• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Explaining the Gerudo Race

first off the issues are:
1(a). the gerudo are all female
1(b). only one male is born every hundred years

these lead to the following issue:

2(a). as it stands all Gerudo of a given generation would have to be the children of the previous Ganondorf
2(b). The Gerudo would have to have a long lifespan to even accomplish the male being born every hundred years if the previous is the father.

genetically 2(a) would cause the Gerudo to die out after only a few generations due to the high risk of birth defects, deformities and potential infertility.
2(b) ...seriously how many women can you impregnate and still have time to conquer hyrule???

thus i believe that the Gerudo reproduce asexually through parthenogenesis using the ZW sex-determination(females are ZW or WW, males are ZZ) system to account for a wholly female society with an abberant male caused through mutation.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I'm considering tagging this onto Din's old post.

As for section 2, I'm aware those problems exist. That's what makes me believe so firmly that there is only one Ganon.

As for 2a, this is why I see the Gerudo as gradually fading away over time. This is supported in how there are no "confirmed" Gerudo after OoT; there are only those that bear semblances to the Gerudo, and very few at that. There are two "Gerudo-esque" characters in PH (Linebeck's ex-girlfriend and her sister), and one in ST who runs the "Take 'Em All on" challenge in Castle Town. I doubt these are of pure Gerudo ancestry, because of Ganondorf's death after TWW. On the CT, there are none that I can recall at all after OoT.

I imagine that 2a was achieved by all the females essentially serving as concubines to the male, as that's the only way I could think 2b could be done efficiently. However, to the best of our knowledge, Ganondorf is the only Gerudo King to have attempted to conquer Hyrule, and to the best of our knowledge, we have never seen that Ganondorf had a child. 2b implies that in fact, he didn't have time for both, and hence didn't have a child, because he did conquer Hyrule. To me, it seems that, before Ganondorf, the Gerudo were largely isolationist and not malevolent at all, and were suffering from their isolationism, explaining why previous Gerudo Kings had time to impregnate children. I mention they were isolationist because of this quote:

Spoilers: The Wind Waker

Ganondorf said:
My country lay within a vast desert.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes.
No matter when it came, the wind carried
the same thing... Death.

He said that the wind "always" brought the same thing, implying that it had always been the same for the Gerudo. This is why I think that he yearned for it so much, and that Ganondorf was a different leader to the Gerudo, bringing promise (explaining why he was so revered by the Gerudo in OoT).
All these things seem to imply to me that the Gerudo fade away; there even seems to be a level of literary foreshadowing in that speech. Very clever, Nintendo, very clever. :yes:

navi_the_fairy

Spirit of the Forest
There is a gossip stone (I believe right outside of the Temple of Time) that states that the Gerudo women often come to Hyrule Castle Town to take men as their mates. I'm not entirely sure how ALL of their children except 1 every hundred years is a male, but that's prolly something genetic. If they are finding mates, then the male wouldn't have to be ALL the women's mate. So, I don't really believe they reproduce asexually. I'm not sure why they all died out, but I hope this helps solve part of this mystery lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom