• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Holes and Discontinuities in the Zeldaverse

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
(In all fairness I realize the Zelda Universe has fantasy elements and isn't exactly the most realistic representation of real life)

That being said, have you ever stumbled upon elements in Zelda games that were blatantly holes or discontinuities in physical logic? (Not just elements that confused you, elements that you recognized as impossible)

For example: In Twilight Princess Castle Town, there is a massive abundance of people, and a constant stream of pedestrians adding up to hundreds maybe even thousands of people walking through Castle Town in just one day- where do they all live? There are two inhabited villages in all of Hyrule so where the Hell are these people coming from? After all they definitely didn't cross deserts and snowy peaks and cliffs just to get some fruit from the market.

Basicly a hole in the logic or plot of a Zelda game. Found any?

Salem

SICK
The downfall timeline, no not that it exists at all, but the sequence of events that lead up to it aren't that different than the ones that lead to adult timeline and yet, it's too different, I have a theory that one of classic Zelda games have an alternate ending that leads to the flood and WW and it's sequels but who know....

Last edited:
For example: In Twilight Princess Castle Town, there is a massive abundance of people, and a constant stream of pedestrians adding up to hundreds maybe even thousands of people walking through Castle Town in just one day- where do they all live? There are two inhabited villages in all of Hyrule so where the Hell are these people coming from? After all they definitely didn't cross deserts and snowy peaks and cliffs just to get some fruit from the market.

This one's too simple. You see, all of the houses and villages simply are not shown. This could be attributed to graphical constraints, among other things. The whole idea is for the player to assume that there are enough homes and other towns/villages in Hyrule to accomodate all of those people. That sheer amount of people was there to sort of give the player a hint as to the scope of Hyrule Castle Town and/or convey the concept that there are/may be more villages out there in Hyrule. There's no need for Nintendo to add a whole bunch of extra places and crap that we'd have probably never gotten to visit anyway, as their inclusion might have detracted from other crucial elements of the game such as the vast amount of dungeons/locales it contained. (Would have nice if Hyrule Field weren't so empty, though.)

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
@WolfSage that may be so but the fact that Nintendo excluded where they live makes it an anomaly. Even if we didn't actually explore all of Hyrule, the area we explored is surrounded by massive gorges, cliffs, mountains, etc. making it highly unrealistic that that many people traveled that harsh of conditions just to be there.

Had Nintendo included on the TP map bordering provinces that we for some reason can't reach that is realistic to the situation (maybe it's protected by a guard or gate or even just an invisible wall) that would easily explain where the people came from. But instead they border all of the provinces with sketches of mountains indicating that's all there is to Hyrule

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud

I always assumed the people lived in Castle Town. I know you can't really enter the homes, but that doesn't mean they aren't there, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've always wondered why the iron boots are only heavy when you wear them and not when they're in your inventory. I guess you could just say that it was magic, but where does the magic come from? In Twilight Princess, Link doesn't really have any magical abilities, and yet as soon as you aren't wearing the boots: BAM! weightless.
Also, the spin attack. I'm fairly certain that no human being can actually do one of Link's famous spin attacks. I mean, what does he do? Spin his entire torso at blinding speed? I don't know about you guys, but I can't do that.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion

you think that's a hole?what about windfall island
every building in that game is enter-able and not one of them is anyone's house,so where in gods name do they all go at night?

I always assumed the people lived in Castle Town. I know you can't really enter the homes, but that doesn't mean they aren't there, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've always wondered why the iron boots are only heavy when you wear them and not when they're in your inventory. I guess you could just say that it was magic, but where does the magic come from? In Twilight Princess, Link doesn't really have any magical abilities, and yet as soon as you aren't wearing the boots: BAM! weightless.
Also, the spin attack. I'm fairly certain that no human being can actually do one of Link's famous spin attacks. I mean, what does he do? Spin his entire torso at blinding speed? I don't know about you guys, but I can't do that.

What do you mean you cannot do a spin attack.... I mean come on! LOL (that was just a joke haha)

As for the weightlessness, I think it has to do with the fact that it IS a videogame. They have to make sure that the player is not at a huge disadvantage. A LOT of other games do this too, The Last of Us does. I mean a person cannot physically have 7+ weapons on them and switch to each one in a one sec span.

As for Holes and Discontinuities, I would have to say falling from a very high place and then BAM you can forward roll for no damage and/or do a sword/jump attack mid air for no damage.... o_O like WTF.....

Also a piece of cloth made by fish people can make you breathe underwater.... hahahaha

Last edited:

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Koholint Island. Just under the entrance to the Mysterious Woods (which are only a little bit mysterious) you can jump from the ledge and fall down the hole to get a piece of heart. When you go to the stairs you reappear below the bush...which is just dirt. That's weird. Also, the warp holes in the same game are pretty weird - there's no real explanation for them that I know of!

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
How about in WW? The Sea is said to yield no fish, and yet you live in a fishing village and talk to fish throughout the game.

Or how does Link bring certain items with him in MM when time traveling, but not others?

Do the Oracle games happen in parallel dimensions or what?

Why does the Triforce talk in Alttp? Is it a conscience entity? Why doesn't it do this on other occasions?

Why is the Triforce able to grant all your wishes in Alttp, but only one in all subsequent iterations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom