• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Horror Games

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I've noticed the recent rise of horror games to the video game market has increased. I know that horror games have been out for years but recently they've come into play a lot more. Rising phenomena like Amnesia and Slender have become large topics of discussion (see the thread on Slender). As such I wanted to create this thread to ask a few questions.

1) Do you enjoy horror games? Why or why not?
2) What are your favorite horror games? Why?
3) What are your least favorite horror games? Why?
4) What horror games are you interested in playing that you haven't played yet?

Personally I enjoy horror games. I like the ability to interact with a fear rather than just watch it. Horror movies, I don't mind, but they don't have the same impact as the games in my opinion.

Obviously, as you'll probably see from a multitude of other people, I enjoy the Resident Evil series. It's a twist on the traditional zombie idea and it's sparked the interest in horror in general in many people. Another series that I enjoy is Silent Hill. The suspense and the general atmosphere make it a very good series, despite some below par games in the series.

Really, I don't have a least favorite.

Currently I'm in the process of downloading Cry of Fear and Afraid of Monsters, both Half Life mods created by Team Psyskallars. I've also been looking into getting Amnesia: Dark Descent.

Anyway, that's all. Feel free to post your thoughts.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes, because it makes me not a kiddiekiddie. loljk. I enjoy Horror games because horror is a facet I don't get out of Nintendo. They're fun, they're exhilarating, they're breathtaking, they're awesome. What's NOT to love about being scared to living death (wat) by Resident Evil and Dead Space, to name a few?

Resident Evil 5. :right:

Games? Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil 4, Dead Space 2. Why? Because the scare is awesome.

No tengo a least.

Resident Evil 6, Dead Space 3.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
1) Yes, I do enjoy horror games. They keep you on your toes! At times they are truly frightening, great to play at night with your friends. ;)

2) Bioshock (yes, I consider it horror, it's scary!), Left 4 Dead 2, and Dead Space 2

3) None. Well, I actually didn't like those House of the Dead games, lol.

4) ZOMBIU! Nomnomnom. British zombies are the scariest type of zombies, would you agree? :right:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
No. I don't enjoy an atmosphere where turning around a corner could be met with a terrible fate. I'm not amused by anything horror related to be honest. It scares me to no end, and It's something I can't handle.

No. I don't play horror games.

All of them. I don't like horror games.

Although I seriously hate horror games, Slender sort of interests me. Although I really don't think I could stand the tense atmosphere and gameplay it has to offer. The thought of being pursued has always bothered me, and a game solely surrounding itself on that basis; I'd never be able to play it.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
1.) Yes, I like horror games. What horror games can do that movies cannot is actually scare you. With a movie you are just watching a cliche film that you can pretty much guess everything that's going to happen. With a game, you are actually living it. You experience all the horrors first hand. I love the feeling you get when you hear the click of your pistol and realize that you've just fired your last bullet and are surrounded by hoards of Zombies or some other terrifying creature. Horror games are one of the few genres that can actually make me feel something. Horror games are awesome...horror films not so much.

2.) My personal favorites would be Resident Evil (Gamecube) and Resident Evil 4 (Wii.) These are really the only two that I have played so far and I love them both. I plan on buying RE2, RE3, RE - Code Veronica, and RE0 for the Gamecube so I can play more of the series. I probably like Resident Evil 4 a little bit more just because the aiming and controls are much better than of Resident Evil which kept the clunky controls of the PS version which I love. Resident Evil however is a much scarier game. The first time I played this game, I had just bought it from Half Price Books and was anticipating playing it all day. I think I scared myself just thinking about the game. I then preceded to play the game....when no one was home...it was 1 in the morning...and the lights were off. The first Zombie I came across nearly made me **** myself. My heart was pounding as I tried to run away...and failed...and was eaten. I love that these games don't try to baby you by making things easy. There's hard puzzles, hard enemies, limited supplies, and scary as hell monsters that are trying to eat you.

Also I love CoD Nazi Zombies if that counts. By far the best part of any CoD game. You and up to three other people have to survive endless waves of Nazi Zombies. It's just so much fun.

3.) As stated above, I haven't played too many so at the moment I don't have any that I dislike.

4.) I want to play the Silent Hill series to see if it's as good as everyone says. Also Bioshock, FEAR, ZombieU, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, Resident Evil - Code Veronica, Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil Revelations, Dead Space, others that I can't think of.

I love Resident Evil and if the rest of the genre is as good as the two games I've played then I'm going to be very happy.

1. You bet I do! they're my second favorite style of video game! (Other than Nintendo/Capcom/Sega old school gaming)
2. Slender, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Afraid of Monsters, Goul's Forest 3(D)
3. Eh, to be honest I don't like Resident Evil. Yeah, sue me.
4. Cry of Fear, maybe.

I enjoy them, horror games usually have interesting and intriguing ideas behind them both in concept and gameplay and that added flare is what attracts me to them.

My favourite horror games/franchises are; Eternal Darkness, Silent Hill, Project Zero/Fatal Frame - Why: because they have ideas, they're more than run and shoot, they have unique puzzles and unique ways of interacting with the world and enemies. For example; i find the Project Zero games to be very clever, they're horror games that force you in to first person, force you to wait and watch as the danger draws nearer and force you to attack when the fear and danger is at its highest point. Unlike other games for example, the recent Resident Evil titles, where you can blow away any enemy however and whenever you want from any distance, the Project Zero games lock you in a pace and make you as helpless as the characters that you are playing as and i love that.

Eternal Darkness deserves a special mention too because of its genius use of the insanity meter, while i dont find the game scary to play, its way of breaking the fourth wall is really unique and fresh, the characters were also very believable and the tone was a wonderful constant. It was also very quotable and memorable, the way a horror game should be.

My least favourite horror games (will sound like a hipster now) are the Resident Evil games from 4 onwards, the original Resident Evil games were wonderful, the control system, while unique probably to the point of flawed, ensured that the slow shuffling zombies were still dangerous enough to kill you, the pivot-walk function of the controls really gave the game a slow sense of urgency, but in recent games the charcters are far too powerful verging on superhuman and have enough weapons and firepower to blow a hole in the earth's crust, and so i really don't feel threatened in newer installments, but worse, i no longer feel scared, Resident Evil is an action game now, it doesn't let up and give you a chance to be scared, even if the pace was slower your characters are still musclebound killing machines that you really don't have any fear walking into a fight.

there aren't really any games out there that i want to play, I've played Left4Dead and so any other 1st person zombie game just looks like a clone to me, putting it in england or on an island resort doesn't change anything. I'm not interested in the Dead Rising series after playing the first one either, I've played Dead Space and didn't really enjoy it. the FEAR games were awful and didn't feel right, they felt out of balance and clunky with the integration of horror, Silent Hill has gone so far downhill after The Room (4) that i can barely call myself a fan anymore, and Project Zero now, isn't released outside of Japan which is quite depressing.. I'd rather wait for a horror game with a new and interesting idea and play that instead of chewing on clones and sequels.

Last edited:

Dan

Q1) Do you enjoy horror games? Why or why not?
A1) No I do not, I used to until I played that game... that one game just took the horror too far, it messes with your senses, makes you question who you are. Makes you even question life as a whole. It changes you so you never feel comfortable again.

Q2) What are your favorite horror games? Why?
A2) Before the the horrible accident that made me hate horror games it was amnesia, it was a pretty neat figuring out puzzles and shiz, plus the protagonist had the same name as me, so it really did feel rather emerging to play.

Q3) What are your least favorite horror games? Why?
A3) My least favorite is the one I was referring to in question 1, the mods should ban me for posting this. On the other hand they won't.... they won't see the evils this game possess, until they play it for them-self and it's too late !
[video=youtube;NHKMvueSl_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHKMvueSl_I[/video]

I CAN'T LOOK !
Q4) What horror games are you interested in playing that you haven't played yet?
A4) I think DayZ looks pretty neat, although I think that's more of a survival than a horror, I'm looking forward to the next amnesia game on the other hand.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
I do not enjoy horror games, nor have I ever, I have not played any horror games therefore I cannot have a favorite or least favorite, and there are no horror games that I look to playing in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom