• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least Favorite Dungeons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Favorite:
Sand Ship (Skyward Sword) - This dungeon was such a cool concept, and I think it was pulled off extremely well. The time shift mechanic was a ton of fun, and the level design overall was really tight. The Ship didn't feel like a big expansive space like many dungeons are, so it wasn't overwhelming, but they really packed a lot of great puzzles into it.

Least Favorite:
Eagle's Tower (Link's Awakening) - I chose this as least favorite not because it's a bad dungeon. It's actually an amazing dungeon with really cool level design and a super neat mechanic with using the iron ball to knock down pillars. When I look at it today, it stands as one of the best dungeons of all time. But as a kid, I HATED it. I always dreaded this dungeon. I couldn't wrap my 10-year-old brain around the ball puzzle, and I would always end up losing the ball and spending hours wandering the dungeon looking for it. Once, I even managed to cause a glitch that sent the ball to a place I couldn't access, and I had accidentally saved over it, so I literally could not proceed and had to start the game all over. Super frustrating. Great dungeon, but as a kid, def my least favorite.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Favorite:
Sand Ship (Skyward Sword) - This dungeon was such a cool concept, and I think it was pulled off extremely well. The time shift mechanic was a ton of fun, and the level design overall was really tight. The Ship didn't feel like a big expansive space like many dungeons are, so it wasn't overwhelming, but they really packed a lot of great puzzles into it.

Least Favorite:
Eagle's Tower (Link's Awakening) - I chose this as least favorite not because it's a bad dungeon. It's actually an amazing dungeon with really cool level design and a super neat mechanic with using the iron ball to knock down pillars. When I look at it today, it stands as one of the best dungeons of all time. But as a kid, I HATED it. I always dreaded this dungeon. I couldn't wrap my 10-year-old brain around the ball puzzle, and I would always end up losing the ball and spending hours wandering the dungeon looking for it. Once, I even managed to cause a glitch that sent the ball to a place I couldn't access, and I had accidentally saved over it, so I literally could not proceed and had to start the game all over. Super frustrating. Great dungeon, but as a kid, def my least favorite.
I totally have gotten gotten the ball stuck by glitching and it took me making a lot of wrong turns and "Haven't I passed this pillar before?" to beat Eagle's Tower. Very frustrating.

I totally have gotten gotten the ball stuck by glitching and it took me making a lot of wrong turns and "Haven't I passed this pillar before?" to beat Eagle's Tower. Very frustrating.
Yes, it does all begin to look the same after a while, doesn't it? For me, the worst thing was accidentally throwing the ball down a pit and having NO idea how to get to that particular area of the floor below.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Yes, it does all begin to look the same after a while, doesn't it? For me, the worst thing was accidentally throwing the ball down a pit and having NO idea how to get to that particular area of the floor below.
It would have been one thing to make people find the place they dropped the ball (oh ha ha, guys, very clever) but then they throw all this crystal switches at you. SO MANY CRYSTAL SWITCHES!!

I liked City in the Sky from TP. Challenging puzzles, Awesome item (Double Clawshots), and an epic boss fight (Argorok).

My least favorite is probably death mountain from the original LoZ. Took me forever.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
Some of my favorites: Eagle Tower (LA), Great Bay Temple (MM), Stone Tower Temple (MM), Water Temple (OoT), Sky Keep (SS). Call them gimmick dungeons, but I really like dungeons where the architecture is part of the puzzle, and it forces the player to look at the map. It's one of the ways the Zelda series keeps the dungeons from feeling like an endless series of rooms, when you have to think about how it all fits together. They're are some great ones from the Oracle games and from Twilight Princess as well. I also liked the timeshift-stone dungeons in Skyward Sword.

If any dungeon is my least favorite, I probably don't remember it. I usually don't blame dungeons for feeling tedious or difficult, aside from a few exceptions, but I hate it more when a dungeon feels uninspired or forgettable.

Din.Farore.Nayru

Extraordinary Machine
Favorite:

I finished Sandship last night, and I LOVED it. The boss was also a great one, and I enjoyed the journey over to the Sandship too. I'm enjoying Skyward Sword so much!

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I'mma pick my faves and least faves from each game that I have played enough to have a solid opinion about it, or just dungeons that left impressions with me one way or the other.

Favorites:

Forest Temple (OoT): Love the music, the atmosphere and the design.
Snowhead Mountain (MM): The only dungeon I actually enjoy in this game. MM's dungeons are pretty weak tbh.
Tower of the Gods (WW): The only water based dungeon in a video game that didn't piss me off.
Temple of Time (TP): Close tie between this and Snowpeak Ruins. Both are fantastic, but the latter part of the ToT is so perfect.
Sandship (SS): While Skyward Sword isn't my first pick for a Zelda game, its hard to deny how amazing the Sandship is.

Least Favorites:

Water Temple (OoT N64)/Fire Temple (OoT 3DS): I know this is a super common one in some ways, but I absolutely despise the Water Temple...if only because of the iron boots mechanic in the original game. Pause, put on boots, pause, take off boots, repeat. It slugged the pace down and made the dungeon so tedious. But since that was sort of fixed in the 3DS version, the Fire Temple would my next least favorite just based on dungeon design. In concept its really cool, but the Fire Temple is the least interesting of all the dungeons to me. Yes, even when compared to the Water Temple.
Great Bay Temple (MM): F*ck this place.
City In the Sky (TP). Slow. Tedious. Annoying. Drab. Uninteresting. Blah. One of my least favorite dungeons of all time. While I remember most of the things about it based on how much I've played it, doesn't mean I enjoy it.
Wind Temple (WW): Kinda ironic how the wind based temple of WIND Waker ended up being the worst dungeon in the game. Ah well. I hate the fan based mechanic and Makar was more of a nuisance in this one than Medley.
Ancient Cistern (SS): While there were cool concepts and a kickass boss, the whole dungeon fell flat for me. But then again, not many of the dungeons in Skyward Sword interest me. Ah well. Also swimming mechanics in Skyward Sword were just god-awful.

FrozenDragon

Relatively Quirky
Favorite goes to the Spirit Temple in OoT :3 too much epicness, awesome music and three Iron Knuckles (my favorite enemy from OoT and MM) as well as the Mirror Shield and Twinrova <3

Least favorite is the Great Bay Temple in MM D: always got lost and wasted too much time, and I never mastered the Zora's swimming mechanics, so I sucked at it, lol :'D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom