• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Graphics: Skyward Sword Vs. Twilight Princess.

Graphics: Skyward Sword Vs. Twilight Princess.

• I Prefer The Graphics Used In TP.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Prefer The Graphics Being Used In SS.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
In the last few days since the release of the trailer and screenshots of SS during E3, I've read many mixed views from members on this forum on the subject of the graphics being used in SS. So, I wanted to make an overall poll to see where the fine members of the ZD forum stand.

From what we have seen, do you prefer the TP graphics or the SS graphics?

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
I... don't really prefer either. I like them both as much as eachother! Both are valid graphical styles, but they're different enough that it is kind of unfair that people are comparing them...

That said, I would probably have to say I like.... no, see, I can't make myself choose. I don't know. I like both.
TP's style always creates quite a dark and sinister mood, but also manages to create a surreal beauty in the Twilight, and up Snowpeak, and felt Zelda-y, whereas this style is vibrant and impressionistic, everything's been light and beautiful so far, but it also has the potential to creat some really atmospheric creepy dungeons, like WW did, and it also feels Zelda-y... so it's darn hard to choose.

Let's look at this a different way then: I was expecting to see improved TP graphics, and would have been cheering like mad if they chose those, but the SS style has grown on me so much now. I suppose I'd have to concede that I do prefer SS's a little better, mainly because I'm a sucker for more surrealistic styles :P

Also: TP trees looked rubbish, SS tree look niiiiice. XD

Last edited:

13foxes

Personally I prefer the TP graphics. It's more realistic and more detailed. Its dark tone gives me creep when I saw it, and reminds me of something sad and undone and... Hmm... I just can't describe it. But I love graphics that gives you dark feelings. I don't say that the SS graphics is bad, but its sel-shading is just too light tone and felt a little like Mario.

Phantom Zelda

Mostly Harmless
I like both but the graphics in SS are so much brighter and thats what I like. TP was good but it was just really dark and other games like that are good but its not Zeldaish but once in a while a game like that is ok.

Epona

Ordon Village
I didn't vote, because I choose "other." I like both graphics. TP's graphics were really amazing, and I also loved WW's graphics. A hybrid of both looks awesome too. I'm satisfied with whatever graphics are given to me in a game. I am not picky.

LANZZ

Scarecrow
I don't care about graphic. i only care about game-play and storyline. I'll like any game that have nice game-play and storyline.:)

I... don't really prefer either. I like them both as much as eachother! Both are valid graphical styles, but they're different enough that it is kind of unfair that people are comparing them...

That said, I would probably have to say I like.... no, see, I can't make myself choose. I don't know. I like both.
TP's style always creates quite a dark and sinister mood, but also manages to create a surreal beauty in the Twilight, and up Snowpeak, and felt Zelda-y, whereas this style is vibrant and impressionistic, everything's been light and beautiful so far, but it also has the potential to creat some really atmospheric creepy dungeons, like WW did, and it also feels Zelda-y... so it's darn hard to choose.

Let's look at this a different way then: I was expecting to see improved TP graphics, and would have been cheering like mad if they chose those, but the SS style has grown on me so much now. I suppose I'd have to concede that I do prefer SS's a little better, mainly because I'm a sucker for more surrealistic styles :P

Also: TP trees looked rubbish, SS tree look niiiiice. XD

Stole the words out of my mouth. Except reverse the trees the SS looked bad but the TP trees looked better, but SS still has time for graphical improvements so we will see how the trees look then

D

dsp2000

This is hard for me to answer because SS hasn't been released yet. The graphics won't change that much, but they've hinted that the graphics will be touched up before the final release. As of now, I think I like TP's graphics better. BUT, as time goes on and I watch the little Skyward Sword videos we have, I begin to get more and more excited about the graphics. SO like I said, when the game is released the graphics most likely will receive a touch-up and at that time I may prefer them compared to TP.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Stole the words out of my mouth. Except reverse the trees the SS looked bad but the TP trees looked better, but SS still has time for graphical improvements so we will see how the trees look then

Heh, sorry for stealing your words :3
And I was going to argue back that TP trees look like twigs with sheets of leaves stuck to them, but then I looked more closely at the SS ones XD

treescomparison.png

I concur, they're no better... it really is down to a matter of opinion then, so there's no point me jokingly carrying this on any longer :P
I guess it shows this all really does come down to a matter of opinion in the end (*cough* because they're both awesome and effective styles *cough*)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Uh, I PREFER TP's graphics to the current SS ones, only because I liked the realism that TP brought in its little bundle. I can't really say that TP has better trees or whatever the majority of this thread is arguing about, but that's because I stare at the dungeons and Hyrule Field a lot. I haven't seen SS's Hyrule Field if it even has one, and I haven't seen Skyloft yet, so I can't really say SS is a counter to TP. I voted TP, because as of right now, I think TP has better graphics. Can't wait for final version and dungeons!

I think that I'd like SS's gameplay a lot more, if that means anything.

Rofang

Person
I'm fine with SS's style so far. Gritty realism probably isn't the Wii's strong suit, on top of which abstract art and graphics may even enhance immersion (I once read something of the sort by Scott McCloud, that abstraction lets you imagine yourself as a fictional character more easily).

octorok74

TETTAC
I really like the graphic style SS is going to use. It seems like there is a lot more Nintendo can do with this style, plus it has a lighter tone to it. I did like the way TP looked but it reminded of the dangers around me school.

I am going to assume that you might have noticed that this is causing some debates on the site, although I am not sure if you have access to the shoutbox. I have had several debates with my fellow members about why I think Skyward Sword would have looked much better in Twilight Princess's graphics.

Skyward Sword has been given the Cel-shading form of graphics that we have seen in Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. The graphics used in the 3 aforementioned games are good, it suits Toon Link as he was created specifically for these games, and it worked well. I don't mind the graphics in these 3 games and find it easily tolerable, even if I don't really like them that much. I can definately say that Cel-shading is good looking, and so are the graphics used in Twilight Princess in my eyes.Twilight Princess on the other hand, has used it's combination of graphics and the Link created to produce the greatest Link in terms of appearance in the entire Zelda series in my opinion. When I saw the concept art, I was obviously rather happy to see that they were going to use Twilight Princess's Link...

Unfortunately it wasn't so, and Nintendo decided to near enough splice the Toon Link and Twilight together, producing a Twilight Princess Link in Cel-shading. In my eyes, this attempt has failed to great effect to produce an appeasing Link. I dislike the appearance of Link in Skyward Sword, and that's a real set back to how much I will like the game overall. If were some other character from Twilight Princess to appear it wouldn't really bothered me, but it is Link, someone I will have to look at throughout the entire game. The rest of the game still looks great, although I would still greatly prefer for Skyward Sword to use Twilight Princess's graphics.

Therefore I can safely say, that I believe for Twilight Princess's graphics are superior to Skyward Swords, but only because of the fact they tried to use Twilight Princess's Link and failed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom