• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Greatest game from each Nintendo console

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
This is just off the top of my head, based on both games I've played and what I know to be general consensus, but this is what I would consider to be the greatest game from each Nintendo console:
NES: Super Mario Bros 3
SNES: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Honorable mention Super Metroid, Super Mario World)
N64: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Honorable mention Super Mario 64)
GameCube: The Legend of Zelda: The WindWaker
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy*
Wii U: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Switch: Super Smash Brothers Ultimate (Honorable mention Super Mario Odyssey*)

*=I've never actually played for myself

Feel free to debate/make your own list.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
even what we see as overall greatest is subjective, just comes down to perspective

NES: Super Mario Bros 3
SNES: Chrono Trigger
N64: Majora's Mask
GC: Super Smash Bros Melee
Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles
Wii U: Breath of the Wild
Switch: Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
NES: Super Mario Bros. 3
SNES: A Link to the Past
N64: Ocarina of Time
GameCube: Resident Evil 4 (crazy that it was an exclusive at the time)
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy
Wii U: Breath of the Wild (since it was originally developed for Wii U, even though a lot of people probably ended up playing it on Switch. Alternative for Wii U would be Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and for Switch I'd give it to BotW instead)
Switch: Tears of the Kingdom (I could put Super Mario Odyssey here instead too)

Game Boy: Pokémon Yellow
Game Boy Color: Link's Awakening DX
Game Boy Advanced: Golden Sun
Nintendo DS: Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Nintendo 3DS: A Link Between Worlds

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
NES: Super Mario Bros 3. This is a generation known for bull**** difficulty and awful game design, so Mario Brothers 3 ends up being a standout.
SNES: Super Metroid or ALTTP.
N64: Majora's Mask. While OoT came out first I definitely don't consider it better.
Gamecube: Resident Evil 4.
Wii U/Switch: Breath of the Wild. Seeing as the Wii U's library sucked and BotW launched same day for both I'll lump them together.

I’ll just go with my favorites

NES: Kirby’s Adventure
SNES: Super Metroid, maybe followed close by Uniracers
N64: Majora’s Mask
Gamecube: Wind Waker, Paper Mario 2 not far behind
Wii: No More Heroes or Okami
WiiU: gonna have a hot take here but Devil’s Third. Though I kinda wish I could have got more into ZombiU
Switch: so far I’m a bit torn between Tears of the Kingdom and Kirby and the Forgotten Land, and I have high hope for Prime 4

Gameboy/Color: Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Gameboy Advance: Mother 3
DS: Hotel Dusk Room 215 tied with Flower Sun & Rain
3DS: maybe Liberation Maiden? did not have much interest in 3DS tbh. And it’s too bad this game seems lost to the ether now

NES: Super Mario Bros 2 USA, or Super Mario Bros 3.
SNES: This one's a tough one. Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, or Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, with Super Mario World not too far behind. I still boot up my SNES for Mario Paint music composition sometimes.
N64: Not having a N64 back when it was released, I can only go by virtual console, but surprisingly no Rare titles in my lineup got to be Paper Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time. Super Mario 64 doesn't quite make the cut. Never really felt motivated to complete the game, and there was never a strong balance in difficulty with the game. Some stars are a lot more easier than others, with harder ones directly after.
GameCube: A lot of strong titles, but I'd have to put either Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, or Twilight Princess, with the Pikmin games and Pokémon Colosseum not too far behind.
Wii: Either Okami, Super Paper Mario, or Super Mario Galaxy.
Wii U: Twilight Princess HD, honestly the best remake Zelda has seen thus far, right next to Ocarina of Time 3D.
Switch: I will probably update this section later, because with two of my favorite games being remade, I feel it's too early to make a decision right now.
Game Boy: Just for warning, I've never owned a Game Boy handheld of any iteration, first handheld I got was a DS.
I've only played one Game Boy game, Pokémon Blue version, but if I had to pick a game from the Game Boy line that I don't own, I think I'd like Donkey Kong more.
Game Boy Color: I don't know any game from this handheld, except for the Pokémon games, so I'd have to go with Pokémon Crystal.
Game Boy Advance: Even though I'm a Pokemon fan, I'd have to give this one to Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, no contest. Easily the most fun I've ever played for the system on virtual console.
DS: I'd have to give this one to either Super Mario 64 DS, Plants vs Zombies DS, or the DSi downloadable exclusive The Lost Town: The Dust.
3DS: Either Luigi's Mansion 3D, or Ocarina of Time 3D. I actually don't own that many 3DS titles that were first released on the handheld, but I will always pick the Nintendo 64 version of Majora's Mask over the 3DS version.
Stay tuned for when I finally update which Switch titles are my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom