• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler How Can TMC Be the Beginning of the Split Timeline?

W

Well Excuse Me

The Minish Cap is First Because...

Of a hat?

Doesn't that whole thing sound silly to anyone? I've seen so many people say this and I don't get it. Is there anything else to support this?

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
I don't pay attention to that hat business. When it comes to TMC, I pay more attention to the geography of Hyrule, the story of the game, the key weapon (Picori Blade), and the set allotment of other games in the timeline. I feel, personally, that TMC takes place either before or after SS, but before OOT.

It is sort of a silly argument.. It only show when THAT particular Link protected his scalp from sunburn.

Big Octo

=^)
I don't pay attention to that hat business. When it comes to TMC, I pay more attention to the geography of Hyrule, the story of the game, the key weapon (Picori Blade), and the set allotment of other games in the timeline. I feel, personally, that TMC takes place either before or after SS, but before OOT.

There's no way that MC can come before SS, as the Kingom of Hyrule nor the Royal Family have been established.

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
There's no way that MC can come before SS, as the Kingom of Hyrule nor the Royal Family have been established.
That is why I said "either". As I haven't played SS yet, I don't have the full backstory to the game. Yes we have the intro, but it is still not enough. For all we know, Hyrule was established before all the events in the intro to SS. But I'd have to play the game and read any textual sources first.

I always thought making the hat an issue was kind of silly because there is only one reason Link didn't have a hat in that game: they didn't want anyone to ask what the Minish Cap was! They used Ezlo as a red herring; everyone thought he was the Minish Cap and didn't ask any questions. Because Ezlo was going to be sitting on Link's head, it needed to be capless.

"Capless" isn't a word? What word could I have used!?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
In defense of the hat argument...
The whole basis of the game is about a magic cap and stopping it's user. My whole point is that many hate the hat argument but the whole game is centered around the concept and importance of hats so saying the hat means nothing is stupid.
Nintendo Power: Ezlo is one of the most original characters ever to emerge in the Zelda universe. How did you come up with the idea of fusing a hat with a bird?

Hidemaro Fujibayashi: I wanted to have a speaking hat, not a hat with a bird. Based upon my request, the character designer needed a very difficult long time to achieve the final form. The design of Ezlo fulfilled my needs - it has a good sense of existence on the GBA screen and is flexible to dynamic action and moves.
There are many other arguments about various things that I'd call silly before this one.

(The hat has nothing to do with it. And the Minish brought the Picori blade with them, not the Triforce. > .> When they said Courage and Wisdom, they ment the characteristics, not the actualy sacred triangles.) Well, where TMC is depends on a few other games. First of all, ignoreing MC and ZSS, OoT is first on the timeline. After MM on the child timeline, is TP. It is a highly beleived fact that because of were the Temple of Time is, that ALttP is after TP and OoT. In the GBA version of ALttP, there is the palace of the Four Sword gaurded by four Dark Links. In the end of FSA, Ganon was scealed in the Four Sword, which means that he could have escaped the Palace of the Four Sword and took the trifoce where he was in the same form as before because he still had the Trident. So it is established that MM, TP, FSA, and ALttP are all after OoT. Now, in ZSS, the Master Sword is barely being created, which imediatly puts it before everything prevously mentioned except MC which we are ignoreing for a moment. MC can be anywere except before ZSS and after FSA. In the beggining of MC, it speaks of the Hero of Men who scealed all the evil in a chest using a blade brought from the sky. In ZSS what we know is that Link gets the Skyward sword in Skyloft, then goes down to banish the evil. So people think Link from ZSS is the Hero of Men from MC's prolouge. Which means that MC has to go right after ZSS. The only thing that can go between them is if there is a direct sequal of ZSS, or a direct prequal to MC.

So what we established.
ZSS -> MC -> OoT (Split Child) -> MM -> TP -> FSA -> ALttP

uhhh.... I may not of read all the posts, but one thing I know for SURE is that the Skyward Sword isn't obtained in Skyloft, though I may be mistaken if its not the Goddess Sword you get before the MS.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Having avoided spoilers for Skyward Sword for a long time, I won't get too much into its relation to The Minish Cap, but from what I know, my guess is that it rather certainly takes place before The Minish Cap considering how established Hyrule is in each game.

On that note, if you consider how established Hyrule is from game to game, there's little leeway for The Minish Cap to take place before Ocarina of Time. In The Minish Cap, we have a Hyrule that is well-established and has certainly been standing for a long time. At one point the game we enter the Royal Crypt where we meet the ghost of the deceased King Gustaf, a previous King of Hyrule who passed away ages ago. Obviously, the kingdom of Hyrule is at least as old as Gustaf's grave.

By contrast, however, the Hyrule of Ocarina of Time is still a new kingdom. The birth of that game's Link takes place during the Hyrulean Civil War (not the official name, but you can find it under that name on Zelda Wiki). This war results in the unification of the kingdom of Hyrule, making it a relatively new kingdom. We can still see the remains of the separate kingdoms of the different races during the child portion of the game where, although they are all unified through the royal family, the Gorons, Zoras, and especially Gerudos still keep up their borders rather effectively (which, for the Gerudos, persists through the adult portion of the game).

Saying the story that takes place in an age-old kingdom takes place before a story where that kingdom is new simply doesn't flow. The Minish Cap cannot take place before Ocarina of Time.

We can, perhaps, still find some plot/timeline significance with the hat. In Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess, we're provided an explanation as to why Link wears his tunic (which also applies to The Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks on the other side of the timeline). In my own timeline theory, The Minish Cap takes place on the Child Timeline and precedes all the other 2D Zelda titles (going by graphics), all of which don't explain the fact that Link wears a tunic far beyond the suggestion that it becomes sort of standard among a certain persuasion of Hylian boys. I'm inclined to think it's supposed to be a uniform for the Knights of Hyrule, of which A Link to the Past's Link is the last at the time. We can't say for certain whether the uniform is derived from the previous heroes of Hyrule (in particular Twilight Princess's hero), but its logical that at this point, where the whole outfit begins to become standard, the touching little story of Link obtaining his hat begins the tradition of incorporating the hat to the uniform of the Knights of Hyrule, particularly among Link's line. Now, we could probably debate whether these Links in particular are actually blood-related, and otherwise we could speculate as to how the tradition of incorporating the hat is passed down, but Link obtaining the hat does work as an indication that The Minish Cap takes place first out of the 2D titles.

As for the Light Force, I'm not sure we can say it affects the timeline much. It's highly doubtful that it's the Triforce or any piece of it considering the nature of the Light Force, where Vaati drains a significant portion out of Zelda who later pours her remaining portion out upon Hyrule. We know that the Triforce or any piece of it functions as a solid object, making the draining and pouring questionable. We never see the physical form of the Light Force where any other game would show the physical form of the Triforce. Our only indication of it having a shape at all is the drawing of it in the room behind the Elemental Sanctuary. The most likely reason it there bears any resemblance to the Triforce is because the developers wanted to reflect that motif, though in terms of plot I can't see the Light Force being logically considered any portion of the Triforce.

geek4887

The Unknown
It might be possible for it to be the Triforce, only it could be the full version of the Triforce, before Ganondorf ever took possession, or after it has been re-united by someone who has a balance of all equal traits of the Triforce. Someone who has a balance of Power, Wisdom, and Courage. There could be a possibility of TMC to take place in New Hyrule, the place without a Ganondorf or a Master Sword, anymore, I think it makes some sense. But considering that the Minish came from the skies and gave the Light Force to the Hylians, almost contradicts my theory, unless there's some huge event that happens in the sky (but this game's not even here yet. perhaps, it's not even true which unites the pieces of the Triforces. If you go to Castle Town in TMC, you can see there's a symbol of the Triforce above the arch. It could be that the Triforce legend was somehow been able to be tracked down despite it being lost in Spirit Tracks. Considering the geography of the game, they changed the mountain to Mt. Crenel. That's also another evidence that this place is New Hyrule.

But, none of this could be truly legit. I'm still new to theorizing so, please bear with me. Thanks for reading this post! :sweat:

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Guess, what..... No really guess...... SERIOUSLY GUESS! Skyward Sword is now at the beginning, maybe that will clear some things up. There are connections with the two games though, like with items. Gust bellow=Gust Jar, Mogma/digging Mitts= Mole Mitts......

Yah, but their Nintendo, they just want you to foolishly think it has to do with MC, I agree at the first post about the hat thing, its a million LOLS to think MC would go at the near beginning just for that, oh and the Hero of Men was said to beat the evil with wisdom and courage, NO POWER AT ALL! (sarcastic) He probably got that from something, maybe a game in where a different Link and Zelda mate. o_O

C

Caleb, Of Asui

IThere could be a possibility of TMC to take place in New Hyrule, the place without a Ganondorf or a Master Sword, anymore, I think it makes some sense. But considering that the Minish came from the skies and gave the Light Force to the Hylians, almost contradicts my theory, unless there's some huge event that happens in the sky (but this game's not even here yet. perhaps, it's not even true which unites the pieces of the Triforces. If you go to Castle Town in TMC, you can see there's a symbol of the Triforce above the arch. It could be that the Triforce legend was somehow been able to be tracked down despite it being lost in Spirit Tracks. Considering the geography of the game, they changed the mountain to Mt. Crenel. That's also another evidence that this place is New Hyrule.

I don't think you could say any of the existing Zelda games go after Spirit Tracks, really. The New Hyrule in that game has an infrastructure based largely on the railway system, and I don't see it just vanishing without any mention just to make way for The Minish Cap. Plus, there's no debating that The Minish Cap takes place on the same timeline as Four Swords Adventures, which itself involves Ganon.

Yah, but their Nintendo, they just want you to foolishly think it has to do with MC, I agree at the first post about the hat thing, its a million LOLS to think MC would go at the near beginning just for that, oh and the Hero of Men was said to beat the evil with wisdom and courage, NO POWER AT ALL! (sarcastic) He probably got that from something, maybe a game in where a different Link and Zelda mate. o_O

Whose Nintendo? Haha, sorry, just making fun of your grammar. ^^' I wouldn't place too much weight on him having wisdom and courage. Those traits are common motifs in Zelda, but do not necessarily refer to their respective Triforce pieces 100% percent of the time--especially when they don't say anything about the Triforce. >_>

It's not foolish to think that the hat has something to do with The Minish Cap's placement on the timeline. It was obviously put in there as something for the timeline. People put way too much weight on it, however, when they say it makes The Minish Cap the first on the timeline, as there's more evidence against that. Like I said earlier, I think its an indication for the beginning of a certain line of hat-wearing heroes whereas before that the tunic always came from something else. There's definitely an element of the hat being a tradition that the developers were conscious of, as they show the previous hero wearing the tunic but no hat. We can likely assume that that hero receives the tunic as a sign of the hero in much the way Twilight Princess's Link does, though perhaps more through mortal remembrance than through the light spirits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom