• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Harps

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
We have seen many harps thorughout Zelda, Sheik's harp, Medli/Laruto Harp, and the Harp of Ages

Sheik_With_Harp.gif
150px-Medli_TWW.png
images
nayru.gif

Do you believe that the harps mean anything..? Of course the haro of ages help you, well move time. But what about Laruto's and Medli's? I would like to point out how they resemble the fishaman of WW

150px-Fishman.png

Of course, Laruto is a Zora so she had a relationship with water...the real question is, why a fish for an EARTH temple...

Also what about Sheik's? Do you believe anything about it...

Djinn

and Tonic
The Harp is a very old traditional musical instrument. They have existed for over five thousand years and fit well into many historical periods and countries. It is not at all surprising that they have appeared in the Zelda series in several forms. They were common in many Mediterranean and Celtic countries and many mythological characters were said to play them.

It has had a symbolic meaning for a long time as well.
The harp, as a heraldic symbol, signifies contemplation, thoughtfulness, and gentle pursuits. Harps are ancient instrument and were depicted in paintings from the 13th cent. B.C. at Thebes. The harp was particularly popular in Ireland from the 9th cent, where they adopted the Irish harp, as a national symbol. The Irish bards were sacred musicians and poets of their country, using the beautiful sounds of the harp to bridge heaven and earth. James I was the first English monarch to quarter the ensign of Ireland. Musical instruments are heraldic symbols that, in general, signify festivity and rejoicing.
http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp/keyword.harp/qx/symbolism_details.htm

So seeing mostly sages and otherwise magical individuals such as Nayru and Medli playing one does not surprise me. It actually appears to be an instrument important to Nayru the goddess of Wisdom. Since the oracle Nayru, Zora sage Laruto, Rito sage Medli, and Sheik
the holder of the triforce of wisdom
all play one. They have some kind of connection to the goddess of wisdom. Possibly as the creator of the arts, and guardian of trained skill and knowledge. In history bards were the keepers of knowledge, preserving their histories in songs and poems, and represented by their instrument such as a harp.

I did not notice the similarities between the fishman and the face on Medli's harp. I had always thought of the two pieces on the top that hold the strings as horns and assumed it was a goat or other related animal. But a fish does fit the connection as well. Since Nayru also appears to be represented by water, or related to water as the Zora often keep the symbol of Nayru as their tribe symbol. Nayru's color is blue, and is usualy associated with the water temple. So it might not be unusual to have an instrument of Nayru have the face of not only a water creature on it, but an intelligent information spreading animal on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom