• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games That Your Opinion Changed About Over Time

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Tastes can change as we grow and mature, consequently, things we used to enjoy may not be interesting anymore. On the flipside, maybe there were things we didn't understand and took for granted in our inexperience, but now we appreciate. Let's apply this to video games, what are some good video games we took for granted, and bad ones that we liked? I'll start with sharing one that I enjoyed as a child, but doesn't hold up in retrospect.

Donkey Kong 64 is a game that I loved when I was a kid, but when I tried replaying it now that I'm an adult, I disliked it. There is just too much to collect in that game, and collecting certain things is made to be a chore. I felt like there was an opportunity to make King K.rool a very intimidating villian, but the conclusion of the game ruins that potrayal. I guess it was much easier to overlook the game's flaw when I was a kid, when I replayed it I found that it isn't a game that I'd find myself replaying again and again. While I still have nostalgia about it, and there are things it did well, the game doesn't hold up to be honest.

What are some video games you used to like but have a changed opinion on? What are some that you didn't care for but grew to enjoy? Share your thoughts!

My opinions on things don't change all that much or very often, if I didn't like something the first time I probably won't like it now and vice versa, I can't think of a time when that hasn't been true.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
I don't usually actually change how I feel about a game, it's just that they keep getting overshadowed by better games. My first favorite game was Lego Star Wars, but I was like 5 years old. Now, my favorite game is Ocarina of Time, not because Lego Star Wars is a bad game, but because Ocarina of Time is even better (and it has remained my favorite game for almost 5 years now).

There are some games that I used to like that have been ruined. I used to play a game called Wizard101 a lot about 7 years ago, but the developers have since added stupid updates that destroy the game's balance, and it has also lost a lot of players, but I still go back to it once in a while. And then there are games that get so much hype and attention that I get sick of hearing about them. Some games are ruined by obnoxious fanbases/developers, and some games really are good up until one frustrating part.

Mido

Version 1
Rad thread, friend!

In terms of replaying games, Skyrim is probably the most notable title towards which my opinion changed. When I first played it back in 2011, I cannot say that I cared for it all that much when compared to its predecessor (at least from my perspective). I found the overall questlines undercooked in many respects with a few notable exceptions and I did not get into the world as much as I did with the fourth title. Upon replaying it in 2018 (a purchase I probably should have thrown towards DOOM in hindsight), I definitely enjoyed it a bit more, with my opinions changing in both directions such as having less of an appreciation for the Companions questline and greater appreciations towards the Thieves Guild, Main Quest, and especially the Dark Brotherhood (I never cared for the College of Winterhold, unfortunately).

Gears of War: Judgment is another one, although I did not replay this one. Instead it was more of a reflective exercise. The game itself is as good as any other Gears of War title in terms of what it delivers on some levels. It has a decent campaign (with the Declassified Missions adding a neat optional challenge to the experience), a strong weapon variety, good multiplayer maps, and a fun new mode in Overrun. Unfortunately, the game also made a ton of unnecessary changes to the series formula such as players only being able to hold two weapons akin to more conventional shooters as opposed to the d-pad accessible four. This made the controls something to get used to for series veterans. The Locusts were also cut out of multiplayer as character choices save for one mode, which was another unfortunate change. The game's DLC also failed to impress, especially comparied to Gears of War 3; and as someone who made the unfortunate decision of buying the game's season pass, I wasn't too happy about all of this. In retrospect, the game is far from bad and is ultimately rather decent, but when I think about the changes it made, I understand why the game upset me as it did back in 2013.

Who knows, perhaps I'll end up replaying Sonic Adventure one day and not enjoy it-and I'll stop right there!

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Zelda has done this for me a looooooott.

SS feels slightly worse for me now. At the release, it was magical for me.
MM has actually decreased significantly for me. I just notice more and more flaws as the years go by.
TP just becomes better and better for me. It wasn't even in my top 10 like when it came out, now it's my 2nd favorite game ever, having played it on Dolphin.
OoT just ages like fine wine.

LoZ has become worse over time, while AlttP and LA has become better for me.

Curious to see how BotW will feel like in three years. As of now, it's ever as bit as masterful as it was during it's release in 2017.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom