• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favourite Gamecube game

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Man, I hate just thinking about the Gamecube. When you remember the sheer mass and variety of spectacular titles on that system, and then turn your attention over to the PS4's barren wasteland that's trying to pass for a software library... it's disheartening. The Gamecube's game library was a veritable Garden of Eden. Gamecube had action shooters, action platformers, a whole host of roleplaying games developers today couldn't even dream of, kart racers, moto racers, arcade racers, arcade schmups, every variety of fighting game in existence, survival horror, life sims... I can't even remember hardly any of some of the most obscure titles on that system that are still some of the best games ever made.

Today on PS4 we got seven different varieties of Call of Dooty clone in six different shades of brown.

What happened???

Anyway, I clocked untold hours into Animal Crossing. Messed around with Star Fox Adventures and it appealed to me on some sort of creative level but I never really got far in it. Smash Bros got a ton of play time. Ocarina of Time Master Quest was my intro to Zelda.

sigh People really ought to be buying up as many Gamecube disks as they can and preserving them before some of these classics disappear forever.

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
shreksuperslam_gcnbox.jpg

Honestly played the crap outta this when I was little. This was my first Super Smash Bros.

Hylian_Rebel

Soy un Perdedor
WindWaker <3
And the Zelda Collectors edition that came with my first GC. I'd played those games previously. But once I had them all together I played that disc more than any other.
I really miss having a GC

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Even now, it still baffles me how I was lucky enough to own some of the best games for this system at a young age. As for my favorite game, its predictable as hell but it has to come down to Wind Waker, but alongside that, I need to mention Mario Sunshine and Super Smash Bros Melee, all of which I played when I was 7 and 8. Also need to bring up Twilight Princess, which although came out when I was 10 I loved to absolute microbes, just as the others. Other games I can remember spending a lot of time on as a kid include Luigi's Mansion, The Simpsons Hit & Run, Pikmin 2, Lego Star Wars 1 & 2, Nicktoons Unite, Volcano Island, Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Party 7 [spent a whole summer playing this], Jimmy Neutron Attack of the Twonkies [which actually wasn't too bad], and the Sonic Adventure games [although I only ever rented them]. I also had the GameCube Preview Disc which had demos of Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Viewtiful Joe, Splinter Cell, Soul Calibur 2, and Sonic Adventure DX. Now that I think about it, I actually managed to rent each of those games, though I didn't buy them b/c in my mind, I'd rather play a new game rather than keep dwelling on one I've already played. I especially thought this when I borrowed my oldest brother's copy of Star Wars Rebel Strike. When it came time to give it back, my dad asked if I wanted my own copy, but I had declined despite really enjoying that game. I was a lot more experimental in my GameCube days than I was in my Wii days. I also remember I really wanted to get Wario World and Star Fox Adventures, but alas, I can never find them in stores. Though the thing was, I got my games from 3 main locations: a store called GameQuest in this one mall, Sears, and Circuit City. Thinking back, Circuit City had a pretty weak selection of games, and it absolutely pains me to think how much more potential games I could have discovered had we gone to an actual game store more often. I also went to La Curacao often but I didn't get games from there that much for some reason. This era was also where I made two huge gaming regrets, and that was passing up Paper Mario 2 and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Paper Mario I regret just b/c of how good it was when I eventually played it in 11th grade, like it was insanely good. But Fire Emblem....a game that's in the triple digits in value...that's all I need to say. Both games could have potentially been my first RPGs [ignoring pokemon], so I'm wondering how things would be different had I played an RPG as a kid. Even post GameCube era, I would still occasionally get GC games from amazon or ebay. Star fox Assault and Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes were two GameCube games I got after I had already gotten a Wii in middle school. Though one more noteworthy post GC era game I got was F-Zero GX from a friend in 12th grade. Holy hell that game was easily the best racing game I've played. In my opinion, GX deserves way more recognition than Mario Kart Double Dash. Despite the amount of GC games I've played over the years, even now, there's still popular titles I have yet to experience like Super Monkey Ball or Metroid Prime. I'd still like to give them a go one day but as it stands, I'm plenty satisfied w/ the game selection I have for the GameCube. On game library alone, easily my favorite system.

...ok, I did not intend to go on for that long, I know thread was just for a favorite game but I went on a summary about my memories w/ the console, so my bad
just on one last note,for any gamecube deprived individuals I'd recommend softmodding a wii and playing the games on a usb device or sd card on that wii via Nintendont if dolphin on the computer isn't your thing, as prices for the games on the system is absurd,you shouldn't have to pay so much for games on a decade old system

sigh People really ought to be buying up as many Gamecube disks as they can and preserving them before some of these classics disappear forever.
The world can always use more drink coasters. /sarcasm

The one redeming feature of the Gamecube library was it being very small. A good thing as there was not the mountains of crapware to swim through to find the few good games. Every TV based Nintendo console has had many good games. But each has varying amounts of crapware. The Gamecube didn't have more good games, it just had a lot less bad ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom