• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Future 3DS Zelda Titles

This is bugging me so i figured i'd get everyone's thoughts and opinions.

I'm a fan of the 2D Zelda titles; A Link to the Past, Minish Cap,Link's Awakening etc, but prefer the 3D/Home console titles; Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess etc.

With Ocarina of Time released in the form of a glorious update and Majora's Mask hopefully on its way on 3DS... Would anyone feel disappointed if a 2D Zelda appeared on the console next?

Shigeru Miyamoto has mentioned a sequel to A Link to the Past on the 3DS and mentioned how awesome a 2D Zelda would look. But is the 2D era over on the 3DS? Would we feel short changed having a 2D Zelda game when we know how powerful the 3DS is and can handle an amazing update of OoT?

Or do we all still want the 2D games to continue? are they a bigger staple than the 5 home console installments?
What does everyone think?

I'd really like the sequel to A Link to the Past Miyamoto suggested. I'd hate for the 2d era to die. Nintendo is using the 3ds, kind of ironically, to produce a massive amount of 2d games. Think of 2d games with 3d backdrops, like sheets of paper lined up in a row that can be jumped between, like Mutant Mudds and Kid Icarus, Metroid, Kirby, and a bunch of other classics re-released. They're also about to release New Super Mario Bros. 2, another 2D game. And i think its a good idea. I've missed the 2d games. Games like the Oracles and Minish Cap has some wonderful dungeons and fun weapons and it'll be nice to see them again.

My personal idea? A sequel to A Link to the Past. After A Link to the Past, Link travels to Holodrum and Labrynna with the Triforce he gained. On the return trip to Hyrule, he washes up in the dream world of Koholint. A sequel to Link's Awakening would be great. The game begins with a bird's eye view of Link, clothes tattered, clinging to a small plank of wood as it washes up to shore on the beach of a burning Hyrule. Hyrule is in trouble once more, and it has forgotten about its young green-clad hero thought to be long lost to he sea.

I personally think it's about time for a 3D zelda game for the 3DS. Afterall, it is called the 3DS, it's in the name, and with the OOT port, and kid icarus uprising, and mario 3d land etc, we all know that the 3ds is capable of 3d games. Let's have a 3d zelda on a portable console for once. It doesn't have to mean the end of the 2d era, they could bring that back in the future (like mario did with new super mario bros wii for example). But as mentioned, I want to see another 3d zelda. Most of the zelda games are 2d/top-down. The only ones that aren't are OOT, MM, TWW, TP, and SS. That's 5 out of 16 (PH and ST are kind of 2.5d, but they're still top-down/birdseye view (excluding the ship/train travel and boss fights). So yeah, let's have a 3d zelda seeing as the 3ds is capable of it.

Last edited:
Just because the 3DS can handle overworld games like OoT, this doesn't mean it should. I think Nintendo should make a game like the other DS ones but a bit more fleshed out. Maybe even using lock-on targeting with the touch screen for SS-esque sword controls... However I DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT want to see MM on a handheld. If you want to know why, I have a list of 10 reasons it would be out of place.

Re-releases of the original 2D games should remain 2D. (There was talk of ALttP being redone in 3D, which is NOT okay.)
But any new titles to be done should be done in 3D, it's just more fun that way.
I'm not quite sure what it is, but 2D games have ALWAYS had just something lacking in them for me, and I would like to see more of the 3D style art than anything to be done in 2D.

This isn't meant to sound challenging or anything but i'm really interested to know the 10 reasons that you think MM would be out of place on a handheld.

I wrote this in the comments of an article earlier this year:

Seeing whereas everybody is teaming up on me, I'm going to explain why I'm against Moonfall:

1. The three-day system which I love makes the game so you can't play it for a couple minutes at a time, which doesn't work for a portable game.

2. The save system, also a gimmick I enjoyed, makes the game impossible to pick up and play because of the way it doesn't work in dungeons.

3. A huge part of Majora's Mask is delivering items to other characters. On a car ride, while this does use time, this would cause the player to lose interest, and feel motion sick like I do at similar game points.

4. Just because the 3DS is a portable N64 doesn't mean all games would translate well, like I'm explaining. Super Mario 64 worked great on a handheld because of its pick-up-and-play mechanics.

5. True, Ocarina of Time was successful on 3DS, but that game was more built to pick up where you left off rather than restarting your progress to day one.

6. Ocarina of Time featured a Master Quest version, but Majora's Mask wouldn't work for this due to the fact that it was originally an extension of Ocarina and messing with this game’s formula would throw it way too far from where it should be. (Don't believe me? See the article on Ura Zelda.)

7. Majora's Mask is more of a get-things-done-as-fast-as-possible type of game. When I'm on a plane at 4:00 AM, I like things to be laid back and casual.

8. There are so many remakes already out on the 3DS, why have another? And if we were to have another, why not a game more fit for going portable, like A Link to the Past?

9. Why does everybody choose 3DS for a remake system just because Ocarina was on it? I feel like people are just using this as an excuse. I would actually love a remake on Wii U!

10. While Majora's Mask is my favorite game ever, I feel that its strangeness in gameplay might turn off new gamers, especially those who are buying it because they enjoyed Ocarina of Time 3D.

So there are your perfect reasons you claim don't exist and I refuse to apologize. And remember, I'm not just saying this for Zelda, this is true for many games. I'm all for a remake, just not on a portable system.

So there are your perfect reasons you claim don't exist and I refuse to apologize. And remember, I'm not just saying this for Zelda, this is true for many games. I'm all for a remake, just not on a portable system.

I didn't claim that they weren't there, i merely asked what your opinions were.

Anyway, I do agree on most of your points; the save system, if MM were to be remade and re-released would probably have to be changed since i had no end of trouble with it even on the N64, loading my game, starting something then having to leave unexpectedly.. nightmare. This would definitely need to be fixed or at least re-modded to make it easier. Then again that may blow the whole tension element out of the game.

I know a lot of people play handhelds on the go when they can't get to a console but ive spent days on my 3DS as if it were a normal console, i couldnt put OoT down when i got it.

There will be people who have never played MM and it could be a chance for them, but that excuse will always exist.

I remember when WW had the OoT bonus disc in it, everyone wanted other games like Mario Sunshine to include Mario 64 in a bonus disc, etc etc and Nintendo said themselves it was a bad idea since people would come to expect more each time and it would overshadow the new game.

I also think that the reason MM wasn't immediately green lit after OoT 3d is because Nintendo don't want to backtrack, i have no doubt it will happen but like you and I (even though i'd love to see that moon in 3d) it isn't really needed or necessary.

Though then again I'd love a very MM style game in one of the new timelines, i'd love the Adult (WW) timeline to have a completely nuts game like MM in its timeline =]

I am really hoping they bring back MM. I do hope they make a new 2d game as well, but not before an original title 3d game.

I would personally not want to see Zelda 3DS be a 2D Zelda. IMO it's insulting us fans by giving us a 2D game when we know darn well the 3DS can handle a beautiful, new, and expansive (for Zelda standards) 3D Zelda. I would love a 3D A Link to the Past sequel.

Now I'm usually against remakes, but if there was going to be one Zelda game that I'd want remade, it would be A Link to the Past. Having A Link to the Past remade in 3D (or 2D) would be amazing and I'd definitley buy it.

I would personally not want to see Zelda 3DS be a 2D Zelda. IMO it's insulting us fans by giving us a 2D game when we know darn well the 3DS can handle a beautiful, new, and expansive (for Zelda standards) 3D Zelda.

I completely agree with this.

Plus, I'm looking at the numbers here. How many 3d zelda games are there? 5. And how many top-down/2d zelda games are there? 11. While the 2d games are good, I find the 3d ones to be EVEN better, and IMO there's not enough of them. Therefore I want another 3d game personally

If they do end up releasing Majora's Mask 3D I think it would be a good idea to make the brand new 3DS Zelda game a 2D game with 3D backdrops. I think it gives a new, fresh look to things and opens up new/old forms of gameplay.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Personally, I wouldn't mind having another 3D Zelda. OoT3d Really showed how much better it is with 3d visuals.

If They were to make another 2D Zelda, Which I still would love, I think they should make it similar to the newest Pokemon games.
Gamefreak did a good job of making a 2D world seem 3D.

M

matt.tanguay.7

it would be neat to have another 2D game on the 3DS, why not all the 2Ds were really sweet
let them be a reminder of ... the stat of the LoZs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom