• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gossip/Sheikah Stones - What Are They All About?

H

Howl

The stones have been around for a while, but their functions seem to change as the games progress. What opinion does everyone have on this?
Here's a quick overview (as far as I know) of stones through the ages.

Ocarina of Time: Gossip stones say meaningless things that mainly serve to spawn more zelda theory forums.
Majora's Mask: Gossip stones say some meaningless things, but are involved a little bit in sidequests.
The Wind Waker: Tetra inherits a communication stone made by the King of Hyrule to speak with Link. It is said to be the last of the gossip stones of old.
Twilight Princess: Windstones have specially carved holes in them that whistle songs when the wind blows through them.
Phantom Hourglass: Stones give various hints as to where treasures are and things like that.
Spirit Tracks: Some stones play songs for Link to learn on the flute, others leave fairies, give hints, etc.
Ocarina of Time 3d: a few stones give Link hints about what to do in the more unguided parts of his quest.
Skyward Sword: Sheikah stones serve no purpose but to assist Link, except for one that sells rare treasures.
Random: Most stones bear the Sheikah symbol, even in Majora's Mask, where no Sheikah exist. Also, :sword: turn gossip stones into clocks? :bomb: turn gossip stones into rockets?

Are there any explanations to the connections between the stones? Are there any games that include stones that I missed?

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
WW...sorta. Tetra gives you the Pirate's Charm, which is a enchanced version of the gossip stones according to the King of Red Lions.

You forgot to mention that magic arrows and Din's Fire makes them Spin like Michael Jackson.

Well there is one connection thats quite obvious, they share information

Megamannt125

Blue Link
Form of communication between the Sheikah, later adopted by the Royal Family. Hence the name "gossip" stone and only being hearable using the mask of truth (a Sheikah related item)

H

Howl

Form of communication between the Sheikah, later adopted by the Royal Family. Hence the name "gossip" stone and only being hearable using the mask of truth (a Sheikah related item)

I feel very silly. I swear I actually never made that connection... Derp moment for me, but thanks!

I could have sworn the Gossip/Sheikah Stones were explained in one or two games. Hmm...

Anyway, have you ever tried smashing one with the Megaton Hammer? lol

Isn't there a link between the Gossip stones and the 'Trinity of Truth'? Especially where OoT is concerned.

The Three Relics Create a “Trinity of Truth”

The Sheikah tribe, at least Impa, was famous for their grasp of superpower: their ability to “see” through fake walls as noted in the Shadow Temple and the Well, which were created with such power in mind, and their ability to vanish before the eye, as Impa does as she is given missions by Princess Zelda in Ocarina of Time. This magician-like power was transferred from the Sheikah Tribe to these objects, each of which inhabit different facet of these ancient traits. The Triforce itself is a mythological relationship between power, wisdom, and courage, as are these relics, but have a relationship under more “earthly terms”, possibly created to mirror the likeness of the Triforce without godly connotations.

Lens of Truth
The Lens of Truth is, simply, a magnifying glass that can “see” through walls, chests, and even detect ghosts. Its functionality gives the normal user “absolute sight” – he is not only able to see what is real, but can see what is not readily picked up by the normal eye. In fact, the Lens of Truth itself is shaped like the Sheikah mascot: an eye, denoting true sight literally and symbolically. In this Trinity of Truth, the Lens is most akin to the Triforce of Power, which embodies a user with mystical authority and strength of all kinds. For many people, “seeing is believing” and to believe in something is to give it power and strength – the same principle the Lens operates under – Link doesn’t have to blindly “see to believe”, he acts on the Lens, and at that point knows the reality of what is in front of him.

Mask of Truth
The Mask of Truth, as the second relic, is a silver mask engraved with the Sheikah symbol that has the power of telepathy over Gossip Stones in Ocarina of Time. Because of this, the user retains the capacity to take in valuable information and rhetoric from these stones, helping them on their quest, and possibly through everyday tasks their comrades struggle through with more effort than needed. The amassing of this extra, beneficial information through mind control connects the Mask of Truth with the Triforce of Wisdom, which prides the sixth sense as one of its powers.

Stone of Agony
The Stone of Agony is a mythical Kakariko rock that rumbles in reaction to nearby hidden drop-holes, hollow walls, and other secrets across the land of Hyrule. By using this sacred stone, the user can “see” the pitfalls of nature: keeping the user not only alive, but aware of their surroundings, with the Sheikah power of “absolute instinct”. The Stone of Agony lays akin to the Triforce of Courage in the Trinity of Truth due to its gutsy approach to seeking out and destroying the concept of the “leap of faith” and the “blind shot”, making all uncertainties known, and keeping them that way. Where the Triforce of Courage emphasizes protection of its holder, the Stone works in just the same fashion.

Conclusion:The trinity of the Lens of Truth, the Mask of Truth, and the Stone of Agony represent the highest amount of perceptive godliness a common being may achieve while living about Hyrule, considering they were not chosen as an embodiment of the actual Triforce or any of its pieces. The Sheikah symbol itself incorporates three triangular spokes above the eye which I believe symbolizes not only the Triforce fragments, but a manifestation of these three relics by extension, and their powerful influence on Sheikah culture. Using the three relics at once would make the user frankly insusceptible to sabotage, mind control, and secret keeping, a few traits even Triforce holders do not receive; the user would be able to see all different kinds of “truth”. The connection of the three powers are akin to the Triforce in that they all work optimally when separate, but when together, their godly connotations make their earthly constraints appear holy, in the amount and capacity of extra power they give to the common being.

N.B. I got this info from the Zelda Wiki

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom