• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forest Temple from TP = Deku Tree?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I get different puzzles but that doesn't mean it wouldn't retain the same general shape. If it is something not even remotely similar then...
Besides I am not sure how a mansion turns into a hollowed out tree with a completely different door design. If it was based on OoT FT their would be hints or easter eggs or something that would show some connection.
It's possible, I personally do not think they are the same but in the world of Zelda where drastic changes occur on a regular basis it's not impossible.

If they'd kept it the same general shape, then it wouldn't have felt like a new dungeon. Take note how the Lost Woods was differently shaped, too. Yet it was still the Lost Woods.

If they'd kept it the same general shape, then it wouldn't have felt like a new dungeon. Take note how the Lost Woods was differently shaped, too. Yet it was still the Lost Woods.

It's been ages since I played, but aren't the two Water Temples similar?
Both have a central chamber with passages on different levels reaching out to different parts of the temple. The puzzles were different, it concentrated on a different aspect of water (flow as opposed to height of the water) but it retained some similar characteristics including a recognizable location (middle of Lake Hylia).
I don't think they are the same, but that's just me.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
It's been ages since I played, but aren't the two Water Temples similar?
Both have a central chamber with passages on different levels reaching out to different parts of the temple. The puzzles were different, it concentrated on a different aspect of water (flow as opposed to height of the water) but it retained some similar characteristics including a recognizable location (middle of Lake Hylia).
I don't think they are the same, but that's just me.

They're somewhat similar, but not really. Anyway, my point is, why would they name it the Forest Temple if it weren't supposed to be the same? Especially if it was supposed to be the Deku Tree. Plus, I doubt there would be some other random area that was a Temple in the forest.

They're somewhat similar, but not really. Anyway, my point is, why would they name it the Forest Temple if it weren't supposed to be the same? Especially if it was supposed to be the Deku Tree. Plus, I doubt there would be some other random area that was a Temple in the forest.

Temple of Time was in the forest lol :P
Well the name isn't specific, could apply to any active temple in a forest. They probably did intend to be the same as a nod to OoT, after all the entire game seems to be one gigantic nod to it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Temple of Time was in the forest lol :P
Well the name isn't specific, could apply to any active temple in a forest. They probably did intend to be the same as a nod to OoT, after all the entire game seems to be one gigantic nod to it.

...I know the ToT was in the forest. That really wasn't called for.

Anyway, since when have there been any other active temples in the forest besides the Forest Temple and the Temple of Time? Never. And there was no indication that this was supposed to be different. This goes back to what I said earlier about Occam's Razor applying here.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
it is possible and i belive it is who knows goron mines could be the remains of dodongos cavern or the fire temple

Now the Goron Mines I do believe to be the Dodongo's Cavern, as it's obviously not the Fire Temple, and, well, there are Dodongos in it. And they've got to be mining something, so why wouldn't that be some kind of rock? (Actually, I think the Fire Temple was going to be in it, but it got changed to the Goron Mines.)

Uncalled for? I didn't intend anything to be an insult or anything, sorry if it came off that way.
I just think the two or too dissimilar to be the same, but with the way the rest of the game is set up toward being essentially a beefed up OoT remake it probably was meant to be the same temple. Just one of those things that don't make to much sense to me. But I am over-thinking a video game no doubt, it is what it is not an archaeological study lol.
I will say this, I didn't read the rest of the thread but I am sure it was mentioned on the doors was a Deku symbol, no? That may point to it being the hollowed out tree, especially if there is no other Deku Tree in game. We know Saria was the sage of the Forest Temple but beyond that it didn't seem the Kokiri had anything to do with the temple, it certainly didn't look like anything they could have built. Did not use the same materials or construction style as the Kokiri Forest and would point to it as being constructed by another peoples. The second FT looks like it could easily be Kokiri, the symbols also point to that. It being the old Deku Tree does make some sense.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I will say this, I didn't read the rest of the thread but I am sure it was mentioned on the doors was a Deku symbol, no? That may point to it being the hollowed out tree, especially if there is no other Deku Tree in game. We know Saria was the sage of the Forest Temple but beyond that it didn't seem the Kokiri had anything to do with the temple, it certainly didn't look like anything they could have built. Did not use the same materials or construction style as the Kokiri Forest and would point to it as being constructed by another peoples. The second FT looks like it could easily be Kokiri, the symbols also point to that. It being the old Deku Tree does make some sense.

All of the first three dungeons had the Spiritual Stones symbols on their doors, including the Lakebed Temple. Therefore that's not sufficient evidence.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Been a while since I played so I didn't remember their being symbols on the other doors, either way I think my points still stand but either way it's just another confusing aspect of Zelda lore.

I actually do think it was left for us to decide for ourselves, just like with the Hero's Shade. And I personally believe it's suggested that it's the same.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Juicie, I believe that you are wrong on this one, though you are not wrong often. The Forest Temples from the two games are far too dissimilar to be the same structure. The structure and layout are far too different for them to be the same.

I present Exhibit A: The structure of the temples:

Ft.jpg

Exterior of Ocarina of Time Forest Temple.

attachment.php

One room of Twilight Princess Forest Temple.

Notice, first of all, that the overall structure of the Ocarina of Time Forest Temple shows that it is clearly man-made, and constructed from stone. The wall is decorated and the structures on the edge of the roof are ornate. There is an obvious wood door. Inside, all the walls are stone and many of the areas do seem like chambers that have not even been overgrown by the forest greatly, though some of the areas do seem quite forested.

Compare that to the image of the Twilight Princess Forest Temple. The structure seems to be mostly composed not of stone, but actually of the combined trunks of many trees. If you look closely, it does seem like many trees are involved, not just one as the OP suggested. And, inside, all of the structures such as ramps or platforms are constructed of wood rather than the stone of the Ocarina of Time Forest Temple. Of course, they could have been removed, but why would one replace stone with wood? Stone would not have deteriorated between the two eras, as we can assume the time between the games can be counted in hundreds of years, and stone structures have been known to last thousands.

Now, let's check out Exhibit B: The Dungeon Maps:

830px-Forest_Temple_Map_%28Ocarina_of_Time%29.png

The Ocarina of Time Forest Temple Dungeon Map.

928519_20061122_screen011.jpg

The Twilight Princess Forest Temple Dungoen Map.

Notice that both maps are similar towards the bottom, with one central room, but that these similarities quickly disappear when the top of the maps come into view. Recall that in the Twilight Princess Forest Temple, there is a large exterior room that leads to another portion of the temple that is large in size. This entire concept is completely absent in Ocarina of Time. Plus, this combined with the open space of some of the rooms made the Forest Temple in Twilight Princess have an open feeling, while in Ocarina of Time it felt more like an ancient building with tight corridors.

(See the Twisted Corridor):

Forest_Temple_interior_OoT.jpg

Essentially, the maps and feel, not to mention structure, of the Forest Temples are incredibly different, showing that the two are obviously different buildings and that the original Forest Temple from Ocarina of Time is not present in Twilight Princess as nothing even resembling it is seen. The Twilight Princess Forest Temple is its own structure that has not been seen previously in the Zelda series, as all logic and evidence shows.

Image credits for the Ocarina of Time Map go to Zelda Wikia
Credits for the Twilight Princess Map go to Gamespot
Credits for all other images go to ZeldaWiki

Garo

Boy Wonder
The Ocarina of Time Forest Temple had a very ghostly central theme; the Twilight Princess Forest Temple is far more conventional, in that it wasn't really ghost-themed at all. Monkeys, vines, wooden structures - very Foresty, not very ghostly.

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
I see no reason the TP forest temple is the OoT forest temple.
We've sort of gotten off topic. We're trying to compare the TP Forest Temple and the Deku Tree, not the OoT Forest Temple. I hope you guys are remembering that. I could understand why you would think that the OoT and TP forest temples might be the same, but I'm pretty sure they are different. After all, the OoT Forest Temple was located at the back of the lost woods, not near the entrance. Not to mention the OoT Forest Temple is like a giant mansion, and the TP Forest Temple is a tree.

JerônimoLink

New Hyrule's Engineer
Many people said that the temple of time is near the forest temple, so it couldn't be the deku tree. I'm not saying that it is, but to get to the temple of time, you must pass trought a grove that is probably lost woods ( just look at the music, the skull kid, the trunks). In OOT, lost woods did have some connections to lake hylia, goron city, etc. Maybe in this game, it connects to the remains of the temple of time!

EDIT: Ops, it isn't Lake Hylia, it is Zora's River, sorry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom