• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

GCC Voting Thread Round 1: Theme Villains

Voting GCC Theme Villains

• Beeker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Illusore

• Destiny

• mandym287

• Markasscop

• Chilfo Freeze

• Rachel

• Raindrop14

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Okay here are the entries of the new GCC: Round 1 - Theme Villains.
No self voting allowed.
Don't give up if you lose. Try it again next time and show us your skills!
The winner will be rewarded with an award appearing below their username.

Okay Next week theme will be Battle!

This can be any battle of any movie, game or series you like. PM your entries to me before 13 July 12.00pm CET

Good luck! This poll will end at the end of the week:

Entry number 1:
Creator: Beeker
ursula.png

Entry number 2:
Creator: Rachel
scar31.png

Entry number 3:
Creator: Illusore
23r1qgi.jpg

Entry number 4:
Creator: Raindrop14
Bleh.png

Entry number 5:
Creator: Markasscop
Porkyentry.png

Entry number 6:
Creator: Destiny
2d7dh7p.png

Entry number 7:
Creator: Mandym287
spatbannerdos.png

Entry number 8:
Creator: Chilfo Freeze
2s8ps87.jpg

Last edited:
Beeker
I feel the way the lighting is done really brings attention to the subject. The overall flow of the C4D you used really goes well with Ursula's tentacles.

Rachel
Your rough edges make your piece unique, though you didn't clean up all of the access noise--which should be pretty easy to do because of the hardness of the brush you were using. I like the font. Wolf's Rain, right? The effects look splendid and they really pull the piece together nicely.

Illusore
The background is simple, but at the same time, intricate. Though I am bothered by the fact that near the top, it looks like you mirrored it early on and brushed some more over it. The render looks pasted on at last minute, and I think you could have implemented into the image slightly more. Though the two fonts you selected compliment each other nicely, which is a big deal to me. ;p

Raindrop14
Honestly, this image is a huge headache to me. I can make out the shadow beast, but instead of setting layer transparency over it with these wispy textures, you should consider changing the blend mode to something such as 'soft light' or 'overlay' to work it into the image more. I see potential here, so I really hope to see an entry from you again next time.

mαrkαsscoρ
It looks like a gradient with a bunch of various images pasted on top. While there are some interesting effects going on, I think the background needs more attention, and the subject(s) need less. There needs to be a balance between them. If you know what I mean.

Destiny
Fonts! Fonts everywhere! I would have never imagined Vivaldi and Occidental (aka University) to work together in the same image, but you somehow pulled it off. Yellow seems to be a hard color to work with, because it can either be epic or just plain annoying. The "epic" is really hard to achieve, but again, you got that mastered, too. I think my only complaint is that whatever blend mode was used for your textures, made the contrast really intense in the upper left corner, and it looks a tad obnoxious.

mandym287
You suck. You should stop making graphics altogether.

Chilfo Freeze
I do love how you made the background dark, to make his face stand out--and the text light to compliment his face. Choosing color schemes can sometimes be difficult, but you did a good job there. The quality of the stock is a bit poor, though. I think you should do something more with it so that it doesn't just look like it was pasted on top of everything else.

--Destiny wins my vote.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
hahahahaha,what have i done :lol:,CURSE YOU INTERNET FOR NOT PROVIDING ME W/ A BETTER CLAY PORKY MODEL IMAGE [yeah,i SHOULD have used the pig king statue]
anyways,i think destiny has it by a longshot

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
mαrkαsscoρ
It looks like a gradient with a bunch of various images pasted on top. While there are some interesting effects going on, I think the background needs more attention, and the subject(s) need less. There needs to be a balance between them. If you know what I mean.
that ain't no gradient,but regardless i see your point

Ganondork

goo
I wasn't that big of a fan of a lot of these works...sorry. My favorites were Destiny and Beeker. I'll have to go with Beeker though.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
1. Destiny

Destiny always delivers beautiful if somewhat predictable artwork. Here she has chosen her favorite subject of the month, Loki, Norse God of Chaos. She starts with a highly detailed, well-chosen side view with the neck turned towards the viewer. This both saves space and reveals more information about the back and arm than your standard frontal shot. She has brought in a yellowed old paper texture that has been a trademark of her work for a while, and it works very well with this subject, given his association with legends and the color of his armor.

She also adds a natural looking lighting effect over his cape and arm that almost look like they were part of the picture to begin with. Only a few faint artifacts betray that the overlay is not natural. They help blend him into the scene and highlight the details of his armor design, without obscuring it in any way.

Also, we see her blend several fonts together in a vertical pattern. "In the end, you will always kneel." This phrase on its own pulls together a remarkable image of how Loki looks at power and respect, and his childhood experiences. The myriad fonts used seem to reflect the disjoined, conflicting nature of his own mind. How he's driven by one part of himself to be this way, and another part to be that way. This results in his behavior being sometimes good, sometimes evil, but always unpredictable. A God of Chaos, indeed.

If anyone understands the value of creativity and innovation, it's Destiny. But through her artwork, she shows us time and again her unspoken philosophy. That the classical ways of doing things, the tried and true methods, actually produce the best results.

9.5/10

2. Mandy

Mandy has been one of my favorite signature artists on ZD for a long time, even back before it was called DGE. She always manages to surprise me with an interesting design or a unique effect, but she sometimes seems prevented from expanding her horizons and fleshing things out by her older machine.

Mandy has chosen a very cute picture of what appears to be a demonic bat of some sort from Hamtaro. The mild blur around it gives it a mystical aura, and adds to the mysterious feeling I get from this character due to not knowing their identity.

I love the randomly faded blue squares on the left side of this image. They evoke thoughts of geometry, file cabinets, security systems, and so many wonderfully ordered, organized systems in an abstract way. You can sense that Mandy has a strong awareness of the beauty in the underlying order of things just from this.

The right side of the image is even more interesting, as the pattern suddenly stops and you just see the dust from the broken letter B descending into the abyss, as if there were some kind of void in her soul caused by the very heartbreak she describes.

Naturally, the contrast between fonts is interesting and meaningful as you would expect from Mandy, and highlights a dimension that's clear from the rest of the image. The left side, with its simple, bold, sans-serif font, seems quite orderly and simple, with a methodical concept behind it. The right side seems to have disruptions within the order itself that give rise to creative thought. Two fonts are used on the same word, with different shades and parts of them breaking down in analysis. It evokes thoughts of the left brain/right brain dichotomy that's present in all of us, and Mandy has illustrated the feelings that can come about when those two are in discommunication.

The only flaws in this piece are that it is a bit too small, and the central character takes up a large portion of the image. This does not leave enough room for the ideas expressed on either side to be fleshed out to their fullest potential. This work is excellent and has a beautiful foundation, but it feels like it could have been taken further.

8/10

3. Rachel

I don't know Rachel at all, but I really like her entry. Scar is one of my favorite Disney villains, and one of the first strong impressions I remember from my own childhood. Anyway, when depicting Scar with the appropriate emotional tone, your goal is to create an angry, chaotic, bloody feeling. Rachel has achieved this. I can tell that she is thinking outside the box here. The edges of the image itself are frayed and jagged at random, as if it had been torn from a larger sheet of paper.

The broad, black brush strokes at the top create a smoky feeling, while the thinner fabric woven of red lines near the bottom evokes fire without actually drawing it. The scratchy font in red definitely evokes the anger and cruelty of which Scar is capable, even evoking the word and cause of a scar itself.

However, there are things which detract from the enjoyment of this image. Many of the effects used obscure much of the underlying detail in the picture, making it more difficult to appreciate the original art of the Disney animators. The words in the picture should have been in a darker shade of red, perhaps maroon, both to help them stand out from the background, and to evoke the idea of a dried scar rather than a fresh wound.

But overall, this picture captures perfectly my emotional state when I watched the Lion King at age 7, and helps me recapture that impression of how Scar felt so menacing and cold at the time.

7/10

4. Beeker

The use of green creates a gloomy, sickly atmosphere appropriate to the piece. The font used on Ursula's name also contributes to the old, haunted atmosphere. However, the font is a bit small, and the background is a bit too dark to make out details against it.

6/10

5. Markasscop

I feel like a LOT of effort went into this, but I'm not quite sure it worked out the way he wanted it to. The solid purple background is somewhat simplistic and jarring, but let's leave that alone for a moment and look at what's actually there.

Porky or Pokey Minch, is a villain from the Earthbound series. As such, he resembles a childish version of a mad scientist.

In the center is a nice, 3D image of Master Pokey himself, which is an excellent placement choice. It has a strange red glow which seems a little out of place, but it does fit with the neon theme which this image seems to be going for.

There was an attempt to contrast with the centerpiece in an interesting manner via giving the text a blue glow with red in the middle (which is opposite from the red glow with blue in the middle in the main image), but it doesn't work because everything in the image competes for your attention and contrasts with everything else.

I like the way that there's a small 2D sprite of Pokey right above his name, it's a nice little touch.

All of these images of Pokey in the background would be nice little touches on their own, actually. But when put together like this, it makes the image seem far too busy and jarring. You can't decide what to focus on. All of the images themselves are rather high quality in my opinion, however, and I would be interested in seeing what comes from Mark in the future.

5/10

6. Illusore

The fractal-based background image here is nice and has a lot of potential. The fonts used and the word Ghirahim are well-presented and the color matches his own. However, that is unfortunately where my praise stops and my criticism begins.

First, Ghirahim is not blended into the background well at all, nor can he be. The contrast is simply too great. Also, there is a lot of unused empty space in the image that could have been filled by a quote or something. Also, with this much unused canvas, it feels like it might have worked better with Ghirahim in the center rather than the text. You are left with the feeling that something important is missing from this work.

4/10

7. Chilo Freeze

This image is rather entertaining for some reason. It's just fun. While it's not a masterpiece by any means, it does manage to convey an idea. The random, blurry purple shapes in the background make me think of an old comedy or talk show from the 1970s or 60s, around the time the original Batman came out. It also more accurately captures that neon effect I think Mark was going for.

The Joker's name here is presented in a clearly neon-friendly white font, also making me think of a comedy set.

The mental image I get is of the Joker being a failed comedian who went insane because no one watched his show or liked his jokes. While this is completely inaccurate and has nothing to do with Batman, I feel like the idea of it is somewhat entertaining.

But overall, the image itself seems like the character was just pasted in over a background, and some nice text was added. It gets credit for being funny, however.

3/10

8. Raindrop14

There really isn't much to say here. All I see is that someone took an average image of a Twilight Creature, applied a broken glass effect to it in some program like GIMP or Photoshop, and called it a day. No text, no underlying idea, nothing. I don't really think that deserves any credit at all.

0/10

Last edited:

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
7. Chilo Freeze
But overall, the image itself seems like the character was just pasted in over a background, and some nice text was added.

Alright, I ain't gonna lie; that's basically what I did. :P I just got photoshop, and I took a tutorial class in high school, and that's about it! So hopefully I will get better over time. ;)

Congrats to everyone else! They all really do look terrific! I do have to say; Destiny takes the cake on this one. It looks quite stunning!

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
8. Raindrop14

All I see is that someone took an average image of a Twilight Creature, applied a broken glass effect to it in some program like GIMP or Photoshop, and called it a day. No text, no underlying idea, nothing.

That's basically what I did. :bleh: I should have done something way better, but I just wasn't in the mood I guess. I'll try to do better next time. ^^

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
All of these images of Pokey in the background would be nice little touches on their own, actually. But when put together like this, it makes the image seem far too busy and jarring. You can't decide what to focus on. All of the images themselves are rather high quality in my opinion, however, and I would be interested in seeing what comes from Mark in the future.

yes,because having absolutely no votes out of 25 is a great inspiration for me to want to create more of these

p.s.*Porky,pokey was a mistranslation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom