• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Guns in Spirit Tracks

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
After playing Spirit Tracks for a little while. A question formed in my mind. "Why is there a train here, but no guns?" Acording to the timeline of Earth, Guns were invented several hundred years before trains. I think I have a reason for this. So buckle up your seatbelts…. or horse saddles…. cause here we go!

•Background on Guns:
Gunpowder has been around since 1000 C.E.. The first modern-looking gun was made in the 1400's. This hand held gun was called the Arquebus (try saying that five times fast). This gun was extremely inaccurate and could be blocked by mideval armor at a long range.

•Background on Trains:
The first train was invented by Richard Trevithick in 1804. It replaced the horse-drawn trolly. Trains were widely used throughout 1800 and 1900 as they allowed easy transportation of heavy objects.

•What is going on here?
As you can see, trains were invented long after guns. It took 400 years to go from gunpowder to steam. However, in Spirit Tracks, the opposite seems to be happening. I think I might know why. My answer has to do with another aspect of the game. Yes, it is a little something called the cannon.

•Background on Cannons:
Guns were invented by the chinese in 1100 C.E. This was only about 100 years after the discovery of gunpowder. As time went on, cannons got much more powerful and much more deadly.

•My theory:
I believe that we have two different inventors here. The Hylians and the Lokomo. I believe the Hylians found gun powder (duh, there has been bombs since skyward sword). I also believe that the Hylians had gone on to create cannons as early as Wind Waker (or TP which is parallel). If the Hylians invent as fast as people on Earth, they still have several hundred years until guns are invented. (Spirit Tracks happens less than 100 years after WW and PH).

So where do trains come in? Remember, trains were invented 400 years after guns. That is 600 years from where the Hylians are in Spirit tracks. Because of this, I don't believe that it was the Hylians who made the trains.

Rather, I think it was the Lokomo who made the trains. The Spirits of Good created the spirit tracks, and the Lokomo were the servants of them. The Lokomo ride on machines that were clearly not created by the Hylians. If the Lokomo are so technologically ahead, they could have built trains and not told the Hylians how.

So what do you think? Did I miss something obvious? Am I making a mistake? Please leave a comment below.

:deku: TwilightDeku Theory #2 :deku:

EDIT: Alright, there seems to be some confusion with me using the date of inventions on Earth. I am NOT saying that there is going to be a Richard Trevithick in the Zelda universe. I am only trying to peg the dates on inventions relative to when swords and bows were widely used. I am not saying that guns will be invented EXACTLY 400 years after the discovery of gunpowder. I am just showing the general flow of time from invention to invention.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
In Zelda, the flow of our history doesn't have to apply. The train was added as a gameplay function. There's no reason for guns not being in Spirit Tracks other than Nintendo didn't put them in. There's not really anything there worth theorizing about.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
You cannot apply real world logic to the world of Hyrule. .
Yes I can! Many factors and technology used in making guns were used to make trains. The steam engine would not have been created without the physics and technology in the gun.

Think back to that old phrase "You cant build a house without a foundation"
Guns and gunpowder helped form a base for modern combustion and projectile physics which in turn helped make the steam engine. Thanks for pointing this out to me though...

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I believe the Hylians found gun powder (duh, there has been bombs since skyward sword).

Well, in Skyward Sword all the bombs were plants. They still had bombs by the time Minish Cap comes along so they had bombs for a very long time but I just thought I'd mention that.

Yes I can! Many factors and technology used in making guns were used to make trains. The steam engine would not have been created without the physics and technology in the gun.

You really can't. If you did follow real-world logic, you'd have to explain how people travel through time and how medallions can freeze people, fairies and ghosts, staffs that create blocks, leaves that let you fly and all manner of other things which simply do not and cannot exist in the real-world.

Even just taking bombs, in Skyward Sword they are just plants. That already defies real-world logic but the next game in the timeline is Minish Cap, in which they have remote detonated bombs. Why then would that technology disappear by the time Ocarina of Time comes along? You simply can't apply real-world logic to Zelda.

its zelda, real life things can not affect the awesomeness (even though spirit tracks is one of the worst ones)

You haven't understood me at all have you? Just because event A happened before event B in our history does not mean it has to in the Zelda timeline. This is one of the many joys of fiction. If the Zelda universe really did follow our own timeline then there would be so many inaccuracies it would be impossible for historical nuts to play. But it's not. Hence why you can get robots in SS, giant mechanically floating cities in TP and working cannons in WW.

What TheBlueReptile has said in this post sums it up. The Zelda universe is a universe that doesn't follow a similar timeline to the real universe's timeline. There are many inventions that aren't included in the Zelda series that would have to if it was to follow the same order of things being invented that humanity has.

Then you have the fact that there are items that never invented in the first place, further adding to the fact that Zelda doesn't follow our own universe. Items like the Dominion Rod in Twilight Princess, all the gauntlets that gave Link extra strength in Ocarina of Time... etc, There is a huge list of items like this.

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
In Zelda, the flow of our history doesn't have to apply. The train was added as a gameplay function. There's no reason for guns not being in Spirit Tracks other than Nintendo didn't put them in. There's not really anything there worth theorizing about.

Then what's the point of theorising about anything, if the bottom line is that it was included for gameplay?

Well, there are canons... which, if I am not mistake uses gun powder...
However actually using a gun... no, I just really don't see having a gun in a Zelda games...
I just don't see it... I can't see playing a Zelda game then having to pull out a 7mm or something to pick off a far off foe...
And why do you not see it ST, well, I just don't think it fits in Zelda game and it does not have to correlate to our real timeline...

I totally agree with what you're saying, but you're comparing a fictional world to ours. Saying that guns were made 100 years before trains is true, but not in the Zelda universe. For example, I could say Bokoblins aren't real so they can't be in the game, but that doesn't make any sense, does it?

Otherwise, nice thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom