• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hollow knight: thoughts and opinions

Dapperchihiro123

I got a key! Let me find a door!
Hello! This is the hollow knight discussion thread. Feel free do talk about bosses DLC, difficulty or anything else hollow knight. Have fun!

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Here, have a reply.
I'm really enjoying Hollow Knight so far. I explored pretty much all of the main area the other day, managed to get False Knight on my third try. He's really simple once you memorize the tells for his various attacks.
Today I went to greenpath which, I must say, is absolutely gorgeous. I think this is the nicest landscape I've ever seen graphically. I've also died about 15 times to Hornet, but I'm too stubborn to go and do something else. Despite this I don't think it's too hard, it feels extraordinarily fair. I get the feeling it won't be so difficult once I get a rhythm in it.

I've written probably more than enough about this game elsewhere, so I'm not sure if there's much I can say here that would be new, but Hollow Knight is a pretty special game. It does get punishing in its combat and platforming but it's an incredibly rewarding game that, no matter your skill level, you feel GOOD about your accomplishments. I always use the general estimate that I died at least 400 times during the main game content in my first playthrough, but it's still one of my favorite games because it's such a treasure in its overall composition that my desire to unravel mysteries and conquer the bosses overtook any discouragement I may have felt for getting stuck. There's always something to do, and the more you do, the more motivated you are, seeing yourself improve.

This post is sponsored by

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I've written probably more than enough about this game elsewhere, so I'm not sure if there's much I can say here that would be new, but Hollow Knight is a pretty special game. It does get punishing in its combat and platforming but it's an incredibly rewarding game that, no matter your skill level, you feel GOOD about your accomplishments. I always use the general estimate that I died at least 400 times during the main game content in my first playthrough, but it's still one of my favorite games because it's such a treasure in its overall composition that my desire to unravel mysteries and conquer the bosses overtook any discouragement I may have felt for getting stuck. There's always something to do, and the more you do, the more motivated you are, seeing yourself improve.
This is so, so true for this game. In other games, if I get die to a boss a few times I get frustrated and complain that it's too hard. Since I got home from school today I probably fought Hornet about 40 times, but it was still really fun. Yes it's difficult, but it doesn't feel unfair. Now I'm just excited to go and find new areas to explore.

I had about 10 hours on my save before I beat Hornet. It wasn't 10 hours of attempts, mind you, but there was still other stuff I found to do while recharging myself to go back and rematch her. The further you are in the game with more abilities, the truer this becomes, for the amount of things you can do instead. Always more than one objective.

Dapperchihiro123

I got a key! Let me find a door!
Youtube: "You should beat hollow knight in about 20-30 hours"

Me, with 45 hours and only one dreamer: really?

I did the Watcher fairly early in my first playthrough, but I didn't do the other two for a very long time until right before I went to do the final boss. I was at about 60 hours before I went for the Beast and the Teacher. There's a lot of stuff to do in the meantime. Being off-task isn't necessarily being off-task in Hollow Knight. :goron:

Of course my additional playthroughs are shorter, but I still usually wait quite some time before pursuing any Dreamers or Broken Vessel because I like putting off triggering the (midgame spoiler) Infected Crossroads for as long as I can.

EDIT:
For the sake of memes and testimony, here are my game clear screenshots for the first time I got each ending (plus milestone completion percentages) in my first playthrough/main file. Notice the playtimes.

First Ending
2018090800515200-22A4BDEA5363AAA24F931D5AF2926082.jpg

Second Ending
2018091004343600-22A4BDEA5363AAA24F931D5AF2926082.jpg

Third Ending
2018091306270400-22A4BDEA5363AAA24F931D5AF2926082.jpg

Completion
2018091504064200-22A4BDEA5363AAA24F931D5AF2926082.jpg

Pure Completion
2018110104305000-22A4BDEA5363AAA24F931D5AF2926082.jpg

Fourth Ending
2020012800264400-22A4BDEA5363AAA24F931D5AF2926082.jpg