• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hero Mode: Good or Bad?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Ok, in my opinion, Hero Mode is officially sick. I've actually had to commit tactical suicides. I've only done that in Zelda II before. And I'm only in the middle of the Earth Temple. With no hearts popping up to heal Link, it's really quite insane how much I'm going to have to rely on potions until I get that Heart Medal. I'm so used to being able to cut the grass to find hearts or having hearts always pop out of certain enemies, but it just won't happen! I constantly have to keep reminding myself that the hearts don't exist in this mode! I'm really having a blast with Hero Mode, and I really think it blows Master Quest 3D out of the water (difficulty-wise). You?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
--------
It's good, but it's still weaksauce compared to Master Quest 3D. All it essentially is is a Hardcore mode (anyone who has played Dead Space 2 will know what I'm talking about) a heartless 3HC, no puzzle changes at all. If you know how to block, you're good to go. If you memorized the dungeon layouts (especially Sky Keep, though you can do some OoB to skip the Fire Room which as memory serves leads to Power), you've absolutely won Hero Mode. I'd love it very much so if they'd forced some mirrorness despite reception (yes, I fully understand that mirroring the entire game could very well break the motion controls in their entirety, I fully understand that). If enemies were stronger, aggresive, smarter. If we finally started with three hearts rather than six, ON TOP OF double damage (other three hearts could've been made by different, more secretly hidden goddess Cubes?). Maybe even get some never before seen enemies, like Iron Knuckles or Dark Link. My problem is, with the first playthrough being so easy, Hero Mode doesn't prove a challenge because if you can dodge in the first playthrough, you can do so in HM. Blocking is of no consequence because we start off with all materials except stuffs like dem Gratitude Crystals. In a rut without materials? Farming is no longer needed, just get some rupees and you're good to go! Basically, Hero Mode is just being dealt more damage with less ways to go about with healing. There are no witty puzzle changes, which is a huge let down. Enemies are not switched up so as to make the player go "but I thought that was a DEKU BABA?!". It's just double damage with no heart drops, nothing special.

On the contrary, Hero Mode is not hard. Barring the lack of heart drops, that's how Skyward Sword should've initially been played: Three Hearts At The Start. (lol, THATS.) What you think is hard is just the game having been so lenient on you, allowing you time to recuperate when you should never have had the chance (i.e you would been killed or potions would have a negligible effect). Master Quest 3D highlights that as we STILL start off with three hearts yet we take double damage as well.

Master Quest 3D Gives You:
  • Double Damage
  • Puzzle Changes
  • Enemy Actor Changes
  • Enemy Diversity
  • Slight Sidequest Changes (major one being the Gold Skulltula sidequest)

Hero Mode Gives You:
  • Double Damage
  • No Heart Drops

I just can't look at HM and say it beats MQ3D, because it really doesn't as far as changes go.
All in all, Hero Mode is a great addition but it is nowhere near MQ3D.
--------

Last edited:

LBillyG

27 Different Things.
I found some parts of the game hard in just normal mode, but I guess it was because I rushed a bit too much. Hero mode sounds like a challenge... a challenge to be accepted.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Well I have beaten MQ 3DS a couple of times and I don't think it is that hard at all. I finished it the same day when I unlocked it but it was far from hard to me. I haven't even finished SS yet and am still busy (I'm in Lanayru Mines) so I don't think about the Hero's Mode yet. LOL!!!

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
Challenge is great. It allows you to work hard and put your all into it sucking you into the game. Even though Hero's Mode is very frusterating at times it gives you a chance to play skyward sword but in a different way. Now if your bored of the main quest just hop on over to heroes mode. Now granted Hero's mode did not live up to my expectations, I was expecting more of a Masters Quest feel. This would mean the puzzles were changed and side quest changes and more. Heroes mode just makes enemys give more damage and find less hearts. It's hard and a break from the main quest but it needs to be a bit more like Masters Quest.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well I have beaten MQ 3DS a couple of times and I don't think it is that hard at all. I finished it the same day when I unlocked it but it was far from hard to me. I haven't even finished SS yet and am still busy (I'm in Lanayru Mines) so I don't think about the Hero's Mode yet. LOL!!!
If you find MQ3D to be pretty easy, you should have no trouble at all with HM. All Hero's requires is the ability to block and dodge, nothing more.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
If you find MQ3D to be pretty easy, you should have no trouble at all with HM. All Hero's requires is the ability to block and dodge, nothing more.

Seriously, I really don't think MQ 3D is that difficult. It is mirrored yes but maybe because I played MQ GC itself a couple of times before and the only difference is it is mirrored compared to that one. I haven't beaten SS yet so once I beat it (I take my time :P ) I will play HM

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Seriously, I really don't think MQ 3D is that difficult. It is mirrored yes but maybe because I played MQ GC itself a couple of times before and the only difference is it is mirrored compared to that one. I haven't beaten SS yet so once I beat it (I take my time :P ) I will play HM

Fair enough, I'll accept that. Do take your time gathering materials however, because they transfer over to your HM playthrough (except Gratitude Crystals among other purple bar Collections).

@ VanitasXII Yes, three hearts is a GREAT idea! lets all go up to Ghirahim and say "I have three hearts! please kill me instantaneously!"
Actually, it would be much more realistic that way, as the two are swinging blades at each other! If I were to be cut, stabbed rather, in my heart, I would die instantaneously. Having six hearts made that battle way too easy, even with Hero Mode which essentially puts you at three. If you can loop Ghirahim (anyone can, he's a piece of pie waiting to be cut up...no pun intended), you won't take damage and therefore having three hearts makes no real difference than having six (except less clutter on screen for the time being).

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
--------
It's good, but it's still weaksauce compared to Master Quest 3D. All it essentially is is a Hardcore mode (anyone who has played Dead Space 2 will know what I'm talking about) a heartless 3HC, no puzzle changes at all. If you know how to block, you're good to go. If you memorized the dungeon layouts (especially Sky Keep, though you can do some OoB to skip the Fire Room which as memory serves leads to Power), you've absolutely won Hero Mode. I'd love it very much so if they'd forced some mirrorness despite reception (yes, I fully understand that mirroring the entire game could very well break the motion controls in their entirety, I fully understand that). If enemies were stronger, aggresive, smarter. If we finally started with three hearts rather than six, ON TOP OF double damage (other three hearts could've been made by different, more secretly hidden goddess Cubes?). Maybe even get some never before seen enemies, like Iron Knuckles or Dark Link. My problem is, with the first playthrough being so easy, Hero Mode doesn't prove a challenge because if you can dodge in the first playthrough, you can do so in HM. Blocking is of no consequence because we start off with all materials except stuffs like dem Gratitude Crystals. In a rut without materials? Farming is no longer needed, just get some rupees and you're good to go! Basically, Hero Mode is just being dealt more damage with less ways to go about with healing. There are no witty puzzle changes, which is a huge let down. Enemies are not switched up so as to make the player go "but I thought that was a DEKU BABA?!". It's just double damage with no heart drops, nothing special.

On the contrary, Hero Mode is not hard. Barring the lack of heart drops, that's how Skyward Sword should've initially been played: Three Hearts At The Start. (lol, THATS.) What you think is hard is just the game having been so lenient on you, allowing you time to recuperate when you should never have had the chance (i.e you would been killed or potions would have a negligible effect). Master Quest 3D highlights that as we STILL start off with three hearts yet we take double damage as well.

Master Quest 3D Gives You:
  • Double Damage
  • Puzzle Changes
  • Enemy Actor Changes
  • Enemy Diversity
  • Slight Sidequest Changes (major one being the Gold Skulltula sidequest)

Hero Mode Gives You:
  • Double Damage
  • No Heart Drops

I just can't look at HM and say it beats MQ3D, because it really doesn't as far as changes go.
All in all, Hero Mode is a great addition but it is nowhere near MQ3D.
--------

Ok, I should have elaborated that I meant better than MQ3D in difficulty. I've edited that in, now.

You make it sound like it's easy. It's not to most people. Blocking and dodging perfectly requires immense reaction skills, which most people don't have. You're one of the Zelda players that can breeze through any game when you get used to the controls (as am I). Not all people are like that, so you can't hold that standard to everyone.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Sorry, JJ, for making a fool out of your thread. It's a flaw of mine, I only consider myself whenever I get angry at things :/ I realize now that just because I can breeze through MQ or HM that others may not have the ability. So again, I apologize and I'll exit this thread.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Sorry, JJ, for making a fool out of your thread. It's a flaw of mine, I only consider myself whenever I get angry at things :/ I realize now that just because I can breeze through MQ or HM that others may not have the ability. So again, I apologize and I'll exit this thread.

I wouldn't say you made a fool out of my thread at all. You presented your honest opinions, and I agree with quite a few of them. You just failed to realize that difficulty ultimately is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

im at skykeep in hero mode and it so far it hasn't been that hard. Getting the hylian shield in boss battle mode is tricky though, since your not allowed to have your adventure pouch with you and all hits take at least 2 hearts away from you

Ironicly, I find Hero Mode easier than normal mode, but since I know what I'm doing, you can see why. In terms of the difficulty, I don't think it's increased that much, enemies do double damage, there's nothing paticularly hard about that, you just have to avoid enemy attacks. I think the fact that hearts don't appear is a very harsh thing to do, but that's all part of the challenge, and it forces you to rely on Potions until you get the Heart Medal.

I hope this isn't much of a spoiler, but what I like about Hero mode is that your records for the mini-games and your treasures and insects get transfered, which is very handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom