• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gerudo Gems: Ornament or Organ?

All Gerudos, including Ganondorf, have big gems in their foreheads and their chests. I have always wandered, are they just decorative cultural gems that they wear, or are they actually parts of their bodies? I have never seen art or sprite of Gerudos without those gems, even Ganon keeps the gems, and they are the weak points of Ganondorf. It's also worth mentioning that even Demise has some white scars where Ganondorf has theses gems. So what you think?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I don't think the gems are weak points the only reason G-dorf died in WW was due to blade stuck in his skull. The scar on Demise i believe relates to the Imprisoned's Spike where it had been in his head.

Djinn

and Tonic
I used to think there was something to WW Ganondorf immediately turning to stone seconds after the gem on his forehead shattering. Which brought back so many more questions on where Gerudo really come from, are they born or made then brought to life through those stones etc. One telling thing is how there are never any children among them. Nearly every tribe has a few variants. You see young Gorons, Zora, Rito, Anouki, nearly everyone you see all age levels of their tribe. But the Gerudo are all around the same age except for Koume and Kotake.

However there are two guards in the training grounds that do not have the gems

GerudoWhite.png
OoT_Gerudo.png

Which throws off the whole Gems are connected to their life theory. Plus TP and HW makes the gem on Ganondorf's head out to be some elaborate crown woven through his hair and not some gem just randomly placed on a forehead. One thing HW brought up is how Ganondorf's jewel will glow brightly before casting a spell, when adding in koume and kotake having gems similarly colored to their elemental abilities then I start to think that the jewels are related to their magic in some way.

I have a theory about the gems that I will explore in my fan-fiction but as a quick thing about it. Could it be a right of passage or possible a rank symbol .The lower ranking Gerudo not having them, the guards having them on their chest, the warriors having white gems on their foreheads, Nabooru having a yellow or orange gem , And lastly Ganondorf having a red gem. Then again it could just be decoration or a reference to the Bindi of the Hindu culture.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I like to think they are a status thing with higher ranking Gerudo being given them. It is possible that they allow Twinrova and Ganondorf to control other Gerudo through these gems when needed so that their will is exerted without question.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
On further though, they do appear to be status symbols, some denote leader some, mage and some master thief (Twinrova, Nabooru and Ganondorf are the most prominent) they could also reflect their lives, in other words denoting allegiance/marriage/partner status, similar to the Hindus.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I see they are present on the Iron knuckles armour when is knocked off on the torso. There is a gerudo gem in the middle of the chest. Gerudo character models can be found inside the armour if you have access to the character models themselves.

I think it is possible that all iron knuckles were Gerudo once who were brainwashed in the way Nabooru was. Of course over time their flesh will mummify (Not represented in the character model, since nobody was supposed to see the actual gerudo women in the armour) but the magic in the gem powers them and keeps them going.

I see they are present on the Iron knuckles armour when is knocked off on the torso. There is a gerudo gem in the middle of the chest. Gerudo character models can be found inside the armour if you have access to the character models themselves.

I think it is possible that all iron knuckles were Gerudo once who were brainwashed in the way Nabooru was. Of course over time their flesh will mummify (Not represented in the character model, since nobody was supposed to see the actual gerudo women in the armour) but the magic in the gem powers them and keeps them going.

Well that's a horrible fate. :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom