• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Hardcore" Vs "Casual" Game(er)s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganondork

goo
Gonna jump in and quote a couple of posts from several pages ago. But before that, I'm just gonna go ahead and say that casual and hardcore should refer to how you play that specific game. There are hardcore League of Legends players, and I would consider that game, "Casual." Kybyrian, for example, is a hardcore Call of Duty gamer, and I would also consider that series casual, given the skewed definition some people like to give. Likewise, "Hardcore," games like Counter-Strike can be played casually. Source: I play it casually. In case you didn't catch it, I am being sarcastic about Counter-Strike being actually hardcore.

Anyway.

PancakeSamurai said:
FPSes are really bland, casual, limiting, and simple. I'd rather play an Action/Adventure or RPG, because those games don't get boring after 10 minutes.

This is a subjective point I can't really refute, but I will go ahead and suggest you give Natural Selection 2 a try. It's a really interesting multiplayer FPS RTS with a lot of planning, communication, and teamwork involved. It's more than just aim and fire; it's resource management, timing, and proper leadership from the commanders. It's relatively cheap, so it's not a bad investment. Likewise, I suggest you give some indie games a try, as there are more Action/Adventure titles in that market than the AAA market.

TehLeetHaxor said:
And let me guess, you never gamed on a PC?

I find it interesting how you look down on people who you don't think play on PC. I play on both console and PC, and I am perfectly at home with both. If not for the indie market, I wouldn't PC game at all. Fact is, it's not some oasis that you make it out to be. Do mods make games more fun? Yeah. Am I willing to constantly buy new graphics cards, update my PSU and CPU for better graphics and mods? Not really. I don't play many games on a hardcore level, so I don't have to worry about whether or not mouse-and-keyboard is superior to controllers or not. Hell, I use a controller for Skullgirls and a few other games when gaming on my PC. Sometimes the button scheme is more convenient on a controller.

Also, Half Life and Counter Strike aren't as good as you make them out to be, just so you know.

Atticus said:
The real question that should be asked is, who cares? At the end of the day, you either play video games or you don't. Why do we have to divide ourselves into different classes of gamers?

People always want to be special snowflakes when they are passionate about things; it isn't exclusive to gaming. If you look at basketball fans, you'll have people saying that they're more hardcore than the people who turn the game on every now and then. If you look at music, you can see people saying they listen to more obscure music, and are therefore more refined taste than other people. Division will always exist.

Source: I want to be a special snowflake, god dammit.

I find it interesting how you look down on people who you don't think play on PC. I play on both console and PC, and I am perfectly at home with both. If not for the indie market, I wouldn't PC game at all. Fact is, it's not some oasis that you make it out to be. Do mods make games more fun? Yeah. Am I willing to constantly buy new graphics cards, update my PSU and CPU for better graphics and mods? Not really. I don't play many games on a hardcore level, so I don't have to worry about whether or not mouse-and-keyboard is superior to controllers or not. Hell, I use a controller for Skullgirls and a few other games when gaming on my PC. Sometimes the button scheme is more convenient on a controller.

Also, Half Life and Counter Strike aren't as good as you make them out to be, just so you know.

So you're biggest problem with PC gaming is having to upgrade constantly? Let me tell you this. You don't have to upgrade all the time. Upgrading is an optional luxury, not a nessecity for PC gaming. You pretty much only have to upgrade once per console generation.

You know what the Nvidia 8800 GT is? It's a mid-range graphics card from 2006. It costed $200 at release. Do you know what Battlefield 3 is? One of the most hardware-intensive games from 2011. The 8800 GT can run Battlefield 3 at low settings (which still looks better than console) at 1080p 30 FPS. PC hardware isn't really more expensive than console hardware. In the long term, PC gaming will be even cheaper, due to the ridicolously low cost of games on PC.

I look down on people who play consoles because most of the times, their justification is made up of invalid reasoning.

Also, Half-Life has a 96 score on metacritic, won 50 game-of-the-year awards, and spawned a huge number of mods. Counter-Strike has a metacritic score of 88, was the first FPS that put teamwork above individual skill, and still has a large dedicated playerbase today.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I look down on people who play consoles

Regardless of the reasoning, this is proof that you consider yourself superior as a person because you're a PC gamer. You've been exposed.

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

Also, your reasoning is BS because you yourself have said many a completely ridiculous thing about gaming. You also deprive yourself by not gaming on all platforms.

So you're saying that their opinions are invalid?

Everyone backs up opinions with supposed "facts". For console users, these usually include:

-Consoles/console gaming is cheaper (false, I proved in my previous post)
-Consoles simply "work" (RROD, YLOD, overheatings PS4s, extra-large system updates, etc.)
-I want to play on a TV (PC can do exactly the same)
-I like to use a controller (PC can do the same plus with a wider range of controllers)
-Console gaming is where all the innovation is (false, technology is designed on PCs)
-I like console exclusives (This is the ONLY valid reason)

You also deprive yourself by not gaming on all platforms.

Am I depriving myself if I always drive a Lamborghini Aventador and never drive a Honda Civic?

Last edited:

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Everyone backs up opinions with supposed "facts". For console users, these usually include:

-Consoles/console gaming is cheaper (false, I proved in my previous post)
-Consoles simply "work" (RROD, YLOD, overheatings PS4s, extra-large system updates, etc.)
-I want to play on a TV (PC can do exactly the same)
-I like to use a controller (PC can do the same plus with a wider range of controllers)
-Console gaming is where all the innovation is (false, technology is designed on PCs)
-I like console exclusives (This is the ONLY valid reason)

How about just liking consoles in general?

Why are you still trying to convince people to like PC because your "facts" are just as opinionated as ours.

I have never even heard of PC gaming until a few years ago, so I'm obviously going to chose console over PC because it's what I'm used to. No amount of power, or graphics, or things that are "better on the PC" will ever change that.

I fail to see your motivation when literally no one is going like "You're right! Time to throw out all my consoles." They didn't budge then, and they won't budge now.

Also, this thread is still open? :O

Am I depriving myself if I always drive a Lamborghini Aventador and never drive a Honda Civic?

That has no relevance at all.

That's like saving "I'm depriving myself from toothpaste because I only use Colgate"

There are main 4 platforms now, not including handhelds and "unknown" consoles. It's not even close to the variety of cars.

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I don't much like labeling people as "hardcore" and "casual" gamers because, in all honesty, where do we draw the line? Is a hardcore gamer somebody who plays a lot of FPS with clunky controls on PC? Or is a hardcore gamer somebody who plays games all the time, with no true opinion on whether or not console or PC is better? Hardcore gamers are people willing to play anything, on anything. There is also such a thing as a Nintendo-exclusive 'hardcore' gamer, so I don't understand why people seem to think hardcore gamers only really play shooters and the like.

That's why I consider myself, despite not labeling people, a casual gamer. I don't really game a lot, and I do have preferences to which games and/or platforms I enjoy playing on. Even when I do game a lot, it's only for a few days, then I get bored and stop playing games entirely for a fairly long while.

Conclusion? True hardcore gamers will play almost anything, on almost any platform. Despite popular belief, hardcores are not limited to PCs and shooters.

Also, do I get points for posting on topic? :senpaipls:

Yet what platforms do almost all of the the legitimately creative games go to? Nintendo's and Sony's.

And what platform are the following pieces of technology exclusively avaliable for?

Razer Hydra (only absolute postion and orientation motion controller in the world)
Emotiv Insight (a EEG based controller that allows controlling games with one's mind)
Oculus Rift (the winner of Golden Joystick's Most Innovative Gaming Tech award and the Best of CES 2014 award)
Virtuix Omni (lets gamers move in their games naturally while remaing stationary)
G-Sync/Freesync (monitor tech that sync refresh rate with GPU, removing tearing and stuttering completely)
PrioVR (full-body absolute position tracking system)
Peregrine (current-sensing gaming glove)

Which platform invented FPS, RTS, MOBA, MMO? Which platform invented online multiplayer? Which platform invented digital distribution? I rest my case.

I don't much like labeling people as "hardcore" and "casual" gamers because, in all honesty, where do we draw the line? Is a hardcore gamer somebody who plays a lot of FPS with clunky controls on PC? Or is a hardcore gamer somebody who plays games all the time, with no true opinion on whether or not console or PC is better? Hardcore gamers are people willing to play anything, on anything. There is also such a thing as a Nintendo-exclusive 'hardcore' gamer, so I don't understand why people seem to think hardcore gamers only really play shooters and the like.

That's why I consider myself, despite not labeling people, a casual gamer. I don't really game a lot, and I do have preferences to which games and/or platforms I enjoy playing on. Even when I do game a lot, it's only for a few days, then I get bored and stop playing games entirely for a fairly long while.

Conclusion? True hardcore gamers will play almost anything, on almost any platform. Despite popular belief, hardcores are not limited to PCs and shooters.

Also, do I get points for posting on topic? :senpaipls:

You may not like drawing the line somewhere, but it has to be done. That's what this thread is for.

How about just liking consoles in general?

Why are you still trying to convince people to like PC because your "facts" are just as opinionated as ours.

I have never even heard of PC gaming until a few years ago, so I'm obviously going to chose console over PC because it's what I'm used to. No amount of power, or graphics, or things that are "better on the PC" will ever change that.

I fail to see your motivation when literally no one is going like "You're right! Time to throw out all my consoles." They didn't budge then, and they won't budge now.

So your reason is that you don't like change? You don't care about having the best expirence?

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
And what platform are the following pieces of technology exclusively avaliable for?

Razer Hydra (only absolute postion and orientation motion controller in the world)
Emotiv Insight (a EEG based controller that allows controlling games with one's mind)
Oculus Rift (the winner of Golden Joystick's Most Innovative Gaming Tech award and the Best of CES 2014 award)
Virtuix Omni (lets gamers move in their games naturally with remaing stationary)
G-Sync/Freesync (monitor tech that sync refresh rate with GPU, removing tearing and stuttering completely)
PrioVR (full-body absolute position tracking system)
Peregrine (current-sensing gaming glove)

Which platform invented FPS, RTS, MOBA, MMO? Which platform invented online multiplayer? Which platform invented digital distribution? I rest my case.

>JJ mentions creative games
>You bash him by talking about technology

Brilliant!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

And once again you make a statement under the assumption that power means everything.

That analogy has literally no relevance. In case you didn't notice, cars don't have exclusive content that comes out on a frequent basis that you get to mess around and have fun with. They're a method of transport -- nothing else. The fact of the matter is that you're missing out on playing kick-*** games by ignoring consoles. Rarely do I ever find a PC exclusive that's actually worth my time. The only reason I bother with PC gaming is because of Steam and mods. Period.

>JJ mentions creative games
>You bash him by talking about technology

Brilliant!

No, the original arguement was about innovation in general.

Not to mention BSOD, Malware, Viri, Windows OS...
Don't get me wrong, I'm A CPU user, too. However, I'm just saying that isn't a very strong comeback.

Those things are easy to deal with if you're at all competent with a computer. See, when a PC has a problem, you can always find a solution and fix it yourself. If a console has a problem, you have to either wait for the company to push out a update, or send the entire console back to the company to be repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom