• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Favourite Character Design(s) in the Series

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Zelda has always been one for cool and unique character designs, but what would you say is your favourite design overall? Design meaning everything from the actual person (their facial features/race etc.) to their clothing. So this is purley aesthetic and not down to the actual personal traits of the character.

This applies to all games if I didn't make that clear in the title; however I realise that it's hard to compare the newer generation of games to the late 80's-90's games, so in order to even the playing field you can also pick concept art versions of specific characters.

Therapist Bill

The Pianist
Oh my, how come nobody has replied here Justa? :P

My favorite character designs come all from one game, The Wind Waker. Absolutely fantastic piece of art there, the models & designs fit perfectly with the world they are being created in. The cel shaded art style was so magnificent here, it just gave me such a great Zelda feeling. It might be a little hard thing to explain but some Zelda games simply feel Zelda. They have the perfect atmosphere, adventure, and world. By world I mainly mean art style and character designs. The Wind Waker had a sort of cute child like adventurous feeling and this is what Zelda is to me. :)

Now for the characters I mainly think of that stand out a little in how they look would have to be Ganondorf, Tetra, and the King of Red Lions. These guys (and girl hehe) are absolutely phenomenal.

Let's start with Tetra, not the princess, but Tetra. I just loved this design too. She has the "dirty skin" look of a pirate and "messy" hair, but still maintains some cuteness with that beautiful blonde hair and cute little child's body. We get clear signals that she is the boss since the motions of the character walk in a very pride like manner (although this might also hinting at her royal side too) simply being a leader. However the cuteness of the face and small body tell us it is still just a child that Link can relate too. The second character would have to be the King of Red Lions. This boat talking character is not only very creative as an idea itself but very nicely crafted. There's the classic one man boat design but then they add a sort of nod to more royal & bigger ships that commonly have a carved out figurehead out on front by having the very cool looking (and talking) head up front.

Last and my absolute favorite would be Ganondorf, he has a very intimidating look. He is a tall, vigorious, and darkly clothed man. He has the long dark robe with some abstract patterns on it, this symbolizing his dark wizard side which has been shown in previous games. Then we have the dark green skin, giving us that "non-human corrupted" sort of image of him, he is simply not a friend. Then the big disproportionate nose, always evil (no offense to big nosed people reading this heh :) ). However Ganondorf has a more warrior side to him in this game so of course we see him weilding two long and elegant swords, this combined with his more huge and dominant body shows the player that this guy means business! :P

A very nice thread Justa, too bad I seem to be the only one nerdy enough to keep an extra eye out for these things in the designs of the characters! :P :D

Ganondork

goo
I'd have to say the Happy Mask Salesman. He's always been a really interesting character in my opinion, so this answer isn't particularly difficult for me. There's plenty of things about him that really make him stand out to me. From his personality to his aesthetics, the guy is really interesting.

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif
I'll go ahead and start with his personality. The Happy Mask Salesman is a cool character because of how mysterious he is. There are countless theories of who he is - some even believing that he's the Goddess of Time! While I don't subscribe to this theory, it is an interesting idea. Him being shrouded in mystery is intriguing, but even more interesting is how he behaves. He is generally very calm, cool, and collected, but he has another side to him.

As we all know, he has a rather violent outburst once he finds out that Link has not yet recovered Majora's Mask. This is the beginning of when his character really gets interesting. We see this more emotional side of him, and this naturally makes us not trust him. And yet, everything else about his personality - his amicability, his seemingly good intentions, his I-scratch-your-back-you-scratch-mine attitude - seems to make him a trustworthy ally. So there is always that struggle that the player has: is he trustworthy?

Once you recover Majora's Mask, he offers a final quote. This is the single quote in the entire Zelda series that I really ever remember. Unlike some of the other often cited Zelda quotes, this isn't meant to be too deep. It's simply a declaration.

Happy Mask Salesman said:
Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time... That is up to you.

If you dissect this quote, however, you find a more interesting message behind it. He's not just saying that reunions are up to you, he's saying that every decision you make has a reaction, and it is up to you to face these consequences. It is a powerful message, in my opinion, as his words of taking responsibility for one's actions is a nice theme.

8a835c3163d9be6c75977cc6d3ca5a8d.jpg
Yet, the quote itself is multi-faceted. Could he be referring to his parting with Majora's Mask? Perhaps Link was merely his puppet, who held the bait before Link, goading him onward. Or is he referring to the possibility of the parting between Link and the Happy Mask Salesman not being forever? It's very possible that he's implying that Link will see more of the Happy Mask Salesman one day. We don't know. But it seems to me like the Happy Mask Salesman was not completely satisfied. Perhaps there was still business for him that needed to be seen through to its end.

As far as design choices go in terms of aesthetics, the Happy Mask Salesman is still top notch. We can glean much from the designs that the developers of Majora's Mask gave him.

I'll first analyze his posture. He's hunched over from the weight of the backpack. Yet, he is still rubbing his hands together with a sly grin on his face. This implies a cunning attitude, despite this weight on his back taking its toll on him. Perhaps this weight is actual anxiety from Majora's Mask being out of his grasp. Despite this immense weight beating down on him, the cogs in his brain are still going. He knows exactly how he will recover it.

And then we come to the backpack. The backpack itself is also a symbol that helps give us insight on this mysterious character. As I mentioned in the last paragraph, this backpack - and the weight it carries - is the stress on the Happy Mask Salesman. This anxiety that he is without Majora's Mask is a heavy load for him.

And finally, we come to his most defining features in his design - his masks. These masks all symbolize the different sides of him. Just looking at the picture on the right, we see two emotions on the masks that are quite evident. The first is the look of horror on the gray mask. This mask is his emotions displayed when Link returns without Majora's Mask. The second mask, one of cunning, is below the mask that displays horror. This is the most prominent mask, which is why it is the most human-like of the masks - save the Mario mask Easter egg. This mask is his most worn one, so it is most similar to him in appearance.

So this makes you wonder: was his outburst genuine, or was it a cleverly crafted ploy? I believe that this outburst was, in fact, a work of acting in order to seem genuine. His emotions, or lack thereof, are the selling point to urge Link onward. By seeming distraught - by seeming human! - he tricks Link into continuing the journey to recover Majora's Mask.

His clothes give off an impression of wealth. Yet this also is an illusion that he has so cleverly crafted. In creating this illusion, he paints a picture of trustworthiness, of nobility, and of power. He uses these ruses to gain Link's trust, in an effort to retrieve Majora's Mask. Everything, from the clothes he wears to the masks he uses, are carefully chosen to achieve what it is that he desires most - Majora's Mask.

This cunning is what makes him my favorite character in design.

Happy Mask Salesman said:
You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I'd have to say the Happy Mask Salesman. He's always been a really interesting character in my opinion, so this answer isn't particularly difficult for me. There's plenty of things about him that really make him stand out to me. From his personality to his aesthetics, the guy is really interesting.

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif
I'll go ahead and start with his personality. The Happy Mask Salesman is a cool character because of how mysterious he is. There are countless theories of who he is - some even believing that he's the Goddess of Time! While I don't subscribe to this theory, it is an interesting idea. Him being shrouded in mystery is intriguing, but even more interesting is how he behaves. He is generally very calm, cool, and collected, but he has another side to him.

As we all know, he has a rather violent outburst once he finds out that Link has not yet recovered Majora's Mask. This is the beginning of when his character really gets interesting. We see this more emotional side of him, and this naturally makes us not trust him. And yet, everything else about his personality - his amicability, his seemingly good intentions, his I-scratch-your-back-you-scratch-mine attitude - seems to make him a trustworthy ally. So there is always that struggle that the player has: is he trustworthy?

Once you recover Majora's Mask, he offers a final quote. This is the single quote in the entire Zelda series that I really ever remember. Unlike some of the other often cited Zelda quotes, this isn't meant to be too deep. It's simply a declaration.

If you dissect this quote, however, you find a more interesting message behind it. He's not just saying that reunions are up to you, he's saying that every decision you make has a reaction, and it is up to you to face these consequences. It is a powerful message, in my opinion, as his words of taking responsibility for one's actions is a nice theme.

8a835c3163d9be6c75977cc6d3ca5a8d.jpg
Yet, the quote itself is multi-faceted. Could he be referring to his parting with Majora's Mask? Perhaps Link was merely his puppet, who held the bait before Link, goading him onward. Or is he referring to the possibility of the parting between Link and the Happy Mask Salesman not being forever? It's very possible that he's implying that Link will see more of the Happy Mask Salesman one day. We don't know. But it seems to me like the Happy Mask Salesman was not completely satisfied. Perhaps there was still business for him that needed to be seen through to its end.

As far as design choices go in terms of aesthetics, the Happy Mask Salesman is still top notch. We can glean much from the designs that the developers of Majora's Mask gave him.

I'll first analyze his posture. He's hunched over from the weight of the backpack. Yet, he is still rubbing his hands together with a sly grin on his face. This implies a cunning attitude, despite this weight on his back taking its toll on him. Perhaps this weight is actual anxiety from Majora's Mask being out of his grasp. Despite this immense weight beating down on him, the cogs in his brain are still going. He knows exactly how he will recover it.

And then we come to the backpack. The backpack itself is also a symbol that helps give us insight on this mysterious character. As I mentioned in the last paragraph, this backpack - and the weight it carries - is the stress on the Happy Mask Salesman. This anxiety that he is without Majora's Mask is a heavy load for him.

And finally, we come to his most defining features in his design - his masks. These masks all symbolize the different sides of him. Just looking at the picture on the right, we see two emotions on the masks that are quite evident. The first is the look of horror on the gray mask. This mask is his emotions displayed when Link returns without Majora's Mask. The second mask, one of cunning, is below the mask that displays horror. This is the most prominent mask, which is why it is the most human-like of the masks - save the Mario mask Easter egg. This mask is his most worn one, so it is most similar to him in appearance.

So this makes you wonder: was his outburst genuine, or was it a cleverly crafted ploy? I believe that this outburst was, in fact, a work of acting in order to seem genuine. His emotions, or lack thereof, are the selling point to urge Link onward. By seeming distraught - by seeming human! - he tricks Link into continuing the journey to recover Majora's Mask.

His clothes give off an impression of wealth. Yet this also is an illusion that he has so cleverly crafted. In creating this illusion, he paints a picture of trustworthiness, of nobility, and of power. He uses these ruses to gain Link's trust, in an effort to retrieve Majora's Mask. Everything, from the clothes he wears to the masks he uses, are carefully chosen to achieve what it is that he desires most - Majora's Mask.

This cunning is what makes him my favorite character in design.

In the OP it states that "Design meaning everything from the actual person (their facial features/race etc.) to their clothing. So this is purely aesthetic and not down to the actual personal traits of the character." which of course you did not adhere to, but I am happy that you did not stick to just discussing aesthetics because as you just demonstrated it is important (when talking about a character) to not just talk about either aesthetics or personality separately but to also discuss the relation ship between the two.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
I'd probably say Zant. He just looks like a BA and his mask is creepy as frick and awesome and his voice... well... before you hear the real one, is super deep and frightening. He just looks super legitimate

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
@ Herman Cain

I salute you good sir, awesome analysis of the character!

OT: I'd have to go with the characters from TP design-wise. I love Ganon from TP. Seriously the most 'scary' character that was ever seen in any Zelda game. Never has Ganon seen less human than in that scene where he is supposed to be executed. He looks like a wild beast.

maxresdefault.jpg

I love how at one point his pupils are gone and he seems to be in an animalistic trance or something. Best Ganondorf in any of the series design wise.

@ Herman Cain

I salute you good sir, awesome analysis of the character!

OT: I'd have to go with the characters from TP design-wise. I love Ganon from TP. Seriously the most 'scary' character that was ever seen in any Zelda game. Never has Ganon seen less human than in that scene where he is supposed to be executed. He looks like a wild beast.

I love how at one point his pupils are gone and he seems to be in an animalistic trance or something. Best Ganondorf in any of the series design wise.

That's a good observation about how he looks like an animal, though for me his scenes were always slightly undermined by his distractingly weird hair and mismatched voice. I find Wind Waker Ganon more effective because on the surface he looks older, wiser, and less of a warrior compared to the Ganon we know from OoT, though still unmistakably evil - then we see him cut loose at the end and it's all the more scary.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I've always loved TP's Ganondorf design. As Mask Salesman said, Gaon has never appeared more intimidating. And while his hair was a bit odd in this game, it still worked to make him look like a beast. In truth, he looks extremely similar to OoT Ganondorf, aside from one big change. TP's head was less narrow, giving him more of a combative appearance. OoT looked more cunning in that game, and less of a fighter. The change was a good one IMO.

Zelda from TP was also a strong candidate for one of my favorites. I most liked her when you first meet Zelda, dressed in robes and hiding her face. For some reason, I really liked that needless design choice. And then we see the real Zelda as a princess. Aside from most Zelda titles, Zelda truly looks like royalty. Not a princess archetype. I really loved that we didn't see a pampered princess, like Tetra's revealed Zelda appearance.

And lastly, the King of Red Lions. The color choice was one of the many aspects I loved about him. WW was full of vibrant colors, but the KoRL's bright red always looked fantastic to me. And with WW HD, his improved textures made him a sight to behold. I absolutely love every choice made with him.

Last edited:

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
And now that I think about it I have to give an honorable mention to Feirce Deity Link. There is nothing about him you can't like. Awesome design, awesome sword, just an awesome character.

mm__fierce_deity_vs_majora_by_kurkoboltsi-d2pxou9.jpg

This might be my favorite piece of Zelda fanart I know. I just hate it that we know so little about the Feirce Deity mask. To me, it's one of the most intriguing things in the Zelda mythology.

Should I even have to mention my favorite design for a character?

scrn_zeldaWindWaker-03_zpsfd8ba234.jpg

Most people like the more mature, serious looking Link, but I just love his childish cartoon form in Wind Waker. His adorable expressions on his face, his cute voice, and his short stature just makes me love the little guy more than the other Links. This design really fits this particular Link since he's a kid in the game. If he were an adult, he'll just look odd.

Like I said before, WW Link is my favorite incarnation of the character. It's all because of how adorable he is.

Ganondork

goo
And now that I think about it I have to give an honorable mention to Feirce Deity Link. There is nothing about him you can't like. Awesome design, awesome sword, just an awesome character.

mm__fierce_deity_vs_majora_by_kurkoboltsi-d2pxou9.jpg

This might be my favorite piece of Zelda fanart I know. I just hate it that we know so little about the Feirce Deity mask. To me, it's one of the most intriguing things in the Zelda mythology.

My understanding of the Fierce Deity is that as the antithesis of Majora, he has a very similar background. While Majora consumes the wearer, it appears that it's the intentions of the Fierce Deity Mask's wearer that really affect his behavior. I almost wonder if he exists solely as a means of checks and balances for Majora, almost like the Four Giants and the Moon. While he is shrouded in mystery, we can still glean some small degree of understanding based on his struggle with Majora.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
A lot in WW (Link, Tetra, Ganondorf, Prince Komali, etc.)

I LOVE the forest minish character design haha and the other higher ranked minish like Melari and Librari and such

TP Zelda, Zant, and Agitha

The oracles

sooo many good ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom