• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gameplay mechanics as story points

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
In the Ocarina of Time Ganon(dorf) fight, there's the whole thing with Navi not being able to target, then she can. I really liked how they made a simple little gameplay mechanic a story point, it really improved on what little character Navi had. What are some of your favorite examples of a gameplay mechanic playing well into the story? Or maybe tell of a botched attempt at it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
in MGS3, when Snake gets his right eye shot off, part of the screen is very slightly blurred a bit to where you might notice it but it doesn't get in the way of gameplay, and supposedly in the 3ds version, the 3d affect is disabled or something after that point, I need to play it again to see myself

in FFVI after Kefka freaking breaks the planet, all the creatures you fight when you play as Celes in the time skip afterwards are super weak and just take damage on their own

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
Narrative improving gameplay is just good design in general
one of the simplest examples of it (and part of why a link to the past is such a great game) is introducing new enemies as you get stronger. The Dark World has new enemies in it because it's a tougher, more cutthroat world. If they just recycled the enemies from the Light World and made them stronger it would just screw with people temporarily (@ Dark Souls cough cough)

Narrative improving gameplay is just good design in general
I agree 100%.
It gives an in game story reason for all of the happenings in the game. Things don't just happen because, they happen for a reason.
A good example of this is Persona 5 / Royal. Unlike previous Persona games, 5 gives everything a reason for happening. Even simple things like shados getting stronger and Joker getting a bigger stash size for his personas and so much more all have in game reasons for happening.

one of the simplest examples of it (and part of why a link to the past is such a great game) is introducing new enemies as you get stronger. The Dark World has new enemies in it because it's a tougher, more cutthroat world.
That's a more fleshed out idea based on the Zelda 1 idea. In Zelda 1 the dungeons, did introduce different enemies in later dungeons. Not all of them were just harder reskins. Then in level 9 you have new enemies again specific to Level 9. Zelda 2 mostly stuck to this script by adding in a few new enemies in each palace and Palace 7 was an entirely new set of enemies that were harder to beat.

As an aside, Zelda 1's master quest did have a few new enemies in it but it also added in new gameplay mechanics to make the game harder too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom