• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda Gannon or Ganon

a matter of opinion. do you call ganondorf gannon or ganon?

• gannon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ganon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It is Ganondorf and not Gannondorf. Yes there are indeed people who call him Gannon but it is really a misstake in spelling. Personally I don't really bother when people call him Ganon or Gannon but when it comes to spelling it is absolutely Ganondorf

Last edited:
It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. And in response to the poll question, I call Ganondorf, Ganondorf, not Ganon or Gannon. :P

http://www.gannon-banned.com/#gannon

That will tell you why it's Ganon and not Gannon to. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo even stated that it was a mistranslation, I believe that's because Japanese is one of the hardest languages to translate to English.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Well, way back in the day when fax machines didn't exist yet, they had to use things like snail mail and then have a guy translate it as best as he/she could at NoA. Apparently, in this case, they seemed to misspell Ganon. It has been confirmed by just about every other game (and the fact they spelled Miyamoto wrong) that the true word is Ganon, and it was human error that brought it to that.

Plus, remember, NES games didn't have the greatest grammar as well, but that could possibly be explained by the low resolution.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I don't think it really matters, the one with two 'n's looks like a typo anyway.

It's not as though the Zelda series is without clear typos, Onox -> Knox anyone?

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
@Poe: And Onox is a misspelled version of Onyx; a relatively hard, black mineral, referencing his attributes as a strong, evil guy.

I don't have much to add. Ganon was called Gannon once and anyone who clings to that is just being ignorant or wants to screw around.

It was only misspelled in the intro of the NES cart of the original LOZ. I believe it appeared once more in the game and was spelled correctly. It was also corrected in Zelda II as well as the VC version of LOZ, which also corrected all grammar errors.

T

Trademarked

I call him Ganon. Gannon was only the name of him in the original 8-bit game.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Ganon is canon, and Gannon is not. Call him Gannon, and you'll be shot from a cannon. :)

That's a poem to help you remember.

I'm pretty confident that 8+ games and a revision of the original don't have his name wrong. Call him Ganon, Ganondorf, the Prince of Darkness, the King of Evil, Ganon of the Enchanted Thieves, Ganondorf Dragmire, or even Mandrag Ganon. But for the love of Nayru, please don't call him Gannon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom