• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gate to the Sacred Realm?

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
When Link (Hero of Time) draws the sword for the first time in OoT, we see a cutscene of Ganondorf thanking him for opening the way to the Sacred Realm. The Master Sword is clearly a key to the SR.
But if this is so, howcome in future games when the sword is drawn the Sacred Realm isn't opened again?
Or, howcome the Link that draws the sword doesn't have to wait in the Sacred Realm for -- years until they are old enough to use it?

According to Hyrule Historia, the sword is returned to the pedestal of time in both the adult and child timeline so it's not like the reason could be a different pedestal (unless they moved the sword, but even then i dont understand how someone could move it to a new pedestal without opening the sacred realm)

Idk just a bit confused

The Master Sword did not open the Sacred Realm. The door of time opens the sacred realm. Ganondorf planned to open the door of time himself, without help. The Master Sword can't be touched by evil thus Ganondorf wouldn't have been able to open the Sacred Realm with his own power.

Also none of the other Links have to sleep for 7 years because each of them proven themselves worthy to wield the Master Sword before drawing it.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Alright, but hypothetically if someone wanted to enter the sacred realm when one of the links draws the sword, would they be able to?

geek4887

The Unknown
Not necessarily. The Master Sword isn't really a key to the Sacred Realm. There're many gates into the Sacred Realm. If you've played A Link to the Past, many ordinary people (citizens, thieves, etc.), were able to enter the Sacred Realm through a portal near Death Mountain. :right:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The Historia states that the MS sealed the SR.
The Sage of Light, Rauru, constructed the Temple of Time around the only entrance to the Sacred Realm which housed the Triforce. The Sacred Realm was sealed with the Master Sword, along with the ability to pass through time. The Master Sword’s pedestal was closed off behind the Door of Time and three sacred stones acted as keys, which were guarded by the trusted people of the forest, the people of water, and the people of fire.
However, the relevant text places more focus on the sacred stones and the OoT as keys to the DoT.
Ganondorf's target was one of
the keys to the Sacred Realm...the
hidden treasure of the Royal
Family...The Ocarina of Time!

Geh heh heh! Excellent work!
As I thought, you held the keys
to the Door of Time!
You have led me to the gates of
the Sacred Realm...
Yes, I owe it all to you, kid!
Ganondorf passes through the DoT and is led to the "gates" of the SR (meaning the DoT itself isn't the gates). The gate would then be the thing that the MS sealed and is a key to.

OT: The SR could very well be left unsealed when the MS is drawn. The entrance is still hidden, so it might not get attention.
The reason no other Link is put to sleep is because they don't have to fulfill the prophecy of the Hero of Time.

I think it was left unsealed after Link pulled the MS out. However, in the Adult timeline after you defeat Ganon the Sages reseal the SR with him in it. This time the MS isn't used a "key" to seal the SR and later in WW its used to seal Hyrule and Ganon's magic. In the Child Timeline the MS is never removed so the seal remains on the SR as far as we know. it may have worn off (as seals seem to often do in LOZ games). But as ToT is in ruins, it would seem a lot of people forgot about it and possibly the SR as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom