• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Board Games?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, or if it should go in General or Media instead, but I'm an avid board gamer, and I think in many ways, some great board games scratch the same itch that video games scratch. Does anyone else out there love tabletop board games? If so, what are some of your favorites?

My list of favorites at the moment includes:
  • Munchkin - A hilarious card game that mocks D&D and is just a blast to play
  • Ticket to Ride - A fantastic Euro-style game. I prefer this over Settlers of Catan.
  • Takenoko - Another fantastic Euro, not very difficult to learn, but tons of fun.
  • Friday - a great solo deck-building game that really feels like a quick video game in many ways.
  • Homeworlds - an abstract strategy game somewhat like chess.... but in space. Check out Looney Pyramids. They're awesome!
  • Hive - Another two player abstract strategy game. Can be carried and played anywhere with no board. This one is mine and my wife's overall favorite.
  • Bohnanza - Bean farming and trading has never been so fun. Seriously, check it out.
I'm always looking for new great games to play, so leave some suggestions!

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
monopoly is a classic and a guaranteed laugh in my family! D&D is fun if you like that sort of thing and I know a lot of people who play the magic: The gathering card game and they seem to enjoy that.

monopoly is a classic and a guaranteed laugh in my family! D&D is fun if you like that sort of thing and I know a lot of people who play the magic: The gathering card game and they seem to enjoy that.
I definitely still enjoy Monopoly, though I think many modern games have really surpassed it. It's just so classic though.

I'd love to play D&D but have yet to find the right group of friends for it.

karu

Panamaniac
The only board games that I have any recollection playing and enjoying are Checkers, India, and some weird messed up version of Jumaji

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Star-Trek-3-D-Chess-3.jpg

Mido

Version 1
I played a good amount of board games in the past, but have only really begun to appreciate them over the last few years. I suppose my favorites include the following:

Key to the Kingdom: Fortunately, I was able to be exposed to this one. It's an extremely fun adventure game where the players collect treasures. I haven't played it in years, however.
Stratego: Simple strategy game, but fun!
Monopoly: Iconic, and proves to be a good time when the timing is right, especially during the endgame.
The Resistance: Sort of similar to the game of Mafia in that there's two alignments opposing one another, but nobody gets eliminated. A neat game of deception that only gets better the more players one has.
Candy Land: The simplest of board games, but it can get intense sometimes in my experience! Drawing that unlucky color can mess everything up!

I would include Liar's Dice to the mix, but I don't know if that counts (not to mention, I was introduced to it through Red Dead Redemption). I definitely would like to play this for real one of these days.

Blockus: Trigon- Fun strategy game in which you want to get rid of many of your color pieces that you can while blocking your opponent. However, the pieces cannot touch an edge of a piece with the same color. They can only touch the corners. (Example: A blue piece can only touch the corner of a blue piece, etc.)
Yahtzee- A game in which you try to roll the best combinations of the dice to obtain the highest score.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I love board games! I wish I got more opportunities to play them. Some of my favorites are:

• Dwarven Miner
  • Four Taverns
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Munchkin
  • Settlers of Catan
  • Trivial Pursuit
  • Clue
There may be some that I'm forgetting about, but those are the main ones. I also love any type of trivia board game.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I love a good game of chess. I dont get to play often unfortunately but I'd like to play more.

I always used to like Cluedo, though I haven't played that in a long time.

Monopoly can be fun but it tends to drag on sometimes.

I have played the Lord of the Rings tabletop strategy game yet my friend who introduced me quit a few weeks later so I never continued with that though I would have liked to.

I'd love to play D&D but have yet to find the right group of friends for it.

I'm actually going to give this a go soon. I have a group of people interested in playing so that should be fun.

I love board games! I wish I got more opportunities to play them. Some of my favorites are:

• Dwarven Miner
  • Four Taverns
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Munchkin
  • Settlers of Catan
  • Trivial Pursuit
  • Clue
There may be some that I'm forgetting about, but those are the main ones. I also love any type of trivia board game.
A few of these are unfamiliar to me, like Dwarven Miner and Four Taverns, so I shall check them out!

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
A few of these are unfamiliar to me, like Dwarven Miner and Four Taverns, so I shall check them out!

Both of those are by the same company, Rather Dashing Games. One of the creators used to be on the show Ghost Hunters, but now he makes board games. They're an awesome company that makes great games though, so you definitely should check them out! Both of the guys are super nice. I've met them a few times at conventions and you can tell they genuinely love what they do.

Both of those are by the same company, Rather Dashing Games. One of the creators used to be on the show Ghost Hunters, but now he makes board games. They're an awesome company that makes great games though, so you definitely should check them out! Both of the guys are super nice. I've met them a few times at conventions and you can tell they genuinely love what they do.
Watching a review of Dwarven Miner on Youtube now. Looks awesome! I love learning of board game companies I wasn't familiar with. Less known games are sometimes the best!

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I'm a big fan of board games. Here's just a few of my favorites:

Werewolf: Werewolf is a fun mafia style game where each player has a different ability, helpful or not. The goal is to find the werewolf before he kills everyone.

The Apprentice: A board game based on Donald Trumps reality show, The Apprentice. This game involves team descisions and some strategy. The game is narrated by Donald Trump himself so even if you don't like the game, it's always a good laugh.

Coup: coup is a hectic scramble for power. You are in control of two cards. These cards can either give bonuses, or counter another card's ability. The idea is to eliminate your opponents cards via Coup or assasination while still keeping your cards alive. This game is all about bluffing, breaking friendships, and seeing which of your former friends is the most corrupt!

Mtg: Magic has been a favorite for as long as I can remember. I love the strategy involved in making decks and just the stories behind each series of cards.

Dice Masters: DM is a fun dice collecting game. It comes in a variety of themes (TMNT, Yu-gi-oh, Marvel, DC) so no matter what you are into, you'll probably have a dice set to collect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom