• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hiding disabilities

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
If you have a hidden disability, are you like me totally upfront about it like 'hi im deaf!' Or do you hide it unless absolutely necessary, whichever way you are what do you think about people who do the other way? Like they should accept it and make it part of them and use the tools that help to ease it or do you think they should shut up about it and get on with it??

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I bring up that I have Miotonic Muscular Distrophy Mod-Sev whenever physical labor is involved. I don't want to be treated differently for it, nut you need to know if I can't do something because of my disability, I can't do it.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
This isn’t really on the same level, but I always try to let people in a professional setting know about my chronic tic disorder. Especially in my placements as a student teacher in schools, because I don’t want the instructor to think I’m causing a distraction on purpose. I got into the habit of doing that back when my tic was a dab, and while I think it’s less noticeable now and rarely happens, I still think it’s important for me to let it be known.

As for hidden disabilities in general, I don’t think people should have any requirement to go around telling people about their disability if they aren’t comfortable. Part of me thinks people should in a situation where it may be relevant, like NintendoCN described, but even then, I think that’s up to the person to decide if they want to share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom