• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Help with Quest for Warm Doublet

Hi everyone,

I just got my hands on Zelda and am playing for the first time - I am struggling completing the quest for a warm doublet from the Old Man.
I've visited his cabin and read his diary and have hunted for Hyrule Bass, Wild Boar and or Duck/Chicken, and got the spicy peppers. I've cooked it twice now, once with the boar meat and again with the bird/duck meat and both times the meal came out as planned. The old man does not appear and I can't find him at the cabin, he is still in the first spot I ran into him near the shrine of resurrections.

Do I have to complete more Shrines/Trials first? I've done the Bomb one and The Magensis Shrines.

Thanks in advance, and if you have any other tips for a newbie Zelda Player I'll take them!

I can't believe how long it took me to play this game, it seems like a ton of fun thus far and I'm only scratching the surface!

I don't ever recall being able to get the warm doublet from the Old Man until after I completed the four shrines on the Plateau and got the paraglider. After that, I found it in a chest inside the Old Man's cabin on the east side of the Plateau, I think. For the cold region's shrine, I just used the cold resistance food bonus.

If there is a way to get one before completing the Plateau, then I've never managed it. But it's probably meant as a passive tutorial thing to encourage you to try the food bonus/effects before then being later given option to use equipment to achieve the same thing.

Good luck with your playthrough and I hope you enjoy the game!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Once you make the dish, you're supposed to talk to him again and follow a dialogue chain that leads to him asking you the ingredients. It should be: raw meat, hyrule bass, and spicy peppers. If you made one using those three things, I don't see why he wouldn't bring it up. Typically I find that talking to him when he's chilling at the cooking pot in the forest is where I always got it from him.

Alternatively, if you climb to the highest point on Mt. Hylia without it, he will just give it to you for free. Or you can do as Frax said and wait until after clearing the Plateau and getting it from a chest in his house.

MW7

I didn't even know there was a quest, but at your current state of progress he should be on top of Mt. Hylia as Azure Sage said which is about halfway between the two shrines you haven't done yet in the snowy region. I would always consume a spicy pepper dish to reach the top of Mt. Hylia, and then use the warm doublet to take my time exploring the snowy regions to reach the two shrines there. If you run out of spicy peppers, you can also use a lit torch to stay warm, but it's more difficult as you can't really defend yourself without risking the torch breaking.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think it's also worth pointing out that the old man follows a routine with the day-night cycle. In the day he's chopping wood by the gorge (which is a cue to tell you that you can make a bridge by chopping down a tree), and then in the evening he's resting by his cabin. He also appears in fixed spots, like the cooking pot in the woods or the top of Mt. Hylia, depending on where you're exploring. It's not necessarily about the order of shrines or their number of completion, though you do need to do that first one first iirc.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
On my first playthrough I didn't get the Warm Doublet directly from him, but I went back to his cabin afterwards and found it in a treasure chest.

On my second playthrough I got it from him ontop of Mt. Hylia. I never tried to go fishing early in the game to make the recipe in the diary but I always figured I could get the Doublet early if I spent time doing it. The only place on the Plateau that could be a fishing spot is that pond near the Temple of Time and I never expected that pond long enough to confirm if it even has any Hyrule Bass.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
On my first playthrough I didn't get the Warm Doublet directly from him, but I went back to his cabin afterwards and found it in a treasure chest.

On my second playthrough I got it from him ontop of Mt. Hylia. I never tried to go fishing early in the game to make the recipe in the diary but I always figured I could get the Doublet early if I spent time doing it. The only place on the Plateau that could be a fishing spot is that pond near the Temple of Time and I never expected that pond long enough to confirm if it even has any Hyrule Bass.
Actually, most Hyrule bass on the Plateau can be found in the pond next to the tower. I believe there's more in there than in the pond near the temple.

Hyrule Bass can be found in the pond behind where the old man sits-first meeting.
Open the Tower first, climb back down, there should be Bass in the pond by that first shrine.
Spicy peppers can be found just inside the gateway to the snowy area.
You can shoot a pigeon near the old man’s hut.
Talk to the old man, he’s chopping trees near his hut by the gorge, finish the job for him then talk to him again by his fire, if you’ve read the diary in the hut you know the recipe. Make it in his cooking pot, talk to him again there and he will give you the doublet.
Make sure you pick up everything you can, food or weapon, you can dump a weapon in favour of a better one.
Have fun and enjoy it, it’s a huge world once you get out there and it will keep you amused for quite a while!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom