• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Close to Majora's Mask Will It Be?

It has been said that skyloft will be alot like clock town was. Do you think the character development will be as deep as it was in MM. I loved watching all of the different characters evolve and react in their environment. I really hope skyward sword is very similar. But somehow i dont think it will be as good. What do you guys think the similarities and differences will be!? i think that there will be a couple of cool characters but not as many great ones like MM had.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I doubt the character development will be as good as MM's. Perhaps a lot of characters that are scrambled but not nearly as empty-minded as they were in OoT or TP.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
MM didn't have a "lot" of great characters, just a couple of memorable ones. I think SS will have just as much.

I just liked how much emotion and how much depth they all had. You could write a paper on the psychology of almost any one. I just loved how so many things could analyzed in that game and i hope i get to experience it again

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I wholly agree on that, the characters of MM were grand. Best of any Zelda game to date. They had human personality. Interacting with them made Link (in-game) more connected to you than ever before – to the point of where the line between fantasy and reality could almost be blurred. It was do in part because of the time limit, you could choose to let people die in anguish/lament, or you could aid them in whatever way possible to reap your rewards - and their trust/support.

I heavily doubt Skyward Sword will deliver an experience like that to us. Starters, the cutscenes are just what they are. Forced outcomes all of the time. Secondly, the game is more focused on condensced exploration than it is delving into relationships between characters. Majora's Mask was such a twisted Zelda game that it could pull off NPC interaction, heavily limited amount of dungeons, a load of emotion and such dark themes such as racism, insanity and more that nearly anything was possible yet it was fully capable of being a Zelda game at its core. Skyward Sword, unless Nintendo has a quick hand, I don't believe SS will be able to give us that.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I honestly think people overexaggerate the amount of character of MM's NPCs. I'm not seeing this depth or emotion, and the racism present is merely an in-game joke. I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing it.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Well, I have to be honest here. We haven't seen enough character interaction to say that Skyward Sword might be like MM (or not) in that sense. But from the looks of it, Skyward Sword seems to be based more on the traditional Zelda things (adventure, dungeons, swordfighting) instead of character development like in Majora's Mask. I can't say for certain that it can't match the level that was given to us from MM, though. After all, it's been about 10 years since it came out, so there's bound to be improvements in the system if they wanted to...

I honestly think people overexaggerate the amount of character of MM's NPCs. I'm not seeing this depth or emotion, and the racism present is merely an in-game joke. I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing it.

Well with the 3 day cycle you saw the characters evolve from day one then get closer and closer to their doom. whereas in every other game the characters were pretty much just empty shells there for game progression.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
Well with the 3 day cycle you saw the characters evolve from day one then get closer and closer to their doom. whereas in every other game the characters were pretty much just empty shells there for game progression.

All I see is a change in dialogue, which was necessary for the game itself otherwise it would appear awkward.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I strongly doubt that Skyward Sword will be that similar at all to Majora's Mask. Though Skyloft may be larger than the usual cities in Zelda games, perhaps larger than Twilight Princess Castle Town and more on the scale of Clock Town, I do not believe that it will be nearly as much of a hub for story and gameplay, namely geography, as Clock Town was.

Majora's Mask was probably the least exploration based Zelda game. This is because the overworld was relatively small and easy to navigate, basically as easy as seeing the familiar red balloon and having a few rupees. Skyword Sword, on the other hand, seems extremely exploration centric, probably the most since Legend of Zelda. Considering that we will have three different world, two full, one more like the Dark World (this is more than any Zelda game ever, several had two worlds with slight variations such as Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past, but Skyward Sword will have the Sky, Hyrule, and the Siren World, the Siren World being the partial one), exploration seems to be a key factor. Also, factor in the knowledge that many field areas will be dungeon-esque.

Though Skyloft will doubtlessly have many characters, I doubt that they will be as much of a central part of the gameplay as in Majora's Mask. It almost felt like, with Majora's Mask, you couldn't really get the full experience without doing all the sidequests and helping the characters. I'm almost certain that Skyword Sword will feel very full just from the exploration and dungeons.

Well with anju and Kafei that was not only a side quest but a side plot! it showed legitimate love and sorrow and that was not even in the main quest. The whole lot of characters reacted to what was going on in termina. whereas most characters in every other zelda game dont seem to care as much about what is goin on in their world You see no sorrow that hyrule castle was replaced with ganons tower in oot. or in any other game that i could think of. Most characters in most zelda games are just there to maintain a shop or give clues or just be filler. In MM they added a sense of realism.

AustinFox33

The Last Kilgannon
I don't think it will close to Majora's Mask at all. Majora's Mask was far too unique for them to be alike, unless Nintendo purposely tried to make a them alike, which I don't think they'd do. They'd get too much flak from fans and I would much rather have a completley unique game like Skyward Sword is looking to be.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Play through MM, and pay attention to detail. Read all snippets of text, and try to 'feel' them. Almost every single character in MM feels real to a degree.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
Play through MM, and pay attention to detail. Read all snippets of text, and try to 'feel' them. Almost every single character in MM feels real to a degree.

MM is my favorite game, I've talked to every NPC in Clock Town and most of the game and they still read to me as basic video game NPC's whose dialogue changes with the time period. Interesting, but not the epicness that people are making it out to be.

I believe that alot of epicness was up to the players imagination. If you just read the text you wouldnt get much out of it. but if you looked at the situations as a whole you would have a new perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom