• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tears of the Kingdom Ganondorf Question

Is Ganondorf in TOTK supposed to be the same as Calamity Ganon in BOTW? Or connected to him? Just a little confused here

There are several direct references to the Calamity in Totk. Calamity Ganon was most likely just the embodiment of the sealed Ganondorf's malice and hatred, made incarnate. Think of it as a more severe Phantom Ganon.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
There are several direct references to the Calamity in Totk. Calamity Ganon was most likely just the embodiment of the sealed Ganondorf's malice and hatred, made incarnate. Think of it as a more severe Phantom Ganon.
Is this implied or confirmed in game or is this an interpretation of yours

The exact nature of Calamity Ganon is an interpretation. However it is directly stated in the game (character profiles) that the reason Ganondorf began to escape his seal proper, was due to the damage done to Hyrule Castle during the calamity 100 years ago. I do not see any need to separate the two. Not to mention that Calamity Ganon appeared from beneath Hyrule castle (stated in Botw) and is kind of ghost like. Almost like the vengeful spirit of the ancient demon king, seeking rebirth and destruction. Thematically I think that works.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
The exact nature of Calamity Ganon is an interpretation. However it is directly stated in the game (character profiles) that the reason Ganondorf began to escape his seal proper, was due to the damage done to Hyrule Castle during the calamity 100 years ago. I do not see any need to separate the two. Not to mention that Calamity Ganon appeared from beneath Hyrule castle (stated in Botw) and is kind of ghost like. Almost like the vengeful spirit of the ancient demon king, seeking rebirth and destruction. Thematically I think that works.
Guess I should go check out the character profiles then

Why does Nintendo think it's okay to just text dump the lore
First they jam it in journals now this nonsense

Guess I should go check out the character profiles then

Why does Nintendo think it's okay to just text dump the lore
First they jam it in journals now this nonsense
Yeah there's a lot of lore just hidden in the world. I guess it's kinda cool? However it's also problematic in a game as big as Totk. I seem to remember even more examples of lore but I just can't recall where I saw them. Never anything super groundbreaking, but they definitely didn't drop or contradict the story in Botw (outside of being strangely selective about what NPCs remember you).

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Impa confirms this when you chat with her in her home after you finish the Dragon Tears main quest.

a bit annoying though that it takes that long for a character to address it
Different folks, different strokes. I really wasn't bothered by any of it. I love theorizing and reading between the lines, I feel like it makes stories and worlds more interesting since I have to engage with it more actively, rather than just being spoon-fed everything. However I am a big Souls fan so that kind of storytelling, where you have to hunt it down yourself, does appeal to me. I liked the confirmation mostly because I got to feel like "oh cool I figured it out".

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Where is Impa? I went to her home (the chief's house) and she wasn't there? I know Paya is now the chief. Did Impa move?
the way I found her was going back to the forgotten temple in the room w/ the map on all the nazca lines geoglyphs, talk to her and she says she'll head back to kakariko
I did it after getting all the memories so not sure if that's required

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom