• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Franchises that deserve better

Some franchises endure even if they suck if they had strong beginnings...

There are many franchises that have seen their golden ages come and go, Sonic the Hedgehog being one of them.

Another for me, is Silent Hill, the first 4 games were great but everything since the series moved outside of Japan (after number 4) has sucked. It deserves better than what the new creative teams have made it suffer...

Which franchises do you feel deserve better than the awful games they've been receiving?

Some franchises endure even if they suck if they had strong beginnings...

There are many franchises that have seen their golden ages come and go, Sonic the Hedgehog being one of them.

Another for me, is Silent Hill, the first 4 games were great but everything since the series moved outside of Japan (after number 4) has sucked. It deserves better than what the new creative teams have made it suffer...

Which franchises do you feel deserve better than the awful games they've been receiving?

Asscreed, CoD, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, let's just say, a lot.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I gotta agree on Jak & Daxter, Zelda deserves far better than what SS gave to the series not sure what else though i am sure some do deserve it.

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
Much like another user said, there are so many franchises that deserve much better.

Franchises like Advance Wars, Megaman, Sonic, Final Fantasy (though XV looks really promising thanks to Nomura stepping down & Tabata's involvement), Breath of Fire, Suikoden, Jak & Dexter, the list just goes on and on. Though in particular, Capcom is famous for ignoring anything that isn't Monster Hunter, crossover related and mobile gaming. (And even then, it's hard to actually get a Monster Hunter game to come to the West. Probably because it doesn't have near the popularity that it has in Japan).

Speaking of franchises that have a hard time receiving localization in the West, Dragon Quest is another one of those series. I've been waiting for the longest time for that 3DS port of Dragon Quest VII and Square Enix has no intention of bringing it over.

Salem

SICK
WHERE DO I BEGIN???
  • Mega Man
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Bubsy
  • The Sims
  • Ultima
  • Mana series
Actually, there's a lot more, I can't think of more.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
believe it or not,the mario series was actually the first to come to mind
sticker star,the 17th installment of nsmb,no successor to galaxy,mario party 10
honestly,in recent times,mario has just been handled terribly [exception being 3d world....KINDA]

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Metroid needs more love. I thought it should be akin to a Big Three next to Mario and Zelda, but the Big N doesn't get it. It's a sci-fi series full of great puzzles, action, platforming, and even lore. I want a new Prime game from retro, or at least a 3d Metroid. We're five years past Other M, the shock is gone. Anyone whose played Prime knows this series has potential. The new abilities of HD grahpics, advanced processing, amiibos, online patches and multiplayer add so much opportunity to a series lacking a good entry since Prime 3. (This doubly applies to F-Zero but that's another argument).

I personally would like some more character development, but make it more natural and subdued. Maybe she can have love interest/rival as she pursues some alien ship across different planets. I'm just saying a series with all the Chozo lore and backstory for Samus needs more, even if Other M came off so rough.

A new 2 or 2.5D game on 3DS would be great. It could explore a type of game now relegated to virtual consoles and indie games: Metroidvania. Again, new technology begs to be put to use. I know one was being made and then cancelled, but please have someone tackle it again Nintendo. Imagine a 2.5D Super Metroid Remake with new graphics, levels, and power-ups. I'd prefer something completely original like Fusion, but I'll take this any day.

Metroid is a classic series with a lot of fan support. Please give it love.

Also, I want Metroid Fusion for 3ds virtual console at E3 2015. Because if that happens. . . add up the number in 2015 to get 8 plus the 3 in E3 for 11.
Add the 2 in 2015 to the 15 to get 17. Add the 13 years since Fusion released to get 30.
11/30. November 30th, which is Ridley Scott's birthday. Ridley confirmed for Smash.

The obvious answer here is Sonic. The last few games for it have been very garbage. Sonic seriously needs a good game for people to get into. And not this rushed buggy trash we have been receiving.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I don't see why people say megaman deserves better. Don't get me wrong I do think he should get more games and capcom was stupid for canceling Megaman legends 3. Then placing blame on fans. Murder levels rising....

Anyway Megaman has a ton of good games. 1-4 are great. 5-8 a bit similiar and bit bland as you go on but still fun. 9 and 10 brought back a good amount of fun. Powered up is interesting and lets you play as robot masters. Megaman and bass. Difficult and annoying. Still a decent game as long as you don't have the screen crunch of the gba port.

The gameboy megaman games. They werent bad. 1 - 4 reused robot master and parts of stages. Didn't hurt to bad. They were fun and introduced the megaman killers and quint. Thanks to those we have Ballad and Punk. Then we have megamn V for Gameboy. Pretty original, had starloids and was amazing.

Megaman X has 1 - 5 which are amazing. They brought interesting triggers. Sure there is a flaw in each game that can annoy. But every game has something. 6 is alright not the worst thing but not the best. 7 is really the only horriable game I can think of when thinking of anything Megaman related. 8 is meh but it atleast fixes a lot of what 7 got wrong. X7 can burn burn to the ground. BURN!!!!! Darn hyena.

Megaman Zero series. Hard, interesting, decent to great story and amazingly fun. Zero 1 is fun and each game only improves. They may make me want to rip my hair out at their difficulty and grading. But it is so fun and fufilling to improve at.

Then the Megaman ZX series came out. Still being hard but you got different forms. Making it fun and you can find a style your own. Keeping a good difficulty. A bit of a pain getting everything but games and flaws. Then ZX advent. So amazing with more forms more stuff. Just yes.

Then we have Megaman battle network. Again slowly improving. 6 games after 2 each game had two forms. So a total of 10 games for the series. Impressive exclusive content to the version you played. The only game that stick out as meh or close to bad is one and four. One being the first in the series and they just needed to learn on how to make the maps more interesting and easier to navigate. Four being filler, have to beat atleast three times to get everything and way to long feeling.

Megaman starforce had 3 games. The first game having three versions. The second and third game both having two versions each. So seven games. The game series having an interesting crossover with battlenetwork, fairly good characters and story, fun battle system and plain interesting.It felt like a successor to the battle network series but also did itself in its own way.

Megaman legend series had three games. Tron bonne, legends one and then two. Having an interesting dungeon crawling like feel, interesting combat system and a fun story. A game not for everyone but i have love for it.

Then spin offs.. The spin offs are good too. The megaman fighter games were interesting and fun to play with a friend. A different way to fighting the robot masters you knew. The megaman racer game was interesting. Not the best racer but pretty good. Even the megaman soccer game was fun to play as. I love using dust man in it.

Megaman has had so many games. Most being good. Now he is in Smash 4 and is nostalgia to the max. His franchise has had so much go for him. The only sad things is the sudden drop and killing of projects that involved him. I'll be sad theres no large mmo of megaman. I'd bloody kill for a megaman legends 3. But he has so many games. I'm pretty sure he has more then Mario.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
Anyway the topic is about franchises that deserve better. For me that is Devil May Cry. Sure the first three games were a bit bulky and tanky in controls. The stories not the best. They had charm and one hell of a likable character. Dante that lovable bastard. Also all the weapons. Then devil trigger. Oh god do i love my power forms of death and destruction.

Then came 4 which was the pinicle of the combat system. Fast, fluid and so many ways to combo. Even when rushed and unfinished. The only thing that took a hit were story and and level design since you retraced your steps. Even with a meh story Nero was amazing. That demon arm is godly and gives me the rush of power i love slaming demons. I liked the crazy bastards trying to make angels from demonic power.

The the reboot happened, Gameplay isn't to bad. It is fluid, has some charm and you can do some decent combos. I didn't like having to hold the buttons for my weapons but wasn't the worse. The levels were a bit of fun and i love enviroment kills. But unfortunatly the thing that sucked about it was the characterization and the story.

The story is meh and a bad disguise of internet **** and blah. Dante was an annoying duece that became a bit likable. Kat was good. I liked her and she did help. Everyone else sucked. Also the devil trigger sucked. I like my overpowered death form. Not i make you float. Why do they have to float?

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
This might seem like an obvious choice for me, but i'd have to say the Golden Sun franchise deserves better. There's no specific franchise that I would say it's more deserving to be represented that is Nintendo related. Golden Sun had two amazing games, was forgotten for 8 years, and then forgotten again for 5 years now. I think it's pretty unfair treatment for a franchise that has so much lore and story possibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom