• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Mafia Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pen

The game is on!
I don't know if this idea has ever been brought up, but how about having a mentor system in place?

New players can ask for a mentor in a designated thread, and experienced players can asked to mentor a newbie.

The mods of Mafia can decide if the to-be-students are eligible (has played less than X amount of games) and if the to-be-mentors are eligible (has played at least X amount of games/Won a mafia award/ect)

They can be added to a list and matched up. The student can join a game. The mentor is not allowed to join said game, or post in it. But they are expected to follow it and know their student's role and give advice or their own suspicions (though, say why and encourage the student to decide if they agree or not). The game mod can provide them with a separate QT to discuss if they want to see the thought process too.

This may encourage new players and can avoid newbies leaving in frustration or going inactive.

I like this idea a lot, and I support it. In a way I feel like it's a little bit similar to what I'm doing with @HeroOfTime at the moment. I'm the co-mod for his upcoming D&D Mafia game. We've been planning a lot together to make the role set-up and I've been helping him out by suggesting certain things and by teaching him about certain roles and mechanics.

If something like this was to be applied to actually playing in a Mafia game too, then I think for sure it could help bring new players here. ^^

Mido

Version 1
I like the idea. Since the beginner's game system started to not fare well in its twilight stages, I think this system could potentially act as a sufficient replacement.

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
I don't know if this idea has ever been brought up, but how about having a mentor system in place?

New players can ask for a mentor in a designated thread, and experienced players can asked to mentor a newbie.

The mods of Mafia can decide if the to-be-students are eligible (has played less than X amount of games) and if the to-be-mentors are eligible (has played at least X amount of games/Won a mafia award/ect)

They can be added to a list and matched up. The student can join a game. The mentor is not allowed to join said game, or post in it. But they are expected to follow it and know their student's role and give advice or their own suspicions (though, say why and encourage the student to decide if they agree or not). The game mod can provide them with a separate QT to discuss if they want to see the thought process too.

This may encourage new players and can avoid newbies leaving in frustration or going inactive.
Are you in need of a mentor Eduarda? I can pm you some tips if you really need them

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
The student can join a game. The mentor is not allowed to join said game, or post in it. But they are expected to follow it and know their student's role and give advice or their own suspicions (though, say why and encourage the student to decide if they agree or not). The game mod can provide them with a separate QT to discuss if they want to see the thought process too.

I like this idea, but I'm afraid of mentors overstepping their boundaries, and giving too much information to the mentee. For example, if the mentee is stuck, I think its wrong for a mentor (who is suspicious of Player X) to tell their mentee to look into Player X. It kind of ruins the idea of the mentor/mentee relationship, and also seems highly unethical. A better way to get around a stuck mentee, with no reads, is to direct them perhaps to a specific day where something large happened, implying they may have missed something, or even asking for their reads on players just to promote conversation and post hypotheticals.
In the same vein, our first batch of mentors should be pretty ethical/trustworthy players, and all game related help and conversations should be posted in a QT so the mod can look at it, and let the mentor know if he/she believes they have overstepped.
It also goes without saying that the mentor should be privy to no before-hand knowledge of the game/setup and have no access to Dead Players QTs, etc.
In between games, mentors and mentees can talk about specific games and good/bad strategies wherever they want.

I think this could work :)
Great post Srish.

Pen

The game is on!
This is unrelated to the game discussion (I'll reply to that later), but I thought that maybe if @Tristan allows, we can unofficially start the mentor idea suggested as it seems to be generally agreed with.

@The Hero of Legend has been reading posts, as evident by his likes, but has barely been posting anything. I'd really like to see more of his input but I know it must be confusing for him so I don't want to pressure him to formulate a response. So I thought, if he's ok with it, we can give him a mentor. HoL, this person would be experienced in Mafia and would guide you along the discussion in a separate area provided by Tristan. They will give you advice and tips and hopefully encourage you to post more.

I was thinking maybe if either @Pendio or @Johnny Sooshi want to, they can take up this role.

Figured I'd avoid ghost posting in the game thread. ^^

But yeah, if this is something that Tristan thinks is a good idea, then I think it would be cool to help out as a Mafia Mentor of sorts. I dare say I know the ways of the game well enough. c:

Sadia

Have a Punderful Day!
You guys, what do you think about a Mafia Member Appreciation thread? :) Essentially a designated thread for appreciation (duh), which people usually end up writing in game threads after a game is over. People can write stuff like "Mod X had a fantastic setup for this game" or "Player X played really cleverly this time" etc. I think it would be sweet. It'd help encourage newer players, and help jog people's memories when voting for the awards rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom