• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Firearms/Guns in Zelda

Do you want firearms in Zelda?

• I want them in the series.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would not want them in the series.

• I don't care.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I wouldn't want them to go farther than someone akin to the hidden gun in Assassin's Creed. Slow-firing, single-shot pistol type deal. But, I'd rather them not go all gun-happy. An arrow works well enough, really. Most things in Zelda are there to fulfill a specific reason, and I don't see why a gun would work over the bow or other equipment. Unless it's like, a .50 Cal sniper rifle...

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
No!!!!! No guns!!!!! I like that Zelda doesn't have guns in. I hate guns in real life and in games, ruins things. It's nothing to do with violence (swords are pretty violent) and everything to do with the fact that games that involve guns tend to attract the kind of people who take video games more seriously than they ought to. I think guns would ruin Zelda for this reason as Nintendo would start to cater to that (dumba**) market. #unpopularopinion #buttrue no thank you please stick to medieval weapons and magical weapons.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
We should bring in every weapon from Battlefield 3, specifically the sexy AN-94. :)

Just kidding. I'm quite happy with any kind of gun, but they aren't necessarily new to the series because we had a bazooka in Twilight Princess. :)

ALSO, the key to any item is balance, and I'd argue that Nintendo has balance relatively mastered regarding its weapons. A combat item SHOULD be used a lot, and a gun is exactly that.

If a gun were to make its way to Link's arsenal, it would definitely be something special. I wouldn't want it to be anything more than an item though, and shouldn't overpower the other items. A reasonable ammo limit would be needed, perhaps no more than 10 shots per whatever they would be stored in. It may knock the bow from his pockets in that game or even replace the bombs if it's an explosive projectile. Dang a bazooka sounds fun, they did have that in TP! (credit to Ventus for pointing it out on this thread).
STILL, it should remain as a "gun (or two) IN a Zelda game", not a "Zelda game with guns", so that it isn't overpowering :) and the firearm in question to remain rather simple. I'll always prefer a bow & arrow, but I wouldn't mind something like this as an item in a game :)

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
In the technological timeframe of most Zelda games, your firearm would probably look like this

3cTqy.jpg

Say hello to the hand cannon (c.1320). Inefficient. Dangerous. Unreliable. Everything you're looking for in a weapon!

Most likely, the rule of cool would kick in and you'd get something more along the lines of
3cTAN.jpg

Guns like this fired big bullets and could punch through armor (thanks to improvements in gunpowder manufacturing during the 1400s), which is why the mounted knight all but disappeared by about 1650. An instrument like this would penetrate armor and stop a target cold at close range. Of course, they were largely useless past 20-30m.

The true terror of the early gunpowder period was siege artillery.

In most cases, a bow is better... especially when I can attach a bomb to the arrow. Firearms became the preferred weapon of 16th and 17th century militaries more due to logistical concerns than battlefield superiority.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, we have actually had a gun in Zelda. What is cannon but a large gun? We've seen explosive powder cannons in at TP, WW, SS, and ST. And what are bombs but a gun with no barrel or shot?

Now I don't want any sort of actual handgun or musket taking a prominent role, for that would ruin the feel of epic and classical warfare and adventure. I do however like the idea of cannons seeing a larger use in a future game. They would ruin LOTR, but this series has seen trains, cannons, rock bands, submarines, and modern-looking bars. It's hardly a step up. It would certainly be cool to storm a huge ship packing multiple cannons. It could make for an epic battle. Now the people on the ship could have bows or swords, but I'd like to see Link storm a huge pirate ship or fortress bristling with cannons. Now link could never touch a hand-cannon or gun, but it might be neat for some huge iron knuckle or something to have a cannon for a head or maybe a cannon with legs. I'm all for diversifying, and people taking these games more seriously might benefit the franchise. Granted, these cannons couldn't dominate every section of the game, but they might make a nice touch to a less whimsical game.

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
It would be cool to have a pistol of some sort to carry around. Instead of a slingshot or even a bow we could have a handgun that's not too overpowered. I'm not exactly wanting a steampunk theme or whatever, but I'd like a gun. Just once. And then we can have all the useless slingshots we want.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
No! Just no!

I'm tired of games with guns nowadays.

And Zelda is supposed to be in a fantasy like medieval world. It wouldn't fit.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
As much as I dislike guns in video games, it's possible to see a small variety of firearms in a future Zelda title. Even though I think this is so, I doubt we'll see such a concept for quite some time. By "quite some time" I'm talking not for another few to several years. From my point of view, adding weapons such as guns to this series would be modernizing it even further than what it's ready for. Yes, trains and steam boats are somewhat modern, but I personally believe guns go even further than that. That being said, I say we just stick with cannons and crossbows for now before we take the next big step.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
What about the Master Gun? Is that still not a thing?

Auru's bazooka in TP was kinda cool, but it shot bombs. So it was still relatively fantasy-like. I think a continuation of stuff like this or cannons would be fine, as long as technology doesn't go beyond this level to shooting muskets or pistols. I'll stick with bows that can be used as both an RPG Launcher and a sniper rifle (TP again).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom