• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Goldenblade's Zelda Timeline Theory

C

coolperson135

The Sages can't find the MS in LttP's backstory. That fits in pretty well with WW.

Where does it ever say that the sages couldn't find the master sword in LTTP's back story? I just looked at the backstory and it never mentions them not knowing where the master sword is. Even the villagers have a good idea of where the master sword is, as stated by an old woman in Kakariko village:

"What? Master Sword? [...] Long ago, a prosperous people known as the Hylia inhabited this land... Legends tell of many treasures that the Hylia hid throughout the land... The Master Sword, a mighty blade forged against those with evil hearts, is one of them. People say that now it is sleeping deep in the forest..."

What they were actually looking for was a person to wield the sword, not for the sword itself, which is explained in the manual.

"As the Seven Wise Men searched for a valiant person to take up the Master Sword, Ganon's evil army swarmed from the tainted Golden Land into Hyrule and attacked the castle." (A Link to the Past manual, pg. 6)

Last edited by a moderator:

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
"The Sages first had to search for the existence of the Master Sword and a hero to use it."
- Japanese A Link to the Past Manual

C

coolperson135

The sages, along with the villagers, still had a good idea as to the master sword's location. It was in the Lost Woods, which explains why they had trouble finding it (with it being the LOST woods and all). However, That still doesn't explain how the master sword, Ganon, and the triforce all moved from the bottom of the ocean at the end of WW to the lost woods and the sacred realm in LTTP, if LTTP does indeed follow WW. Even if Ganon broke free of is "Sword in the head" underwater prison, we wouldn't bring the master sword with him to the surface. At the end of WW, the only people who know of The master sword and the triforce's location are Link and tetra, who have presumably died by the time ST comes around. Did the sages just assume that the master sword was at the bottom of the ocean and took a dive to go get it? I highly doubt it

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
That still doesn't explain how the master sword, Ganon, and the triforce all moved from the bottom of the ocean at the end of WW to the lost woods and the sacred realm in LTTP, if LTTP does indeed follow WW.
Firstly, we don't even know if the Triforce stays at the bottom of the ocean. It just flies away. But we can assume it's at least somewhere because it's mentioned in ALttP that the Triforce is meant to govern the world. Can't really do that if it's "gone for good".

And no, the quote doesn't explain how everything got to where it is in ALttP. All it says is that the Master Sword was lost, which is why I posted it. It doesn't explain how it's location became common knowledge by ALttP in any case. All we know is that "it just does".

Even if Ganon broke free of is "Sword in the head" underwater prison, we wouldn't bring the master sword with him to the surface. At the end of WW, the only people who know of The master sword and the triforce's location are Link and tetra, who have presumably died by the time ST comes around. Did the sages just assume that the master sword was at the bottom of the ocean and took a dive to go get it? I highly doubt it
They were actively looking for the Master Sword. Why wouldn't they do everything they can to find it?

C

coolperson135

While I agree that the sages would try to do everything within their power to find the sword, the idea of them going to the bottom of ocean at one particular point in the middle of the sea seems too far fetched and improbable, especially without the support of someone such as the king of red lions, who has prior knowledge as to the sword's location. The only reason WW Link even got the master sword was because he was the King of red lions guiding him, who knew of the sword's location in the first place.

A more reasonable explanation is that the sword was in the lost woods and that they had trouble finding it because it was, well, the lost woods. Simply stating that something happens because "It just does" is not a sufficient amount of proof for any argument, Zelda related or not. In fact, It supports the notion of a lack of evidence. You cannot say "it just happens because I say so" without sufficient evidence and expect people to believe you. In any case, there is nothing to support the idea that the sages went to the bottom of the ocean without the support of anyone like the king of red lions to retrieve the master sword.

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
While I agree that the sages would try to do everything within their power to find the sword, the idea of them going to the bottom of ocean at one particular point in the middle of the sea seems too far fetched and improbable, especially without the support of someone such as the king of red lions, who has prior knowledge as to the sword's location. The only reason WW Link even got the master sword was because he was the King of red lions guiding him, who knew of the sword's location in the first place.
What about the Salvage Corps, who are searching for anything and everything?

A more reasonable explanation is that the sword was in the lost woods and that they had trouble finding it because it was, well, the lost woods.
That's what I was getting at. If the Sages couldn't find the Master Sword (and weren't even sure it existed), why does everyone know it's in the Lost Woods by ALttP?

Simply stating that something happens because "It just does" is not a sufficient amount of proof for any argument, Zelda related or not. In fact, It supports the notion of a lack of evidence. You cannot say "it just happens because I say so" without sufficient evidence and expect people to believe you. In any case, there is nothing to support the idea that the sages went to the bottom of the ocean without the support of anyone like the king of red lions to retrieve the master sword.
I didn't mean "it just does because I say so", I meant "it just does because the game says so".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom