• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games or Books to Movie and Vice Versa

zeldusfanaticus

im the puppet master
do you think that things like these are well done?

what are some of your opinions on movies that are based on books or video games?

some that are being produced now

Halo
Prince of Persia
The Hobbit

im sure there are gonna be more in the near future

I don't think I've ever really seen a a movie that's ever been as good as the game or the book. Most suck. And that's the reputation they have.

=D

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
Like Josh said, most game based movies suck. Terribly. Apparently Tomb Raider was a good movie, but I haven't seen it, so I can't give my opinion on it.

Anywho, there are plenty of good movie based books. Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, and many more. I can't wait to see The Hobbit when it comes out. I'll probably go with a bunch of my LotR geek friends to see it. :p

Movie based games are usually okay, but I have yet to play a really good one. Some of the Lord of the Rings games are good, but still, nothing amazing.

kpllk

The future pro yoyoer
I don't think I've ever really seen a a movie that's ever been as good as the game or the book. Most suck. And that's the reputation they have.

=D

That is pretty much what I was going to say. Movies that are based on books or games never turn out well. There are a few that turn out good, but not many.

I don't think I've ever heard of or seen a good game-based-movie. I'm sure it's possible, I just haven't seen any.

Book-based movies can be quite good, though. Such as Hylian Hobbit mentioned, The Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, etc.

Books are usually always better, therefore they hold more detail, especially when there is internal monologue involved. The author can add a very unique style to this, as well as other descriptions and aspects.

Linkmaster

Die Hard Zelda Fan
Books are usually always better, therefore they hold more detail, especially when there is internal monologue involved. The author can add a very unique style to this, as well as other descriptions and aspects.

That is why I prefer the books. I will watch a movie, think "wait, WHAT?" go back read the book, and think the movie makers were on crack. nuff' said.

Yeah, most movie adaptations of games or books generally fail pretty badly. LotR was the best I've seen, but the books are better. There's just so much that can be described/expressed with written words that you can't bring into movies.

As for turning a video-game into a movie, well, most video games wouldn't work out too well like that. I mean, video games are mostly made for gameplay, and their stories wouldn't fit for a film.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
Some books can actually turn up really good as movies, an example would be the shining (the one with J N of course). But in general I prefer books (although I like movies too)!

zeldusfanaticus

im the puppet master
sub-thread: worst adaptation

there is one book to movie that i believe were the closest to failure as possible was Eragon. the movie left out over half the story, most of which was essential to the sequel. they screwed up locations, and just destroyed the story in general

El Bagu, anything with jack nicholson is great, like "one flew over the cuckoo's nest"

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
Most movies which are based on books are ok. Like the lord of the rings and harry potter movies. But movies based on games are horrible. I guess the lack of story in the games itself is enough for a 30 minute movie, but directors somehow manage to lenghten up the story with boringness until the movie is 90 minutes or longer.

And I'll never buy games based of movies. they are horrible and a waist of money. Game designers only get 2 months or less to create a movie-based game. Since most of the people who buy these games are little kids, game designers don't even try to make something good. In the end 98% of all the movie based games have horrible controllers, bad level design and are mostly mini game collections or boring platform games.

Like Josh said, most game based movies suck. Terribly. Apparently Tomb Raider was a good movie, but I haven't seen it, so I can't give my opinion on it.

Anywho, there are plenty of good movie based books. Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, and many more. I can't wait to see The Hobbit when it comes out. I'll probably go with a bunch of my LotR geek friends to see it. :p

Movie based games are usually okay, but I have yet to play a really good one. Some of the Lord of the Rings games are good, but still, nothing amazing.

I'll go!

WEll I loved the LOTR movies. Harry potter was ok, they left out a lot. Narnis was good. But I absolutly hated Eragon movie. they butchered it.

Don't get me started on the Eragon movie -.-. It was the worst book to movie adaptation in the history of movies. Terrible terrible terrible. The Harry Potter movies aren't very good either. Not as bad, but not a whole lot better. Lord of the Rings is the only one that I know of that was actually good.

I am praying that Inkheart will be good. I have a sense that it will be because it is made by New Line (made LOTR) and Brendan Frasier looks exactly how I imagined Mo to look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom