• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How did Ganon die?

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I'm sure you all know that whoever bears the Triforce is unable to die correct? That seems WRONG! I'm out of my wits here.

In OOT Ganondorf says that so long as he holds the Triforce of Power he cannot die. This doesn't seem to be the case in the first game where we fight Ganon who has the triforce of Power yet he dies and we can tell the triforce was within him because it was in his remains after he blew into a bloody goop.

Can anyone explain this cause it really confuses me.

The Triforce keeps him from dying, but he loses it in the games that he actually dies in. The oldest game is, well, old, and they didn't have a whole lot of backstory about the Triforce at the time. Meaning basically that back then having the Triforce of Power meant he was more powerful, but it didn't mean anything about dying.

There are three games in which Ganondorf loses the Triforce and apparently dies. Those are

1: The original LoZ - As I had stated, there wasn't much backstory, so it wasn't like Ganon losing the Triforce was a huge deal. Shoot him with a magical silver arrow, and he's dead.

2: Twilight Princess - As Ganondorf (human), the Triforce symbol is shown losing its glow on his hand after being impaled by the Master Sword. We know the Master Sword is more than just a blade and that it has the power to repel evil. Thus, Ganondorf being evil, the Triforce of Power fueling that evil, means that if the Master Sword is jabbed through him and left there, it would slowly drain his power, life, and even the Triforce of Power from his body.

3: Wind Waker - As Ganondorf (human), he finally gets the three pieces together atop Hyrule Castle during the final battle. Therefore, all three pieces leave Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda, so neither has them anymore after this point and apparently don't have them again considering this is the last big game on that side of the storyline (so far). However, the King of Red Lions wished on the Triforce instead of Ganondorf, then the Triforce left. So Ganondorf, after being stabbed through the head by the Master Sword, would then die, or in this games case turn to stone, which is basically dying as well.

Some might also say Ganon has the complete Triforce in A Link to the Past, however we know he wished upon it, we do not know that he actually has it all in his possesion (as in using the full power at his will). Seemingly, Ganon merely has the relic held within the Pyramid which he has made his base. Whether or not he has control over its power at this point in time has never been confirmed, as no one really knows how Ganon managed to get access to the Triforce for a second time historically. But apparently, like in the original LoZ, the Silver Arrows carry a power similar to, if not greater than, the Master Sword itself. A power so great, that it can destroy Ganon and pull the Triforce of Power from him.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Ganondorf did not die in Ocarina of Time, no matter how much of a bloody pulp:S Link beats him into. He's sent into the Dark World, which sets things up for The Wind Waker a little, although a lot happens between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker.

In The Wind Waker, he doesn't have the Triforce anymore when Link kills him. If you're paying attention earlier in the cutscene, the Triforce ascends to somewhere above the surface.

In Twilight Princess, the Triforce of Power disappears from Ganondorf's hand before he completely dies. This could lead to a theory about the Triforce having a mind of its own.>.>

The Legend of Zelda also involves the Triforce of Power somehow being seperated from Ganon's body when he dies.

In A Link to the Past, he doesn't even have the Triforce. He left it in the next room. XP

There's no argument about the Oracle games, as he never obtains the Triforce.

I think that's everything. He doesn't die in any of the games I didn't mention.

A

Alkarius

Ganon died, most likely from what Dark Link said, but here's a different theory of mine.

TP: Link stabbed him riht where the Sages also stabbed him, no? That would have either made the wound worse, because the Sage's sword was infused with the power of Light, plus the Master Sword, the blade of evil's bane, hit that wound, which most likely would have left Ganon to die, but since Zant and Ganondorf's bodies are connected, and Zant kills himself, that kills Ganondorf as well, since he most likely would have survived that if Link hadn't of stabbed him, because the Master Sword repels evil, which drained Ganon's life force, which is why he died in TP

LOZ: Same as DL

WW: He didn't nescessarily die from being trapped in the stone, since he doesn't lose his Triforce, which is why I think he was just awakened at some point between after WW and PH, and PH he's resting, letting Bellum take care of Link.

The Triforce keeps him from dying, but he loses it in the games that he actually dies in. The oldest game is, well, old, and they didn't have a whole lot of backstory about the Triforce at the time. Meaning basically that back then having the Triforce of Power meant he was more powerful, but it didn't mean anything about dying.

There are three games in which Ganondorf loses the Triforce and apparently dies. Those are

1: The original LoZ - As I had stated, there wasn't much backstory, so it wasn't like Ganon losing the Triforce was a huge deal. Shoot him with a magical silver arrow, and he's dead.

2: Twilight Princess - As Ganondorf (human), the Triforce symbol is shown losing its glow on his hand after being impaled by the Master Sword. We know the Master Sword is more than just a blade and that it has the power to repel evil. Thus, Ganondorf being evil, the Triforce of Power fueling that evil, means that if the Master Sword is jabbed through him and left there, it would slowly drain his power, life, and even the Triforce of Power from his body.

3: Wind Waker - As Ganondorf (human), he finally gets the three pieces together atop Hyrule Castle during the final battle. Therefore, all three pieces leave Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda, so neither has them anymore after this point and apparently don't have them again considering this is the last big game on that side of the storyline (so far). However, the King of Red Lions wished on the Triforce instead of Ganondorf, then the Triforce left. So Ganondorf, after being stabbed through the head by the Master Sword, would then die, or in this games case turn to stone, which is basically dying as well.

Some might also say Ganon has the complete Triforce in A Link to the Past, however we know he wished upon it, we do not know that he actually has it all in his possesion (as in using the full power at his will). Seemingly, Ganon merely has the relic held within the Pyramid which he has made his base. Whether or not he has control over its power at this point in time has never been confirmed, as no one really knows how Ganon managed to get access to the Triforce for a second time historically. But apparently, like in the original LoZ, the Silver Arrows carry a power similar to, if not greater than, the Master Sword itself. A power so great, that it can destroy Ganon and pull the Triforce of Power from him.

I agree with all of this. :P

Well I havent beaten TP yet, but so exluding that Ganon only dies In one game, the original LoZ. This is one of the reasons the 8 bit games are almost always placed at the end of the timelines.

As to him dieing in WW, I doubt it, People have wished upon the trifource before and they kept it. Also considering the way he died im sure someone could reserect him.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
To be honest I'm not sure that Ganon's death has ever been confirmed. We see him "appear" to die, but I'm unaware of anything saying he actually died.As far as how he would die, it would probably be through a combination of party drugs, tranquilizers, alcohol, and a little too much master sword. Not a good mix to have in your system.

Amelie

Air Dancer
I think TloZ is the only game where Ganon truly dies. Because I think Zelda II is the last game in the story but.. Im not sure. Like I said.. I dont really care much for time lines ><

WW: He didn't nescessarily die from being trapped in the stone, since he doesn't lose his Triforce, which is why I think he was just awakened at some point between after WW and PH, and PH he's resting, letting Bellum take care of Link.

Now he isn't shown croaking over and dying, or some scene like TP, but WW was more kidish, more cartoony, and basically I don't believe a real "death" scene would fit the game. Though the sword through the head was pretty violent.

But to answer your quote, Ganondorf did lose his piece of the Triforce. He takes his, Zelda's, and Link's pieces from them, they collect into the full Triforce, then just when he is about to put his hand on it, the King of Hyrule beats him to it. The Triforce then floats into the air. So during and after the final battle of WW, neither Zelda, Link, nor Ganondorf had their pieces. Therefore, being stabbed at the end would have obviously killed him, whether it show blood and gore and brains, or just have him sealed in stone. The Triforce, the power which keeps him alive when he has it, was no longer with him.

One more thing I would like to point out is timeline relation. From the games that we know their places in the timeline, we see that Ganondorf dies in Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. So far, not many people believe that any games come after Phantom Hourglass, on the Adult Timeline, besides me. However, every other Zelda title seems to come after Twilight Princess on the Child Timeline, as TP takes place generationally right after OoT. Since Ganondorf didn't have the Triforce of Power during his destruction in TP, I believe that he came back because he was reborn by some kind of magical spell or way of magic. When he is reborn, he takes the form of Ganon, or his pig/beast look, leaving the Ganondorf (human) body behind.

Think about it. Every other Zelda title after TP include a pig Ganon rather than Ganondorf. If you believe that the Four Swords Series takes place in the newly found Hyrule some generations after Wind Waker (like I have in my timeline), you would also see that Ganon eventually is reborn and is present in FSA, where Zelda clearly states "He used to be human... His name was Ganondorf."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom