2D games on the 3DS, who knows we may even see adult Link there at some point, it'd certainly be interesting to see such a thing.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
I like eather one, i started my Zelda journey with WW and enjoyed it very much, however ive grown used to older Links like in TP, i could see future Zelda games going eather way. However alout of times i enjoy a more mature cool looking Link.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well I'm fine with him being 17-18. I'm 18 so I can relate more. I don't think the experience would be even more mature just because link is a few years older.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I would love to have no more toon Link because I don't like the toon graphics much. I like adult Link though. I wouldn't say drop child Link entirely however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom