• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Genetically Modified Milk is the New Substitute

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
You know that human breast milk is very important for babies’ development. (If you don’t know this, go ostentatiously bottle-feed a baby doll near a farmers market! It will be fun, I promise.) But for various reasons, sometimes new moms can’t breastfeed — they need medication that shows up in breast milk, for instance, or they just don’t produce enough. And this is where genetically engineered goats, uh … butt in.

Animal scientists at the University of California, Davis have figured out how to genetically engineer domesticated mammals to produce some of the enzymes and proteins found in breast milk. This means that infants who couldn’t breastfeed could instead drink goat milk with about 60 percent of the beneficial immune-boosting and just general good-for-you power of mother’s milk.

Read here for more

domestic-goat-wiki.jpg

Isn't that just great, more genetically modified crap that are forced down our throats, this outrage needs to be protested.

Dan

Well perhaps but then again mothers don't have to buy this for their children. If people want to protest it the best way would be not to buy it surely. Although we could always ask the babies how they feel about it but I don't think it will do much good. ;p

Oh and also if you are going to mention some of the article you may as well mention it all, you forgot this part. XD

That’s the good news. The bad news is that the people who tend to be total freaks about breastfeeding also tend to be people who automatically think that anything genetically modified is bad for you. Look for them having shouting matches with themselves at your local health food store.

I don't know... If you ask me, the decision as to whether to buy the genetically modified milk seems entirely optional. I don't have the exact source at the moment, but I believe that alternatives are available. And I am sure that if genetically altered milk becomes widely available that the FDA will be all over it. I wouldn't necessarily say that it is being forced down our throats...

The problem with GMO food is that is has not been shown as safe to consume and may have unpredictable consequences. Many scientists are worried that the genetically altered foods, once consumed, may pass on their mutant genes to bacterium in the digestive system. How these new strains of bacteria may affect our body systems’ balance is anybody’s guess. The few studies done haven't been pretty though. In one study the organs of rats who ate genetically modified potatoes showed signs of chronic wasting, and female rats fed a diet of herbicide-resistant soybeans gave birth to stunted and sterile pups. Not to mention that GMOs require massive amounts of pesticides, herbicides and fungicides.

It's also easy to say "just don't buy it". The problem? In the U.S. GMO food is NOT labeled. Add to the fact it's in just about everything it becomes incredibly hard to sort out the good from the bad. Don't also forget that GMO food effects all other food sources as well. They contaminate existing seeds with their altered material, passing on modified traits to non-target species. This creates a new strain of plant that was never intended in the laboratory. In North Dakota, recent studies show that 80% of wild canola plants tested contained at least one transgene. In Japan, a modified bacteria created a new amino acid not found in nature; it was used in protein drinks and before it was recalled it cause severe mental and metabolic damage to hundreds as well as several deaths. Japan banned GMOs after this horrific experience. Monarch butterflies have also died after their favorite food, milkweed, was cross-pollinated from Bt corn which rendered it toxic to the endangered species.

While that is mostly just plants a lot of those would apply to milk and other diary products no doubt.

The problem with GMO is much larger then you think. Don't be foolish and just brush it off as a simple choice.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Wow, Seth, You really know your stuff on the matter, aren't you the one who quit Mcdonalds and all that?

I could have gotten into detail like you did, but to be honest I haven't researched abut GMO in like a year and just came across this and remembered that I hated GMO.

The freaks who feel everything should be coveted by science all definitely stand for GMO, liberal movements and the like.

People feel their fates should be entrusted to scientists, who makes mistakes like everyone else.

I don't trust my fate to authority.

Organic has always been the safest way. They test their GMO on us like live guinea pigs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom