• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heart Containers: Entire, or Pieces?

Owner828

I'm not the muffin man!
In every Zelda game there has been a sort of way to gain health, and it has been the heart container. You receive one after defeating each boss, but in the games there have been extra scattered out in caves, and the over-world. But, there have been two forms of finding them besides the boss battles. Some have been whole heart containers, but in most games it has been in pieces, usually in fourths except for in Twilight Princess in which it was fifths. There are advantages and disadvantages to each of them.

Whole Containers
Advantages: Easier to get higher health, takes less time then when you have to find several other pieces.
Disadvantages: When bought more expensive, loses that sense of adventure that finding pieces have.

Containers in Pieces
Advantages: Fun to go around the map finding them, cheaper then whole.
Disadvantages: May take longer to get higher health, spend more time then in whole.

Personally, I like the pieces system better. I believe it is more fun to go around the entire map to find several of these pieces, and feeling of satisfaction when you complete one of these containers. But it can be a bit confusing at sometimes o_O and sometimes make you annoyed:dry:

What do you think? Which system is better then the other?

This is one of the reasons I absolutely hate phantom hourglass. It was a young kids game. There was not the in depth thinking needed to find all the pieces. Majora's Mask did this the best I say. You had to do the Kafei quest several times to obtain the required masks for different pieces:postman's hat, couples mask, other stuff. The last four pieces were
on the moon in the kids mini dungeons
. What could be better? Because of the extra pieces hidden in the dungeons in TP I had to us a guide for my three hart run:lol:.

Zen

Guardian of Courage
Searching for the heart pieces. It provides a challenge and when Twilight Princess introduced the proccess of getting 5 Heart pieces instead of 4 to get another heart container, it was even better!

Like fred said, phantom hourglass and other games like so were more geared towards kids. It makes sense that the challenges might be a bit easier.

Since I'm not a kid...i'd prefer challenges for my age. It's common sense.

Ice Sage

these are words
I like having heart pieces much better. I like the challenge of having to find and collect multiple units and finally the satisfaction of creating a new heart container.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Heart Pieces FTW. Way more fun for collection. Also more sidequests which are fun. I didn't like that the DS games did the Heart container rout....

I would actually like to heart pieces varying in size depending on how difficult they are to obtain. (their could be 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and full)

For example if there is an "extra dungeon" to full scale but as a side quest with a heart container reward i would totally dig that. and if i fell down a random whole in a feild to discover some monsters guarding a chest containing a 1/4 heart it would still feel worth it.

the problem with having one standard is either that 1/4 hearts can almost seem not worth getting the hardest couple. but whole heart containers can make you feel undeserving.

with that said i like the pieces style over the full heart style. more adventerous

I'm with all of you, I like heart pieces. My main reason for this preference is because one of my favorite parts of Zelda is searching every nook and cranny to find all of the heart pieces. If there are just five heart containers (like in LoZ), then I barely spend any time exploring, and I feel like I haven't accomplished much. However, I believe that in LoZ, the container system worked better because that game is so freaking hard that you need health as quickly as possible. With that one exception, I like heart pieces and as many as possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom