• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Fullmetal Alchemist: The Philsopher's War (Fan-fic)

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Wow, I can't believe I've made it to 10 chapters! Well, this is definitely a good one! Enjoy! :) P.S. If you get to a name spelled Are, it's pronounced Ares but without the 's'.

CHAPTER 10

The Assassin

“I can’t believe this is happening,” Alphonse muttered. He and Edward were sitting next to Mustang in the hospital room. “I mean… is everyone in Central really gone?”

“Yep,” Mustang answered solemnly. He sighed. “Fuery’s gone. Falman’s gone. Havoc’s gone. Even…” He lowered his head and struggled with the words. “Even Riza’s gone…” Everything became quiet.

Eventually, Ed stood up and walked over to the window. “So we’re fighting two separate enemies?”

Mustang cleared his throat. “It would appear that way. Dylan made it clear that he wasn’t too fond of Kimblee, and that he had his own plans in mind. I think it’s fair to say that they’re not on the same team.” Just then, Alex Armstrong stormed into the room. May Chang and her panda, Xiao-Mei, were quick to follow.

“May!” Al shouted. He stood up and hugged her. May planted a kiss on his cheek.

“Oh Alphonse! You’ll never believe what’s happened!” May cried.

“Fuhrer, this is important,” Armstrong declared.

“What’s going on?” Ed asked.

May let go of Alphonse and wiped her eyes. “Well, Winry and I decided to take a train and visit Ms. Hughes in Central. But when we arrived, there were bodies scattered everywhere. The conductor told us not to leave the train, but Winry was concerned about you guys and I thought I could keep us safe. However, we ran into a homunculus and Winry was taken captive! I barely managed to escape! I’m so sorry I couldn’t save her!” May and Xiao-Mei were bawling now. Everyone else was in complete shock.

Edward gritted his teeth and pounded the table. “ARE YOU STUPID?! WHY DIDN’T YOU JUST STAY IN THE TRAIN?!” This caused May to cry even harder.

“Brother, please!” Al beckoned. “May,” he said in a soft voice, “did you say a homunculus?”

“Y-Yes,” she sobbed. “It was Selim Bradley!” Everyone looked up.

“No,” Ed muttered, “no that’s not possible!”

“Are you sure of this, May?” Al asked.

“Yes,” May answered. “It was definitely that boy. He had the same presence as before. Plus, he attacked with the shadows!” The room once again became quiet.

“Could the enemy have found a way to resurrect the homunculi?” Roy asked.

“I don’t know,” answered Ed, “but I’ll find out when I go to Central to rescue Winry.”

“Are you crazy?” Armstrong bellowed. “We have reason to believe that Kimblee and Dion are currently using Central as their base of operations. Now we hear that Pride could be there, as well as Dylan Vaughn, and you want to stage a one-man rescue?”

“I won’t be going alone. I’ll take Al, May, Ling, and Lan Fan with me.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Mustang intruded. “The enemy is far superior in strength.”

Ed chuckled. “Have you forgotten what you’ve put inside me? I’m a weapon of mass destruction thanks to you! And yet you don’t think I can handle this?”

“No I don’t!” Roy shot back.

“Well too damn bad! I’m no longer a dog of the military. I’m not on a leash anymore. The person I love is in trouble, and I’ll risk it all to save her!”

“So will I!” shouted Al.

“And so will I!” added May. “Oh, and Edward… I always knew you loved her!”

“WHA-!?” Ed fell to the floor, realizing what he had admitted. “I… I didn’t say love!”

“Oh sure!” May shouted. The two of them argued back and forth. Alphonse tried desperately to mediate them.

“That’s enough!” Mustang hollered. “Edward, I think you being an idiot right now.” Ed rolled his eyes. “However,” Roy continued, “I see I can’t change your mind. Just be careful.”

“I will,” Ed smiled.

**​

Edward, Al, and May eventually met up with Ling and Lan Fan, who agreed to go to Central with them. They started walking through the woods.

“Do you know where they took Winry?” Ed asked May.

“No,” May replied, “but if I was hiding out in Central, I think I’d stay at Central Command.”

“She’s got a point,” Ling said.

“Alright,” Ed agreed, “but it sounds like we can’t just walk into the city. Any ideas on how we can get in?”

“What about the tunnels ‘Father’ lurked in?” Lan Fan suggested. “We could use those to sneak into Central Command.”

“Great idea!” May exclaimed. “But the entrance is in the south side of the city.”

“Then we should go south to Dublith first,” Al said. “Then we can go north from there and sneak in the tunnels faster.”

“Sounds like a plan,” concluded Edward. He pounded his fists. “Don’t worry, Winry. We’re coming to save you.”

**​

*Snap!*

“Did you guys hear that?” Lan Fan asked nervously. It was night when they came to an opening in the forest, which they had been walking in for over an hour.

“I didn’t hear anything,” Ling replied. “What did it sound like?”

“It sounded like a tree branch snapping,” answered May.

“You heard it too?” Lan Fan asked. May nodded.

Suddenly, there was quick movement from behind the trees. Out of nowhere, a man with a sword came flying at Edward. Luckily, Ling was fast enough to protect Ed with his swords. The assailant was flung over the group, landing just a few feet in front of Alphonse.

“Who are you?!” Ling barked as he made his way to the front.

The man slowly got up and dusted himself off. He turned around, and Ling could just make out his feature in the darkness. He was very tan, tall, and muscular. He had white hair and red eyes. Ishvalan. He was wearing a sleeveless top and army pants with boots. In his right hand was a black katana.

“My name is Are, and I’ve been hired to kill the Elric brothers,” he said in a deep voice. “They are described as two young men with blonde hair and ponytails, one being abnormally short. You don’t fit the bill, so step aside.”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that,” Ling answered. “See, the Elrics have to go save their friend. I guess you’ll just have to settle for me.”

“And me!” Lan Fan said. Ling smiled at her and nodded.

“Alright,” Are said. He cracked his neck. “I’ve already been paid, and you seem so eager to die! Besides, I’m sure that brat homunculus will finish the Elrics off.”

“Very well. Go you guys,” Ling urged. “Lan Fan and I will be alright!” He gave Ed a thumbs-up, which Ed returned. Alphonse then led the group out of the forest.

“Time to die!” Are shouted. He charged at Ling, who parried with his twin blades. Are dodged Ling’s counter-attack, but suffered a swift blow to the arm from the blade of Lan Fan’s automail.

“Damn,” Are muttered. He stabbed his sword into the ground, which sent blue sparks in every direction. “You see, this blade has a transmutation circle on the handle! I can use it to channel my alchemy!” Suddenly, small knives flew out from the earth towards Ling and Lan Fan. Lan Fan used her acrobatic skills to dodge, but Ling was hit in the shoulder and in both legs. He fell to the ground.

“My lord!” Lan Fan shouted. Ling waved her off.

“I’m fine,” he moaned. But there was another flash of blue light. Now, Are was whipping a chained scythe around his head.

“It’s finished,” he said. Are whipped the chain at Ling, which struck him in the back. Ling fell to the ground, blood dripping from his mouth.

“NO!” Lan Fan cried. “YOU MONSTER! I’LL KILL YOU!” Lan Fan threw a flash bomb to the ground. Then came a burst of light. Are tried to see Lan Fan, but, before he knew it, she had pinned him to the ground. Her automail blade almost went through his neck, but he was able to block it with the chain of the scythe.

“YOU KILLED THE YOUNG LORD!” Lan Fan screamed. She was trying to push past the chain that prevented her from getting revenge.

“Don’t worry,” Are said as he struggled to fight back his death, “you’ll be joining him real soon!” Are wrapped the chain around Lan Fan’s automail, which allowed him the upper hand. He then pushed her to the ground, retracted the scythe from Ling’s body, and held it to her neck.

“It’s going to feel so good when I slit your throat!” Are exclaimed. Lan Fan tried to fight back, but Are had her pinned. It was then that Lan Fan did the only thing she thought might work: she kicked him between the thighs. Are loosened his grip just enough for Lan Fan to push him over. She got on top of him and plunged her automail through his neck. She had won.

Lan Fan ran over to Ling; tears streamed down her face.

“LING! LING, WAKE UP! PLEASE!” She sat on the ground and cried over his body. Then she heard something. It was like someone wheezing.

“Lan…Fan…,” Ling managed to say.

“Ling? Ling! You’re alive?!” She was crying even more now, except these were tears of joy.

“Lan… Fan… my… poc…ket…”

“Your pocket?” Lan Fan reached into his pocket, and there she found a small vial. It was filled with pink liquid. “Is this… a stone? Ling, can we heal you with this?!”

Ling slowly nodded. He opened the palm of his hand. Lan Fan gave him the vial. Suddenly, a pink human transmutation circle started to glow around his body.

“What are you doing?!” Lan Fan shouted.

Ling just mouthed the words, “I love you.” A giant eye appeared under him, and black hands pulled Ling into it.

**​

A few minutes later, Ling’s lifeless body started to move again.

“Oh thank God!” Lan Fan exclaimed. “Ling, are you alright?” The young lord scratched his head.

“I’m sorry, but… I think I’m Greed…”

End of Chapter 10​

Last edited:

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Alright I'll be taking a break from writing this so I can experiment with another story. It's an intermission, deal with it!

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
CHAPTER 11

The Gate and Dublith

“You’re… Greed?” Lan Fan muttered. Her voice had cracked mid-question. Her eyes searched the ground feverishly for an explanation. After a moment, she grabbed Ling’s body by the shoulders and looked into the eyes of whoever inhabited it.

“Where is the Young Lord?” she asked sternly. No response. “WHERE IS HE?!”

“I don’t know,” Greed replied. He touched his back, where the scythe had cut in, and immediately pink sparks sealed the wound up. Greed sighed. “I didn’t see anything. … But I heard what was said. We all did.”

“And?” Lan Fan beckoned. Tears streamed down her face.

“The Truth, God, Keeper of the Gate, whatever you want to call him, he asked Ling, ‘Are you here for the same deal I made the other human?’ Ling just said one word. A name. My name: ‘Greed.’”

“Oh, Ling,” Lan Fan whispered. “Why… why didn’t you just use the stone to heal yourself?!” There was a long pause of silence in which only the girl’s sobs could be heard.

“Because Greed can help us,” Ling replied. He was talking through his own body again.

“Emperor Yao! Ling! You’re alive!” Lan Fan exclaimed. “But… but how?”

“Well, I was at the gate,” Ling began, “the Gate of Truth. He was there, the creator I mean, and to him I traded all of the souls in the Philosopher’s Stone for the soul of one homunculus. You remember Greed, don’t you? Now the spirits of Greed and me share this body, just like we did all those years ago. It was to gain an upper hand in this battle, please understand that, Lan Fan.”

“Aw, and here I thought you missed me!” Greed chimed in. “That was risky business what you did, though. I could have come out a completely different Greed than the one you knew! What would you have done then?”

“I’m not sure,” admitted Ling as he regained control. He scratched the back of his head. “I just had a hunch, considering the very same Pride came back in Selim Bradley’s body. I thought maybe homunculi had connections to bodies that they had previously inhabited.”

Lan Fan gasped, as suddenly, Ling’s arms turned hard and black and his fingers became claws.

“Carbon,” she muttered. “Just like before.”

“Wait, you’re telling me that Pride was resurrected?” Greed asked. He was almost shouting. “That would explain why I couldn’t feel his presence on the Other Side...”

“The Other Side of the Gate?” Ling questioned without switching back. He was talking to Greed directly from inside of the homunculus’s conscience. Even Lan Fan couldn’t hear him from in there.

“That’s right,” confirmed Greed. “All of my siblings are hauled up in there, even my dwarf father, but for some reason Pride’s arrogant presence vanished. … Listen, do either of you know where he is now? I would like to take care of him.”

“Our friend May Chang said she spotted him in Central,” answered Lan Fan.

“Then I’d like to head to Central. Ling, is it okay if I command this body for a while longer?”

“Go for it!” Ling answered enthusiastically. “But… may I do something first?” Ling took control of the body once more and kissed Lan Fan on the lips. It was a long kiss. A meaningful one.

“Ling…,” Lan Fan whispered.

“Thank you, Lan Fan.”

**​

The next day, around noon, a train thundered into the Dublith Station. It was a train Ed, Al, May, and her panda, Xiao-Mei, had boarded the previous night from a small town outside of the East City forest. Ed stepped out onto the platform first, followed by his brother and finally May.

“Man, am I hungry!” Ed moaned as he stretched out his arms. He then turned to face Alphonse and May, bearing a serious and grown up expression. “But there’s no time for that,” he admitted. “Sitting on that train and thinking about Winry’s life being in danger was pure torture. We have to get to Central right now, Al!”

“I understand that, brother,” Al replied, “but we need a car first! Trains have stopped running in that direction, remember?”

Edward chuckled.

“Heh, then I know just the guy,” he smirked.

**​

“Absolutely not,” a man answered. He was talking to Ed inside of a meat shop named Curtis Meats. The guy was huge: over six and a half feet tall and more than three-hundred pounds in weight. His body was mostly forged by muscle, though. He had short brown hair streaked with gray and a full beard, completing the masculine look. He usually just wore a plain brown shirt and plain pants.

“Sid, this is not a joke! Winry’s life is in danger! Haven’t you heard what’s been happening at Central?”

“We’ve heard, Ed,” a third man said, “but we can’t just let you have the car so casually!” This man’s name was Mason, and he was a lot younger than the first man. Mason in fact worked for Sid at Curtis Meats. He had short, spiky brown hair and wore a white bandana. He too was a muscle enthusiast, but he wasn’t quite at Sid’s level.

“Ah, forget both of you!” Ed shouted. He turned around and stormed out of the store. Al and May were waiting outside.

“He won’t let you borrow it?” May asked.

“No, THE DAMN IDIOT WON’T!” Ed half turned back and shouted. He wanted to make sure Sid heard him. “Winry…,” Ed muttered. “Dammit, why can’t I just have a car?!” Ed stomped his foot on the ground in anger. Suddenly, pink sparks fizzled from the earth. Through alchemy, a car began to form piece by piece out of nothing. As the light faded, the car became visible to all. It was black with red flames for decal and had a demon head hood-ornament. It was just the kind of vehicle Ed would have preferred to drive in the first place.

All three of Ed, Al, and May stood in awe of what Edward had just done through his alchemy. It was no doubt made possible by the Perfect Philosopher’s Stone inside of him. Their amazement was interrupted, however, by a voice.

“Edward…,” a woman muttered. Ed quickly turned to his left to see a woman standing there. She had dark, braided hair and dark eyes. She was wearing a white, casual style dress and was holding a shopping bag. Her eyes were filled with sadness. Standing next to her was none other than Scar.

“Teacher!” Al exclaimed.

“Miss Izumi!” shouted May.

“Izumi, dear,” Sid greeted as he exited the store. He walked over to his wife and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. He looked at the car, then back at Edward.

“Teacher, I –” Ed began.

“Edward,” she interrupted. Her voice began to falter. “What… what kind of monster have they turned you into?”

End of Chapter 11​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom