• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gaming for Charity

I've been playing Skyward Sword while posting live updates to my blog to try and beat it as quickly as I can in honor of its anniversary and it occurred to me that something like this could be done for charity. I searched the forums and I haven't seen any other posts about DGN gaming for charity. I would like to find and go through the proper channels to make that happen. We could vote on a charity to donate money to, find sponsors, and organize events to raise money by playing the games we love. I'd LOVE to raise money for a good cause by doing something I do anyway and there are always people who want to give to charities. I have marketing experience and strong people skills and I'm very confident I could find donors. Any thoughts?

Zelda Eternity has an annual Zelda Marathon that I believe they do for charity (I know they did this year, though I can't remember what the charity was called). You could offer to help out with that, I suppose. You could also try to organise a similar event for ZD (I'd be willing to help out, if you like:)).

If I'm correct, the money for the annual Zelda stream as well as smaller events hosted by affiliates like Zeldathon goes to charity. It'd certainly be an interesting idea to allow members to get involved in this as well.

Personally, I've always been fond of charity. It certainly doesn't provide the same benefits as social welfare and entitlement programs but donating money is a good deed nonetheless. My only word of advice is that you research a charity before furnishing it with funds. Not all are as honorable as they maintain in their mission statement. One choice which is always a go-to if you're dry of ideas is the Salvation Army. If I remember correctly, their CEO even declined his pension. Don't quote me on that however.

Thanks! There's always room to do more. Restore the Shore is an awesome charity for Irene Relief. We could even play for charities we pick individually. First, I think we should get some people together who'd want to participate, form a committee and then brainstorm for a cool international competition that would catch attention. After that, work on the specifics and present it to the higher-ups so we can have the ZD name attached to the event. This will be really fun! Challenging to put together, but fun... and rewarding! :)

The livestream Zelda Dungeon did over the summer where we (well, not me specifically; I wasn't there) played every game in the series was for charity. :)

I don't think the livestream things need to be for charity and I guess I think it might be a little overdone because I see it all the time. But I have no real issue with it. It's for a good cause in general and has noble intentions. As I said, I see it all the time so I don't think there's any need for another one, but hey, if you want to get involved, more power to you. I intend to donate a lot somewhere down the line... you know when I actually make money.

Personally, I've always been fond of charity. It certainly doesn't provide the same benefits as social welfare and entitlement programs but donating money is a good deed nonetheless. My only word of advice is that you research a charity before furnishing it with funds. Not all are as honorable as they maintain in their mission statement. One choice which is always a go-to if you're dry of ideas is the Salvation Army. If I remember correctly, their CEO even declined his pension. Don't quote me on that however.
I think charity is leagues more noble than welfare, but that's a discussion for another day lol. Anyway, I definitely think it's good to stress that you need to do research on the charities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom