• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games you loved that aged poorly

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Nostalgia is a pretty strong feeling. Most of you have heard the phrase "this game is only liked because of nostalgia" on games that were once held in high regard but have since become outdated. So let's try to see this from an unbiased perspective.
My main example for this would be Grand Theft Auto Vice City. I should probably rename this to Nostalgia City because I absolutely adore this game. One of my favorite games growing up as a kid and still my favorite GTA game for that reason. But as much as I hate to admit it, it's really shown it's age. I had to come to terms with this when my friend tried to play it and kept pointing out all the things wrong with it [controls, animation, graphics, camera, etc.]. As ticked off as I was kinda getting by all his comments, he wasn't wrong. It's pretty hard to get into this game if you played anything from San Andreas onwards. And it's b/c of the age of the game that I was a bit reluctant to recommend this game to another friend who'd never play GTA before [though I did it anyway b/c bite me]
I should also toss in Sonic Adventure; I replayed the game about a year ago and....sweet jesus was time cruel.

Which games did you really like back in the day has time not treated very kindly?

Carmageddon
Loved it back in the day. It aged really poorly though. So much so that I'd not want to play it again. A shame as it was a good gamr.

Ocarina Of Time
The best back in the day. But I played it recently and age did not treat it well. Sure the game plays well, thanks to Navi targeting (a revolutionary concept back in the day), but it just looks old and dated. The whoel game does not look pretty anymore. It still plays very well but it's not my go to Zelda game anymore.

Commander Keen 1-3
4-6 and Keen Dreams are still relatively good to play. But 1-3 are just a victim of the early DOS era. They really look antiquated now. Not worth playing anymore.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Twilight princess. The Wii version looks terrible these days on a 50 inch screen compared to the HD I am accustomed to. Its very hazy, and not a good looking game anymore. It really needed the HD makeover.

Most PS1 games. Off the top of my head I can think of these which were great at the time:
  • Siphon Filter 1-3
  • Ace Combat
  • Duke Nukem A Time to Kill
  • Grand Theft Auto 1-2
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy (load times)
  • Jet Moto 1-2
  • Soviet Strike / Nuclear Strike
  • Tekken 1, and 2
  • Need for Speed 1-3
  • Warhawk
Though I think a bunch of PS games from that area hold up pretty well. Some people disagree but I can still go back and enjoy these games just as much.
  • FF7-FF9
  • Tenchu 1-2
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Resident Evil 1-3
  • Twisted Metal 2
  • Tekken 3
  • Road Rash
  • Bushido Blade
  • Doom
  • Return Fire
  • Duke Nukem

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
When I think of games that did not age well, I immediately think of Metroid Prime (GCN). The controls did not age well at all. Nothing wrong with the music or the visuals, but after playing it on Wii, you can tell that game was just not meant to be played with that configuration.

Also, Castlevania pre-Super Castlevania IV. Not being able to whip in 8 directions is stupid. The bad part is they went back to that terrible configuration in the future as well.

Lastly, Super Mario Kart. Love that game, but the controls are floaty, the computer is cheap, and it just isn't as good as I remember it being. The jump in that series from SNES to N64 was incredible.

Reactions: MW7
Age of Empires 1 comes to mind. I vastly prefer that game's period (Stone Age to Iron Age) to that of it's successor, but having played the latter, I just can't go back to the first game's inferior mechanics.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Both Sonic Adventure games. I think the only people who enjoy those games now are the people who played them as a kid because of nostalgia.

Browen

xXThatReallyEmoNameXx
Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater or mgs3. Both the original and the 3d remake have a special place in my heart. They're my favorite shooter and I more often then not hate shooters. They had the perfect combination of story, character development, edginess, and game-play. Now whenever I look it up the latest things I see on it is from 2012 for the 3d remake which is heart breaking because I put 200 some hours into a 15 hour game. I was very hyped to see where the game would lead but if ****ing ended.

Dan

Nostalgia is a pretty strong feeling. Most of you have heard the phrase "this game is only liked because of nostalgia" on games that were once held in high regard but have since become outdated. So let's try to see this from an unbiased perspective.
My main example for this would be Grand Theft Auto Vice City. I should probably rename this to Nostalgia City because I absolutely adore this game. One of my favorite games growing up as a kid and still my favorite GTA game for that reason. But as much as I hate to admit it, it's really shown it's age. I had to come to terms with this when my friend tried to play it and kept pointing out all the things wrong with it [controls, animation, graphics, camera, etc.]. As ticked off as I was kinda getting by all his comments, he wasn't wrong. It's pretty hard to get into this game if you played anything from San Andreas onwards. And it's b/c of the age of the game that I was a bit reluctant to recommend this game to another friend who'd never play GTA before [though I did it anyway b/c bite me]
I should also toss in Sonic Adventure; I replayed the game about a year ago and....sweet jesus was time cruel.

Which games did you really like back in the day has time not treated very kindly?

Awww I know exactly what you mean. I remember the first time I was introduced to the Grand Theft Auto series. It was through Vice City. That game was amazing for its time though, the huge open map, all the cars and interactivity, it was mind-blowing for its time and there were barely any sandbox games in that period of time. Fast forward to 2016 and there's now multitudes of sandbox games that beat Vice City in nearly all its aspects. I found it very sad venturing back to Vice City as I no longer saw it as a cutting edge master piece but now quite a primitive piece of history. I started noticing the games limitations for the first time too; you can see the cars instantly vanish once they get to a certain point. All those newspapers on the floor are always within a certain radios of you, no matter where you go they are always flapping around.

Saying all that I can still play Grand Theft Auto III as I love the style of that game. I always preferred the Gothic Liberty City over Sunny Vice City. III also has more glitches and a general mysterious nature about it. Getting to places you shouldn't go like the area that's only reserved for the first intro cutscene of the game etc. I found the setting of Liberty City so compelling, which is why I can look past the primitive elements the early 3D GTA games hold.
I've yet to go back San Andreas but I'm sure I would enjoy that title too. It's just Vice City I'm not that fussed about any more.

Both Sonic Adventure games. I think the only people who enjoy those games now are the people who played them as a kid because of nostalgia.

I really wanted that game when it first came out. I remember seeing all the ads for it at the time. Sadly I didn't have a Dreamcast. Years later I played it for the first time and yeah it was pretty meh. Admittedly I didn't get too far as the exploration elements bored me quite a bit. I'm sure at the time the freedom to move around and explore such vast areas was enough to captivate the general audience but nowadays it feels more like a chore. The controls are flaky too!

MW7

Lastly, Super Mario Kart. Love that game, but the controls are floaty, the computer is cheap, and it just isn't as good as I remember it being. The jump in that series from SNES to N64 was incredible.
I could not agree with that more. The SNES game has such a crazy learning curve compared to the other games in the series, and I find myself being cheated by the AI fairly often. I can pick up and play any other game in the series without much complaint. The SNES game is just unbearable to me now.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
have any of ya'll tried playing rayman 2 lately? people revere this game so much that they straight just forget about rayman 3 but geez, that game feels so stiff you can tell these dudes were still trying to figure out 3d

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Carmageddon
Loved it back in the day. It aged really poorly though. So much so that I'd not want to play it again. A shame as it was a good gamr.

Ocarina Of Time
The best back in the day. But I played it recently and age did not treat it well. Sure the game plays well, thanks to Navi targeting (a revolutionary concept back in the day), but it just looks old and dated. The whoel game does not look pretty anymore. It still plays very well but it's not my go to Zelda game anymore.

Commander Keen 1-3
4-6 and Keen Dreams are still relatively good to play. But 1-3 are just a victim of the early DOS era. They really look antiquated now. Not worth playing anymore.
Graphics wise I think OoT aged, but as you pointed out it is still "there" everywhere else, and graphics aren't a huge part of the age issue

I love SM64 but man are the controls jank. Can barely play nowadays

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom