• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite video game soundtrack?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Witcher 3 - It isn't just good for a game soundtrack. It is good period. There are few games out there with soundtracks that could rival those in big Hollywood blockbusters but W3's is one of the ones that can. Its music isn't just background noise. It is a big part of the experience and complements a battle or an area perfectly in every instance I can think of. Not only that but there are many pieces that are good to listen to just for enjoyment when not playing.

Honourable Mentions include:
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Twilight Princess
Wind Waker
Metal Gear Rising
Asuras Wrath
Halo

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
The Doom reboot soundtrack is pretty amazing just because it mixes industrial and metal so well. It's pretty djenty too. Final Fantasy 9 also has an amazing soundtrack. Halo Reach and Halo 2 are pretty up there for me in terms of soundtracks.

A rather long list of some of the soundtracks I think are quite good. I could not be bothered to shortlist any and order them.

Binaries (PC)
Blaster Master (NES)
BreakQuest (PC)
Chronotrigger (SNES)
Demon's Crest (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
DOOM (PC) - 1990's original
Master of Orion 2 (PC)
Mega Man 2 (NES)
Secret of Monkey Island 2 (PC)
Quell (iOS)
Sim City 4 and Rush Hour (PS)
Star Fox (SNES)
Super Mario Galaxy and Super Msrio Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Terranigma (SNES)
Tetris Attack (SNES)
To The Moon (SNES)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions (WiiU)
Tyrian (PC)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (WiiU)
Zelda ALTTP (SNES)
Starcraft and Broodwars (PC)
WoW and TBC (PC)

Metroid Prime- it fits so well, too well. I'm sometimes never aware of the music in games but MP's music is one of the major things i took from it while playing.

Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time are close second and thirds.

Lone_Garurumon

Standing Out
I actually wanna say Sonic Heroes. Say what you want about the gameplay, but the soundtrack was on point. Every bgm fit the stage great, and the team and final boss themes were awesome.

Mint Elv

Fish!
Danganronpa series. I just love the music and it always fits the tone and whatnot. And its recognizable. I also love the music in Flower, since it also always fits and really gets you into the game.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
There are so many I want to mention — I'm listening to Graeme Norgate's exemplorary work on the TimeSplitters series at this very moment, and Marty O'Donnell's soundtracks for the Halo series are almost beyond description, then there's David Wise's music for the Donkey Kong Country franchise, F-Zero GX, Jeremy Soule's masterworks for Morrowind and Oblivion... Christ, I could keep going — but when it comes to the crunch, my all time favourite soundtrack is that of Spyro the Dragon by Stewart Copeland.

Copeland's work on all three PS1 Spyro games is excellent, but the first stands out the most. I can't even think of how to explain what I love about it so much. Obviously, the tracks are just flat out good with not a single lull in quality, but there's something intangible beyond that. The way he maintains an overall consistent theme and tone despite giving each of the six regions a distinct flavour and texture, the way he weaves so many layers together in subtle mixes that reward an attentive listener, the way the music draws you into a beautiful world of colour and magic and gives the game a sense of flow even when you're standing still...

It's an amazing soundtrack to listen to for concentration, too. Any time I write, this is my go-to background music. Most of the time I read, this is on. Whenever I'm having a bad day, it never fails to perk me up. I love this soundtrack. I am in love with this soundtrack. If I ever met Stewart Copeland I'd tell him what an impact this music has had on my life and then politely ask if I can kiss him once on the mouth.

'Lofty Castle', 'Dreamweavers' Home', and 'Stone Hill' are some highlights.

Ninja

Well well well
My favorite video game soundtrack would have to be Final Fantasy X. Every single piece of music fits the towns, villages, battles, and atmosphere perfectly. It’s an absolutely gorgeous soundtrack and perhaps the only one having a piece that gets me emotional. To Zanarkand is crazy good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom