• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hideki Kamiya Would "Love" for Platinum to Be 2nd Party for Nintendo

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
In an interview with IGN, legendary game developer Hideki Kamiya expressed his desires for the future of the company. He said, if given the chance, he would like to make a sequel to his latest upcoming game, The Wonderful 101, and was open to the possibility of porting the original Bayonetta to the Wii U, since Bayonetta 2 will be a Wii U exclusive.

However, the biggest thing he said was his response to being asked what he thought about the idea of Platinum Games & Nintendo joining forces: "I would love that. It would be great to work more closely with Nintendo."

Platinum has been a pretty active supporter of Nintendo, especially as of late, so it would certainly make sense for the Big N to purchase the company.

What are your thoughts on all this?

Nintendo could probably use the help. xP

I still like where the Wii U is going and I think it has the potential to be the GameCube that never was in a lot of ways (in terms of how it's marketed and what its audience is), but it's going to need some more support to do that. Nintendo should absolutely continue to market to its fans the same way it usually has, but it can increase console sales if it gets the interest of other consumers through 3rd party support. Platinum makes some awesome games that differ from what Nintendo does, and getting them on-board -- hell, getting them exclusive if that's possible -- would be an amazing step in that direction.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Anything that will get more games on Wii U is good news, but, this won't really 'help' Nintendo as some people have been glorifying this as on other websites. It's awesome for Nintendo but Platinum's quite niche, it'll add to the library of games and add some real innovation, but, it won't add sales really, which is really what Ninty needs. But it's nice to have a strong developer behind you! Especially considering Platinum's quite strong out-put of titles which is impressive. But, they're not Nintendo's Naughty Dog, which was a comparison someone made.

I'm interested to see what Platinum will do next. Wonderful 101 is great! And Bayonetta 2 is, well, Bayonetta 2. :P

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Anything that will get more games on Wii U is good news, but, this won't really 'help' Nintendo as some people have been glorifying this as on other websites. It's awesome for Nintendo but Platinum's quite niche, it'll add to the library of games and add some real innovation, but, it won't add sales really, which is really what Ninty needs. But it's nice to have a strong developer behind you! Especially considering Platinum's quite strong out-put of titles which is impressive. But, they're not Nintendo's Naughty Dog, which was a comparison someone made.

It would help by sending a message. Platinum's known for their over-the-top, balls-to-the-wall, gorefests of games -- a pretty significant opposite of the family-friendly titles Nintendo is known for. If they were to be purchased by Nintendo, the gaming industry would take notice, and many would acknowledge that Ninty is, indeed, trying to appeal to all audiences with the Wii U.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Nintendo has no hope with 3rd parties, but securing some 2nd parties is a good idea.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I dunno, i mean Kamiya Hideki does have a big reputation among gamers dispite that Capcom shut down Clover Studios and eventually made their own development company with many of the ex-Capcom employees, which is now known as Platinum games. Their only issue is getting good publishers. So i am not suprised why Kamiya Hideki would want to be a second-party developer.

Sales wise, yes Wonderfull 101 sales are low at the moment. That said, you can't deny that Kamiya Hideki directed games that were huge hits.
Like Devil May Cry 1,3,4 ( 2 was fail because it wasn't directed by him ). Then we got Resident Evil 1,2 and Zero. Okami was also a huge hit. Dunno for sure about Viewtifull Joe. Later with Platinum Games we Got Madworld, Anarchy Rains, Vanquish, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising Revengance.

IMO it could be a good investment for both Nintendo and Platinum Games

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
All I can think of is the next Metal Gear Rising using the GamePad Touch Screen for Blade Mode.:cool:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
If they were to be purchased by Nintendo, the gaming industry would take notice, and many would acknowledge that Ninty is, indeed, trying to appeal to all audiences with the Wii U.

We already know they're trying to appeal to all audiences with the Wii U, Iwata said so in 2011 so they don't need to re-send any 'message', but 'sending a message' means nothing if that message does not then translate to anything actually meaningful, like sales. Your not going to have publishers crawling back to Nintendo because they bought Platinum, this won't turn any heads like you seem to suggest it will, no one gives a ****. Nintendo need sales, and Platinum is too niche to drive sales in any substantial way to help Nintendo's current situation. Wonderful 101 demonstrated that. They're not going to bring out the Halo-effect.

The industry doesn't care what companies try and do, they care about what companies succeed in doing, as do Nintendo's shareholders and investors. So like I said, this won't 'help' Nintendo in their current predicament. Platinum's offerings are quite minor in the grand scheme of things.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I would love for Platinum to be 2nd party as well. If we could get Nintendo to be a Sony in that it has the ability and the willpower to appeal to all audiences, that'd be just dandy. ;)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I would love for Platinum to be 2nd party as well. If we could get Nintendo to be a Sony in that it has the ability and the willpower to appeal to all audiences, that'd be just dandy. ;)

Sony's appealed more to the "hardcore" (read: 12-15 year-old) market lately. They seem to be trying to reverse this with games like The Puppeteer and Knack, but they dropped pretty much all semblance of "all audiences" with the PS3, which is a shame, since the PS2 is probably the most widely-appealing console ever. We'll have to see how it goes with the PS4.

Nintendo also clearly WANTS to appeal to all audiences, attempting to make the Wii U succeed where the GameCube failed, but 3rd parties just don't want to jump on board. Part of this is Nintendo's fault for not officially releasing the specs and releasing their hard-hitting exclusives extremely late, but the half-assed/gimped ports of already released games certainly didn't help, so many third parties are to blame, as well.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nintendo also clearly WANTS to appeal to all audiences, attempting to make the Wii U succeed where the GameCube failed, but 3rd parties just don't want to jump on board. Part of this is Nintendo's fault for not officially releasing the specs and releasing their hard-hitting exclusives extremely late, but the half-assed/gimped ports of already released games certainly didn't help, so many third parties are to blame, as well.

Well, let's just hope that Nintendo and Platinum can strike a deal; Kamiya and co. certainly aren't going the EA or Activision route with lazy ports ;)

Salem

SICK
Will buying up companies and thus making them into 2nd party REALLY benefit Nintendo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom