• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hole in the Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently played through Ocarina of Time and noticed something very odd. Throughout the game they mention the creation of Hyrule and the lore of the Trifore and the goddesses and talk about how ancient Hyrule is. But after you beat the Forest Temple and the Deku Tree Sprout explains Link's origins he mentions that Link was brought to the forest from a Hylian woman a few years ago after the kingdom was established after the war. Link is only 11 or 12 as a child. That would mean that Hyrule is also only 11 or 12 years old as well. How could the goddesses have created Hyrule years and years ago if the war was only a few years ago? What are your thoughts on this?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The goddesses created the land of Hyrule. The Kingdom of Hyrule was established sometime later (or it might have been at the same time). Iirc, the fierce wars resulted in the alliance between Hyrule and most of the surrounding cultures. I'll brb after looking up some quotes to clarify.

GDT said:
Three great golden goddesses descended to the land of chaos that was Hyrule.
The Hyrule referred to in the creation story is the land itself (the ground, resources, nature, etc).

GDT Sprout said:
Before the King of Hyrule had unified this country... there was a violent war.
One day, a Hylian mother and baby fled to the forbidden forest in order to escape that war.
The King of Hyrule united the country into the Kingdom of Hyrule (all the people in the land of Hyrule under the rule of the King).
Incidentally, we don't know if the Kingdom was created at this time. It may have existed for a long time, and the fierce war could have been a civil war, or the Kingdom was smaller and after the war the King extended his alliance and rule to the neighboring cultures. We will hopefully learn more about the earlier days of the Kingdom in SS.

Last edited:
that makes a lot of sense. but when you listen to Impa and others about the Skeikah she states how the the Sheikah have guarded the Royal Family for generations. I probably should have mentioned that in the first post

O

Ogami Itto

The world is called Hyrule.

The kingdom is called Hyrule.

The kingdom was around for several ''generations'' and increased in size after the war.

There.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yeah, you misunderstand what they are trying to say.
The goddesses created a country called Hyrule several centuries ago.
Hyrule Castle and city was established after the war, and it was by the people, not the goddesses.

but the Deku Tree Sprout said the kingdom was established after the war. how can the Skeikah guard the Royal Family for generations if there's only been a kingdom for 11 or 12 years?

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
The goddesses created the land of Hyrule. The Kingdom of Hyrule was established sometime later (or it might have been at the same time). Iirc, the fierce wars resulted in the alliance between Hyrule and most of the surrounding cultures. I'll brb after looking up some quotes to clarify.

The Hyrule referred to in the creation story is the land itself (the ground, resources, nature, etc).

The King of Hyrule united the country into the Kingdom of Hyrule (all the people in the land of Hyrule under the rule of the King).
Incidentally, we don't know if the Kingdom was created at this time. It may have existed for a long time, and the fierce war could have been a civil war, or the Kingdom was smaller and after the war the King extended his alliance and rule to the neighboring cultures. We will hopefully learn more about the earlier days of the Kingdom in SS.

This is a perfect explanation of it. Pretty much exactly what I was going to post.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
These are rather different things. The references to creation and the literal formation of Hyrule is referred to in ancient times; the land, creatures etc. had been formed by the Goddesses at creation, which is currently an undetermined amount of time before OoT, likely at least a thousand years.
What the Deku Sprout is referring to is political unification; before Link's birth, there had been a civil war in Hyrule because of conflict between the various groups and territories that form Hyrule, including the monarchy. This was happening around the time of Link's birth, and ended shortly after. From what we gather, by the beginning of OoT, all the states had unified under the monarchy with the exception of the Gerudo. Even though each society has their own respective leaders (and occasionally their own monarchies), they still have an allegiance to the Hylian Monarchy, likely as terms of agreement for ending the war; this is demonstrated by why so much of the game is influenced by Zelda's Lullaby, the melody of the Royal Family, because all the groups of Hyrule swore allegiance to the monarchy under unification, with the exception of the Gerudo. A neat little supplemental bit of evidence to this is the fact that you don't play Zelda's Lullaby at all (as far as I can recall) in the entire Gerudo Valley or Spirit Temple Segments in the game. This means that the Gerudo had not sworn allegiance to the royal family. At the beginning of OoT, Ganondorf is seen coming to Hyrule Castle to meet with the King to discuss a treaty of some kind; Ganondorf is proposing a peace treaty and/or offering to join the united Hyrule, which is a ploy to lull Hyrule into a sense of complacency so that they will not suspect attack from Ganondorf. This allows Ganondorf to carry through his plan and attack without suspicion.

P

pokemainiac

The gods created the land millennia ago. The country of Hyrule was united a decade ago. It's like real world countries, they haven't existed as long as the Earth.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Everyone before me has said it a dozen different ways. The Kingdom was unified before the game, but the world was created millenia prior to OoT.

As for the whole Sheikah guarding the Royal Family for generations" thing, I think that Hyrule Kingdom may have been around for a while before OoT, just not as big, and maybe at war within itself. Take Minish Cap for example. The kingdom exists, with a huge invasion of the monsters about to happen at the end. Although the monsters likely vanish at the end of the game (even though we only see tektites and octorocks vanish), the people will have been searching for a way to stop them. This leads to the finding of the passage in Death Mountain that evil flows from (ALTTP Intro). This of course, leads to the whole of the events of Ocarina of Time. It says that the war that ravaged Hyrule ended about 10-12 years prior. Maybe they got tired of searching for the Triforce or something. My point here is that the war is left ambiguous, possibly for development in Skyward Sword.

Alar

Clothed in Green
the Deku Tree Sprout explains Link's origins he mentions that Link was brought to the forest from a Hylian woman a few years ago after the kingdom was established after the war. Link is only 11 or 12 as a child. That would mean that Hyrule is also only 11 or 12 years old as well.
Well personally i don't think Hyrule was founded 11/12 years ago i believe that they merely had some sort of civil war, like some country's nowadays.But, if your theory was correct , that Hyrule was founded as link was born, then perhaps it did. But wasn't link raised as a Kokiri , and as long as he stays inside the forest he wont age, i think, so it could have been how ever long you wanted decades, centuries, etc..

Anyway the way to find out the age of the civilised Hyrule, With a Monarchy and such, is to find out how long a Zora King Lives for then times that by the Number of Kings there has been i believe it was like King Zora XVI was in Ocarina of time. Because the Zora's protect the water ways and with out water there can be no life or at least Civilised life up in some where like Hyrule Castle.
So that is what a Think =)

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I believe that Locke has hit the nail on the head with this one. The BS is referring to the LAND that Hyrule lays on while Hyrule itself was not founded til years later. I believe the solution to this problem has been solved.

Thread Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom